1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any "The Voice" Fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by shadowraptor, Apr 17, 2014.

1. shadowraptor

I'm OBSESSED with this show. I was just wondering if anybody felt the same way. So, I wanted to dedicate this thread to the discussion of all things "The Voice". Just, you know, don't leave me all alone to wallow in my obsession. :grin:

So, Top 20 had the Playoffs the other day. I was pretty content with the coaches' choices (despite the fact that Shakira is known for making some pretty horrific choices) although I was really sad to see Madilyn, Stevie, Melissa, Ryan, and Patrick go. Other than that, I'm very excited to see what the rest of the season has to offer - there are some pretty good voices left in the competition. This leaves us with
    Team Adam: Delvin Choice, Christina Grimmie, Kat Perkins
    Team Shakira: Tess Boyer, Kristen Merlin, Dani Moz
    Team Usher: Josh Kaufman, Bria Kelly, TJ Wilkins
    Team Blake: Sisaundra Lewis, Audra McLaughlin, Jake Worthington

So here's my opinion on how it should go, assuming each of them performs their best (and also assuming the format is the same as Season 5):
    Week 1 (Top 10): TJ Wilkins (Team Usher) and Jake Worthington (Team Blake) should go home. I like Jake, but he doesn't have the power or variety, and everyone's gonna hate TJ out of the show for taking Melissa and Stevie out.
    Who's Left: Delvin, Christina, Kat, Tess, Dani, Kristen, Josh, Bria, Sisaundra, Audra.​
    Week 2 (Top 8): Kristen Merlin (Team Shakira) and Josh Kaufman (Team Usher) should go home. Kristen's great (and as a plus, she's lesbian), but she doesn't have the variety or power that, say, Dani or Christina do. And Josh pisses me off for some reason.
    Who's Left: Delvin, Christina, Kat, Tess, Dani, Bria, Sisaundra, Audra.​
    Week 3 (Top 6): Delvin Choice (Team Adam) and Audra McLaughlin (Team Blake) should go home. I've really been rooting for Delvin, but when you compare him to someone like Bria or Sisaundra, he falls a bit short. And Audra, like Jake, is too strictly country. Although she's good, there are way too many other good singers and she sounds kind of generic.
    Who's Left: Christina, Kat, Tess, Dani, Bria, Sisaundra.​
    Week 4 (Top 5): Tess Boyer (Team Shakira) should go home. As much as I like Tess, of my Top 6 there's no way she'll be able to overpower them. She was originally in my top 5, but the remaining five and fierce contenders.
    Who's Left: Christina, Kat, Dani, Bria, Sisaundra.​
    Week 5 (Top 3): Kat Perkins (Team Adam) and Dani Moz (Team Shakira) should go home. These two were by far the underdogs of the entire show (perhaps along with Ryan Whyte and Morgan) and I would take them this far. But bringing them to the Top 3 would do an injustice to the three best singers on the show.
    Who's Left: Christina, Bria, Sisaundra.​
    Finale: Alright. The Top 3 in my book consists of the three best singers on the show, or at least in my opinion: Christina Grimmie (Team Adam), Bria Kelly (Team Usher) and Sisaundra Lewis (Team Blake). These three have the most versatile voices and they've proven they can each sing any genre. So, based entirely on their voices (and note that I am a HUGE Grimmie fan), my rankings would be: Sisaundra in first place, with Christina in second and Bria in third. Sisaundra has the most power of all the three, Christina the best stage presence, and Bria the most diversity, but in my mind I can ONLY see Sisaundra taking it, unless she has a freak trainwreck.

So these are my opinions... what about yours? :grin: (!)

2. BornAnew

Been watching the UK one!! I really wanna watch the US one though, I heard its better. I'll get back to you once I've caught up

3. Trentacles

LOL yeah, i saw the thread and was thinking "omg i hate it" but i've only seen the uk version. i think it's to much about the coaches and their arguing with each other than about actually finding a good singer.

4. Hiems

I was so mad that Christina Marie didn't win the UK version. Jermain's voice sounds different but Christina was amazing every time she stepped on that stage... :/

I am watching the US version right now. I thought battle rounds 2 was an interesting twist instead of having knockouts. I miss the knockouts, but it's okay because battle rounds 2 were pretty good. In particular, Sisaundra and Biff Gore's battle was the best battle ever, holy crap.

Shakira's team was pleasantly surprising during the playoffs. I know a lot of folks were mad that she picked Dani over Clarissa, but after Dani's cover of Edge of Glory, I think Shakira knows what she's doing. I also like Tess and Kristen.

