1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Giver movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 19, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    The trailers look disappointing. They changed the main characters' ages. They made everything futuristic and romantic. I will probably still watch it, but it just doesn't seem to have the same mystery, innocence and horror that the book had.

2. Abbra

I don't know why they would even want to make a movie about The Giver in the first place. I have no problems with the book, but it's clearly supposed to just be a book. The fun of the story is it being told from a certain perspective and the psychological effect it has on the community, when you actually get down to it, not a whole lot of action happens in the book. It's just a lot of thinking.

But Dystopian Future is super in right now for young adult fiction and everybody is trying to cash in before the fad dies with the final Hunger Games film. They are probably going to try and force The Giver to be like every other Dystopia movie that's coming out in that it's about an attractive teenager whose going to "fight the man" because government is totally lame and we need to free think. There are going to be giant battles despite the fact that the lead never actually fights and is actually a pacifist.

TLDR; They are cashing in on an old book before the Dystopian Future well gets dried out.