1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight portrayals of LGBT

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BlackRabbits, Apr 24, 2014.

1. BlackRabbits

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi folks!

So, I recently caught up with the TV show 'Looking' (which I actually really like), and I know a number of the main protagonists are played by straight actors. While I'm totally chill with queer characters being portrayed by straight people, I'm not sure how I feel about 'campness', or speech and mannerisms associated with LGBT people being performed for a job by people who won't ever have to deal with homophobia. The idea of 'play camp' seems a little disgusting, especially since it's something that's been used a lot in the past as comedy and a way to mock people.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but it leaves me feeling a little grossed-out when I see this, considering LGBT people consistently get shit (and face violence) for not being gender-conforming.

Anyone else have thoughts on this, or the portrayal of LGBT people in the media in general?

2. jeweledweevil

Out Status:
    A few people
    It does make me uncomfortable because it continues the stereotype of LGBT people being "different" than normal people. Why can't they play a LGBT person who acts like everyone else and just happens to be LGBT.

3. Gen

Gen

There isn't an obligation for those actors to avoid expressing a "camp" character because the objective of increasing the visibility isn't to convince heterosexuals that we are exactly as they are. It is to make evident that what we are is perfectly fine and respectable in itself. The push for the portrayal of the masculine gay male and feminine gay woman does nothing for those who fall outside of that archetype. It does nothing to encourage the recognition of the lack of justification behind the strict and sectioning standards that are enforced by society in regards to gender and expression.

Actors are there to carry out a role, regardless of their personal nature, beliefs, or orientation. Complaints on this topic would never arise from a feminine gay male taking on roles calling for masculine straight males.

4. Hiems

The problem with Looking is that all of the gay characters leaned toward masculine, which is a departure from how the media portrays us as being camp.

Queer as Folk (U.S.) did a better job of showing gay and lesbian characters who varied in terms of gender expression. The gay guy who was more camp is actually gay in real life, so there's nothing uncomfortable about his portrayal of the character. There were also gay characters who leaned toward the masculine side. Likewise, the lesbian characters differed - some leaned towards butch, while others leaned towards feminine.

I think we need to have more TV shows that show variety regarding gender expression, regardless of sexual orientation. This way, people realize that everyone comes from different walks of life and that that's okay, like Gen said.

Also, I don't see a problem with straight actors playing as gay characters. If anything, their portrayals would help them better understand the issues that LGBT folks deal with. Having more educated allies wouldn't hurt.

5. sammy1

Agreed!