Christina's fan base is so large that she'll probably be in the finals based on precedent. Cassadee Pope and Tessanne Chin had large fan bases prior to getting on the show and they won.

Sisaundra needs to be in the finale. She's way too good haha.

5. shadowraptor

I agree with everything you said. Although I do think Christina has the largest fanbase of any contestant on the show, she earned them through actually being a GOOD singer. Her lower register is killer and she can hit some pretty high notes with ease. If you think she's gonna make it just on precedent, listen to "I Won't Give Up" and tell me she isn't good :grin: But seriously, even Jason Mraz himself complimented her on it.

But I totally agree that Sisaundra NEEDS to be in the Top 3. Her battle with Biff had me like :dead:

I was so pissed when Shakira picked Dani and not Clarissa, because Clarissa was the only person on the show I liked more than Sisaundra. But with her playoff performance, Dani is a fierce contender. And I wasn't surprised when Deja went home, but Tess's performance of "Human" just didn't do much for me. Kristen's great and all, but I don't think she's had enough exposure (montaged twice) to really pull through.

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I adore The Voice! I'm watching the italian version :slight_smile:

7. shadowraptor

Whenever someone says The Voice: Italy, I immediately think Sister Christina. :icon_bigg

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

This news is arrived to New York? :eek: That's amazing...

9. Hiems

^ That video was on YouTube's home page a number of times, so I think a lot of people have seen it...

I feel like Christina hasn't had a breakthrough performance yet. Cassadee's cover of Over You pretty much won her the show, and Tessanne had moments almost every week. I really liked Wrecking Ball but still waiting for a performance that can top that one.

10. shadowraptor

Wrecking Ball was one of my favorites, but I love how Christina connected to I Won't Give Up. Counting Stars was great as well. But yes, she definitely needs to cover a really powerful song for her breakthrough moment. I'd love to see her cover Aguilera. :icon_bigg

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No Biff fans?

It was really exciting seeing him on this show, especially since he sang at my aunt's wedding (he's the pastor of the couple). And no, he didn't do the kick, and if he did, both my father and the owner of the piano he was playing wouldn't be too happy with Biff.

Still, I remember how amazing it was hearing him sing, even when we were packing up the wedding, and I was just there going "How is this guy not in a professional setting?"

So as you could probably tell, it was pretty sad for us to see him go. My father and I heard Sisaundra's note close to the end of "It's a Man's Man's Man's world" and we're like... "damn."

12. Hiems

Holy crap, it's cool that Biff performed at your aunt's wedding. Haha, I like how Adam and Shakira pointed out his signature moves, e.g. the kick, the shake.

He made a good effort against Sisaundra, but she's such a beast like you said due to that note :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I still get goosebumps hearing it!

13. Im Just Me

I never watched it much before since I don't watch much tv, but I do love listening to the voice battles.

However, I'm following this season because I've loved Christina Grimmie for years so I'm way excited and rooting her on.

14. shadowraptor

NEW EPISODE TODAY -- LIVE SHOWS!!

It's very upsetting that I get so excited over this... but Christina, Sisaundra, Bria, Dani, Kat... I just can't. :bang:

15. shadowraptor

Alrighty. Just watched the episode. This is gonna be tough.

Alright, let's work our way down the list, shall we? :wink: We'll go by how many points out of 10 I think each deserves (in reference to the 10-vote system)

1) Sisaundra Lewis - "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" - 10/10.
    - No comment. She blew me away. That's all I have to say.

2) Christina Grimmie - "Dark Horse" - 10/10.
    - God, this just reaffirms the fact that Christina is, to put it mildly, a BEAST. She got a bit shouty on one of the high notes but GOD the girl can SAAAANG!!

3) Bria Kelly - "Rolling in the Deep" - 10/10.
    - Ah, Bria. She never fails to disappoint. I like that she had the courage to take it down a few steps. Most people will only ever take it up, but that shows that she's not afraid. I like that.

4) Kat Perkins - "Magic Man" - 10/10.
    - Absolutely nothing to critique. And I'm happy she took whatever that was on her lip out of the show.

5) Kristen Merlin - "Stay" - 10/10.
    - I really, REALLY feel for this girl. I swear Burnett, the producer, is out to get her because she's lesbian. Her two battles were montaged, now her mike is cut... I think we got cheated out of a REALLY good performance. But from what I heard, she SLAYS.

