1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Macbook owners...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emile, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Emile

Emile Guest

Next month, I'm moving into my new apartment so I won't have a computer... :frowning2: And I need one for college. So, I'll buy myself a Macbook. But before buying it, I have some questions that I can't find the answers to...

Question #1
    It's about MSN. I don't wanna give up on MSN. I still wanna talk to my contacts. I know there's Messenger for Mac, but you can't even see webcams :frowning2: lol. Is there software with which you can do so, and maybe, more than with Messenger for Mac?

Question #2
    I heard that there are gonna be new Macbooks in a few weeks... is it true? If so, what's new?

Question #3
    White or black? lol, stupid question. I really like both, but my hands are always uber sweaty so I don't think the black one is a good choice, since my fingerprints will be all over my Macbook all the time lol. But the white one, I'm afraid it's gonna get all yellow-ish with time... will it?

Question #4
    Is it a good idea? Buying a Macbook? By the way, I don't really care about the price since my government is lending me money to buy it for my studies, hehe.

Thanks for answering my questions!

#1 Emile, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Question #1
    It's about MSN. I don't wanna give up on MSN. I still wanna talk to my contacts. I know there's Messenger for Mac, but you can't even see webcams :frowning2: lol. Is there software with which you can do so, and maybe, more than with Messenger for Mac?

Macs have an integrated iSight camera at the top. I'm not sure if you could use that. You could open a .Mac account and chat with others who have it as well. You have to pay for it though :frowning2:

Question #2
    I heard that there are gonna be new Macbooks in a few weeks... is it true? If so, what's new?

There is a rumor about a "MacBook Touch" but that's just gossip. Don't always believe in it. I imagine that when it comes out, it will obviously be problematic due to demand/supplies and other problems. Who knows?

Question #3
    White or black? lol, stupid question. I really like both, but my hands are always uber sweaty so I don't think the black one is a good choice, since my fingerprints will be all over my Macbook all the time lol. But the white one, I'm afraid it's gonna get all yellow-ish with time... will it?

I got the white one! :slight_smile: The apple does look prettier in the black one and the contrast of the desktop too, but I just didn't like the color. If you are REALLY good with taking care of things, you should have no problems with the white one. It does look pretty at night...:lol:
    There's always protective cases for them too!

Question #4
    Is it a good idea? Buying a Macbook? By the way, I don't really care about the price since my government is lending me money to buy it for my studies, hehe.

I thought it was. It's SO much user friendly than a PC. It's SO easy to use, efficient, you learn really fast, tons of applications (some free!), cool widgets, and sooo much more. I sure wasn't dissapointed.

I hope I could help a little. At the end, it's always subjective. Best of luck in choosing, and have fun with it if you do get one! :slight_smile:

3. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i have a macbook :grin: with msn and i can see webcams. i bought the microsoft for mac package when i bought it.. it came with all the normal microsoft applications so that my existing pc files would be compatible and also msn :slight_smile: it does have a builtin camera but i dont use it cus webcams creep me out lol, but i can receive webcam from my friends.

I have no idea, but i think macs are meant to be pretty durable, so they are always compatible with any updates. and they retain their value. apparently. like how the first ipods are still around.

i got white. they didnt offer me a choice when i bought it but i prob woulda had white anyway cus of the fingerprint issue ^^. i sure hope it wont go yellow lol. mine hasnt yet!

i dont regret getting mine. there are some things i miss.. like a delete button, and ive gotta relearn all the commands. im still trying to figure out the differences, but im pretty slow with computers lol. i think the benefits outweigh the costs. and im hoping that itll be way more cost efficient in the long run. + theyre really pretty looking :grin:

4. Emile

Emile Guest

Wow thanks everyone for the replies :slight_smile:

I did some research and I found aMSN. Does anyone know about it? Apparently it's best software to use MSN on Mac...

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I use aMSN on Windows Vista. It works very well, includes webcam and file transfer support, and doesn't have any annoying adverts. It's open-source too.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Question 1: Try aMSN that Paul mentioned. Before anyone thinks of saying Skype, IMHO Skype is terrible for video conferencing. AIM might work?

Question 2: I think the cases are going to be less toy-like, a little slimmer, more rounder, "greener", possible more aluminum. Taking cues from the Air. I believe the actual hardware specs will remain largely unchanged. No idea how new models vs. old models will fit into apple's pricing scheme. They might be more likely to lower prices to clear out the old models. On the otherhand snobby elitist mac users will snub you for using "old obsolete" equipment. Also like anyone else, generally the first lots of new mac lines have some slight manufacturing wrinkles that get ironed out later. The current series has been out for a while so you know they're solid.

Question 3: The Black macbook is incredibly overpriced for a hard drive upgrade (which is all it is spec wise) and Apple makes pretty good margins on the Macbook as it is. If you wanted to upgrade the hard drive in the Macbook it isn't that hard (Macbook pro or iMac it's a PITA).
    Pricing at Futureshop in Canada
    Black Macbook
    $1550 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard drive

White:
    $1350 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard drive

90GB of hard drive upgrade does not cost $200. At a local shop a 250GB hard drive costs $100. So you could buy a 250GB drive, a $20 enclosure to put the original 160GB one in, a can of black spraypaint, and still end up ahead. Hell a 320GB drive is $150. What's even more outlandish is the price difference between a 160 and a 250 is $15 retail, and trust me, Apple pays a lot less than that.

As far as discolouring.... I wouldn't really worry about it. But it seems that Apple users are more trendy and discard their old products at a moment's notice before they have time to age... Though there are some snazzy looking coloured silicon covers that you can use to customize it, and give it a bit more protection.

Question 4: The Macbook isn't a bad laptop, IMHO it is pricier than a PC for what you get, but not too outlandishly so. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Also that is an absolutely terrible attitude towards debt.

7. Emile

Emile Guest

Well, thanks everyone for answering my question :slight_smile: I think I'm gonna get a white one hehe. With aMSN!

Why would it be? I'll get 2000$ in debt anyway. It's either no computer for college during 3 years or 2000$ in debt and a computer. Might as well buy something good. :wink:

8. Andrew

Totally agree with you on that.. Rather then getting a piece of crap lasting for 1 month LOL. Good choice on getting a mac. I have a iBook G4 and my brother/sister dropped it like 200 times and it still is working. I got it when I was 13, so 2 years ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

-Luis

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was referring to the "I don't really care about the price". I mean yes buying a tool for school is fine, but the way loans work is that you do have to pay them back, and I know people that rack up ridiculous debt by the end of schooling, and that's something that should be minimized as much as possible.

Really the reliability between different brands of laptops is shockingly narrow.

4 years ago I bought a "Piece of crap" for $25 and it's still rock solid, still has a 3 hour battery life and is almost 12 years old. I've never dropped it because there's a serious risk it could damage the floor.