1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers Unite.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Emberstone

I was wondering if there were any other writers here at EC. If so, post about your writing here so we can share our interests.

Right now I have been working on a series for nearly 4 years *4 years this mid november*, and I am working on finishing the third draft of the first book, and have a first *very rough* draft of the second book. I also am working on a rough first draft of the third book, and using this run through of my outlines to find any problematic plot holes that need to be discovered and worked on for my more serious second draft.

I discribe the series as one large adventure/thriller for young adults told over the course of 7 books. It originally started off as a trilogy, but as the story continued to grow, it hit me that I was either going to write huge 900 page books, or I would have to cut alot out and write smaller books in a trilogy. Eventually I decided to try it as 5 books, and it was better, but it was very awkward to divide everything. In the end, I settled on 7 books which works out well, and allows me to write everything I feel compelled to write story wise, but also allows me to go into more detail and depths as I dont feel worried about if I will have enough space in a book to do what I feel needs to be done.

Currently, the series so far is about 200k words. The first book's thirds draft is 87k words, with the second book's first draft is currently 78.5k words. The third book's first draft is about 52k words in, and my estimate by my plan is just about halfway through the third book. I am really enjoying the writing of it, even though my current chapter in the third book hit a snag I foolishly didnt forsee when I outlined the books years ago. I am working through that issue at the moment while continuing to work on finding a agent.

I have had four responces, two were form letters from large agencies, and two were personal responces for two smaller agenceies. one of the responces said that they were not taking on new clients at the moment, but that I should continue to work on finding a agent, and the other gave me a few tips on what i could improve on, and said they couldnt take me on because they already have a few books in that genre and they prefer not to spread themselves out to thin and prefer to focus on their current client then bring in potential competition.

I last week submitted to a new agent, but I dont expect to hear back for a while. they recently added a new agent to the agency, so they will likely have space for new clients, so I am hopeful.

2. hairdye

Hi. :]
    writer here.

your series sounds exciting.
    and it sounds like you've put a lot of work, effort and thought in it.
    let me know when you get published. :]

I'm actually trying to find a job writing for a newspaper or something.
    And on my downtime, I'm working on an autobiography.

I just graduated high school,
    but boy did I have ONE HELL of a senior year.
    everyone kept telling me I should write a book.
    and I like writing, so I decided to give it a try.
    it's coming along well.

it's mostly comedy, as it's the type of person I am.
    it's about living on my own, starving cause I had no money,
    living off popcorn for 2 months, coming out to parents.
    sleeping on a bed for 6 months. and a lot of other ridiculous stuff.

I'm hoping it will turn out to be everything I want and more.

3. Reyka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a journalist for one of Reykjavík's larger newspapers. And even though you can really hone your writing and textual structure skills when writing for about ten hours every day, I still struggle with my creative work.

I've written some plays and poetry and even gotten one of my poems published, but none of them were really that great. I've tried my best at writing short stories but I can't seem to find the right story to tell, I don't really know what I want to write about.

I guess I'm still waiting for that great idea to pop into my head...

4. Steam Giant

Aspiring writer here ^^ I write fiction. The worst thing for me right now, though, is learning to stick with a single idea. My inability to do so results in a pair of novellas and a few short stories being all I can boast in my portfolio. I love writing, I really do, but I just have so many new ideas, and it's so hard to ignore them.

My only active project right now is A Glass Out, a series of short stories that can be found in issues of Full Spectrum Magazine (issue 1 and issue 3, so far, though I will also be submitting material for issue 4). I'm in the planning stage for a few new projects, but I'm not certain which one to go with yet.

As far as what I write, I favor science fiction. Many of my sci-fi stories take place in the same universe, a world of my own design. Stories in this setting tend to be either cyber punk or, more recently, transhumanist.