6) Tess Boyer - "I'll Be There for You" - 9/10.
    - I think Tess is experimenting with her music, which is really good. She's definitely one to look out for.

7) Josh Kaufman - "Stay With Me" - 8/10.
    - I still don't like Josh, and I can't put my finger on why but this performance made me have at least a little more respect for him. He hit some really nice notes there. I think he's the strongest male competitor on the show.

8) Delvin Choice - "Unchained Melody" - 8/10.
    - Delvin, Delvin, Delvin. This performance opened the door to a new side of Delvin I haven't seen before. I'm starting to like him more, but the girls are still beating out most of the guys... unfortunately...

9) Audra McLaughlin - "Angel of the Morning" - 7/10.
    - Audra is still a bit one-dimensional, even though this is a little out of her ball park. I like her, but make it far in the competition? I don't know.

10) TJ Wilkins - "Waiting on the World to Change" - 5/10.
    - TJ surprised me with this. He had a few notes that were good, the chorus was nice. But he really had to strain for some of those high notes, and it doesn't change the fact that there are, like, less than an octave's worth of notes to hit.

11) Dani Moz - "Just Give Me a Reason" - 3/10.
    - Dani is one of my faves, but she really didn't pull it off that well on this one. Given the choice between my bottom three, she'd be my save, but this song is WAY too overused and she really got my hopes up and let me down. Her chorus sounded strained and out-of-breath and despite that one glory note towards the end it was a bit of a sad performance.

12) Jake Worthington - "Anymore" - 1/10.
    - The blowout of the show. The first half was pitchy and way too sharp, the second half was decent but it was butchered too early on for me to like it. There is no reason for Jake to stay into next week, as much as I like him.

My predicted bottom 3: Jake Worthington, Dani Moz, TJ Wilkins.
    My Top 3: Sisaundra Lewis, Christina Grimmie, Bria Kelly. :eusa_clap

16. Hiems

I really liked Kristen's performance. That mic malfunction... do the producers want her to leave just because she's lesbian? There have been other people who have been open about their sexuality in the past, but I do not recall anything like this happening. If there is a conspiracy against her, then that's not right at all. But they say that the show must go on, and she didn't let the problem throw her off.

17. shadowraptor

I loved her performance as well. I can't be sure if they're ACTIVELY trying to get rid of her, but from what's happened so far with her I wouldn't really be surprised. But if anything, the mike malfunction gave her even more votes, and it might have even been strategic to get her more iTunes downloads as well (so people can see what they missed). She's already at #46 on the iTunes chart. But I don't think we'll be seeing her in the Bottom 3 this week.

18. shadowraptor

No idea how Tess was in the Bottom 3.

Really hoping that the order in which they saved people wasn't chronological: I think they just saved Bria, Christina and Sisaundra for last to build up the pressure. Everyone else deserved to be there except for Jake, who should have gone home.

Am I the only one who thinks Tess isn't as good as I though she was? Out of the three, TJ should have moved on to the next round.

America is stupid. This is "The Voice", not "The Popularity Contest".

I assume that next week, we will be saying goodbye to Tess and, hopefully, Jake.

19. Hiems

I feel like Blake would have been a better coach for Tess. After all, he picked the song that she sung with Jake, and her performance made the other three judges push the button to save her. But Blake needs to have his country singers on the team as always, and so he chose Jake over Tess.

Once America starts voting, the title The Voice becomes a misnomer for the show because the contestants are no longer judged solely by their talent. If voters voted solely on voice, then Judith and Sarah wouldn't have been eliminated in the same week 2 seasons ago. That's just how it is...

Josh's performance by far was my favorite. I'm rooting for him and Sisaundra. I wonder if Adam regrets picking Delvin over Josh now, lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. shadowraptor

Alright, that ain't right.

1) Why is Jake in the Top 8?
    2) Will someone PLEASE tell me HOW Kat Perkins is in the Bottom 3?
    3) Why was Bria eliminated?
    4) Did I mention how is Jake not gone yet?

It was clear that Grimmie and Sisaundra dominated. I agree with all of the Top 8... except for Jake. That spot should clearly have been given to Bria, and how Kat got into the Bottom 3 is mindblowing.

We need Jake out people. Can you not see that?

Bria's performance was rocky, but it was better than whatever it was Tess or Jake put on Monday. And her last-shot was fantastic, but Kat dominated, as expected. Which makes me think, "What is wrong with America"?

But on the positive side, we've got Christina, Sisaundra, Josh, Kristen, Kat, Audra, and Delvin moving on. And then... there's Jake. :dry: