1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football. (Soccer to those not from the UK.)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miiaaaaa, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
  2. Yosia

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do have a slightly biased opinion, being a Liverpool fan but...
    The amount of passion here is absolutely breathtaking! The fact we're even challenging for the title after finishing 7th is incredible. And unlike Man City and Chelsea, we're not really spending big money to compete. It's coming from the manager and teamwork! :slight_smile:

C'mon lads, do it for Captain Fantastic!

4. aldine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You have one of the best players in the world now too, Luis Suárez.

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Indeed!

A lot of neutrals are backing us too! Feels nice. :slight_smile:

6. Foxface

I love soccer...watch PSV Eindhoven and Tottenham when I can

but for my money, watching Tahiti score on Nigeria during group play was an ultimate moment for me

7. CharlieChalk

I don't have a Premier League team (despite being English) but I want Liverpool to win it this year too!

They have played the best football by far (and I despise Chelsea :lol:slight_smile:

8. Stacy in MA

Woo hoo! When I saw the NHL Playoff thread I was hoping to find an EPL thread too, but only saw the one for the World Cup.

I'm a newbie Liverpool fan (I'm a huge Red Sox fan who was looking for an EPL team to root for when John Henry bought the team) and have been loving this season - both for the results as well as incredibly entertaining type of football they have been playing. It has certainly been a lot more enjoyable than the the last couple of seasons :slight_smile:

I'm hoping to go see them play Roma again at Fenway Park when they tour the US this summer.

Four more matches to go - am crossing my fingers that they can hold on!

9. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a shame that Spurs haven't clicked yet, would love to seem them in the top 4. :slight_smile:
    And I like watching PSV, they have some cracking youth players!!

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2014 at 11:19 PM ----------

:d

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2014 at 11:23 PM ----------

That makes sense! You've chose a wonderful team to support! Not all that successful in recent years, but have cracking fans and play good football. And very passionate, hard to find that love for the game these days! :slight_smile:

And I'd love to see some of the pre-season games. Should totally go to the States on holiday and get a ticket for the Roma match! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    (Wish I wasn't poor now, haha!)
    And yeah! 4 cup finals to go!! :wink:

But it's not just an EPL thread, all football discussion is welcome here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    (I personally cannot wait for the World Cup! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

#9 Miiaaaaa, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  10. aldine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Which team do you think will win UEFA Champions League this year? If Chelsea beats Atlético de Madrid, I think it'll be Chelsea, if not, I go for Bayern Munich.

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't see past Real Madrid as this point. I think Bayern v Madrid will be an epic we'll talk about for years to come, but Bayern looked shaky at times against Man Utd and if they have another oddball 20 minutes again Bale & Ronaldo will rip them apart.

Since I've mentioned everyone's favourite Welshman (unless you support Barca) I'm duty bound to say go watch his goal in the Copa Del Ray final, thing of beauty it was.

And my reaction when I saw it -

[​IMG]

I think Chelsea are favourites in the other one, but I can see Athletico just going for it. They've got nothing to lose at this point and they had Barcelona in all sorts of problems with a full on attack, just need to work on converting chances.

#11 GeeLee, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. CharlieChalk

As a Barcelona fan, not Real Madrid. As someone who hates Chelsea, not Chelsea.

I'd actually like Atletico to win the league and the CL (although I can't see them winning the latter). They have played the nicest and most consistent in La Liga and on half the budgets of Madrid/Barca, so it would be awesome to see them win.

As for the CL, I wouldn't mind Bayern being the first team to win it twice in a row. I have a soft spot for Pep, and like I said earlier, anyone but Real or Chelsea :lol:

13. Boban

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love Football for many reasons. This is one of them. :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I want Atlético to win it, but my money's on Real Madrid.
    And that Bale goal was a beauty!!

And there are many reasons like that to watch, but my tastes in men are probably a bit *erm* different in that regard. :L

15. peace2day

Any Arsenal Supporters? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Stacy in MA

I didn't want to just jump on the band-wagon of a team at the top of the table, but I didn't want to have to immediately worry about relegation either. I wanted to follow a team with a rich history and a chance to make more (even if not immediately) - it just seemed like a good match at the time. It seemed like there were a lot of parallels with my Red Sox - hopefully there will be one more come May :icon_bigg

That was a nice touch by Gerrard - hopefully they take it to heart. If this team has been guilty of anything lately it is playing down to the competition... well that and playing heart-attack inducing defense :icon_wink

I know, me too, but the World Cup can wait a little while! Besides, the qualifying is over, the groups have been drawn, and the arguments over who got stuck in the group of death have subsided a bit - I want to enjoy this EPL season a little more before my attention heads to Brazil.

I have to say the visibility and popularity of the EPL over here in the US has never been higher. I think MLS was slow to capture the attention and hearts of the now generations of American kids who played tons of "soccer" growing up and the EPL slipped right in. That's not to say that MLS isn't improving - it is and seems to be moving in the right direction - but I think there are a lot of fans here who identify themselves with an EPL team instead of one from MLS, when I think there is room for both.

It is unfortunate that the situation with my local MLS team, the New England Revolution, is so bad. They play in an American Football stadium that seats 60,000 with only 10,000 to 14,000 fans at most matches. Even with the best efforts of a few very dedicated fan groups the place has no atmosphere at all. Most MLS teams have gone to smaller, "soccer-only" stadiums and that seems to have made a big difference to the entire game day experience. I think Boston would really embrace and fully support a team if it played in a smaller stadium within the range of public transportation. Unfortunately, that won't happen with the current ownership, who are only concerned with driving traffic to their out-door mall and filling up a few more dates on the stadium schedule. They are the worst owners in the league, which is remarkable considering that they are arguably the very best owners in the NFL (go Pats!).

Sigh, sorry for the long Revs rant - enjoy the day of football everyone!

17. Gallatin

One look at my avatar and it should be clear where my loyalties lie. YNWA

18. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    ynwa! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

Yeah, because of NFL, NBA, NHL, football's probably never gonna be huge in the US, even though it is getting better. Go Seattle Sounders. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Isn't the US to large to realistically have a main league anyway, for travel reasons?

19. CharlieChalk

...And there goes Jose Mourinho reminding me why I absolutely hate the man! I'm glad he lost... total sore loser!

20. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

He always blames someone else for his team losing, Chelsea were just poor today. Im glad he is back in the English prem but his sarcy comments after today's game were bad. Liverpool to win the title now, they have been playing the better football in the league this season.