1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite OS?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Brendon, Jul 31, 2008.

?

Favorite Operating System

1. Windows XP

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Windows Vista

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. OS X

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Some form of Linux

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Brendon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm hoping that I'm not the only nerd around here n.n;

So what is everyone's preference on Operating Systems?

I love OS X, but I hate Macs for being overpriced, so I run it on my PC :grin:

2. pirateninja

[​IMG]

PC forever :grin: I use Vista, which is working well. But XP was good too.

#2 pirateninja, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. PatC

My favorite OS is a form of linux called "Damn Small Linux(DSL)". The bigges reason I like it so much is because its only 50mb, but is amazing to use, not as amazing as Vista, but its still my favorite:slight_smile:.

4. Trystan

definitely linux, i go for the larger distributions, cos they've got way better graphics than vista and mac and it's free :grin: Just youtube it
    converted my whole family and three friends lol they all approve.

5. berileos

berileos Guest

Windows XP,definitely

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Unfortunately my favourite OS and what I actually use are not the same thing. If I was able I would use one of the major Linux distros but there is the old issue of applications. So I use Windows (Vista on my laptop, XP on my desktop). Serious progress is being made though, and it is ever easier to find good free open source applications for most purposes, many of which run on Linux and Windows. So hopefully the point when I can move to Linus is not too far away.

I voted for Linux.

7. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use 98, which I think was and still is an amazing OS. The amount of compatibility available is astounding. XP was pretty good, and for people that are good at tweaking, XP can be extremely powerful. I use Vista too, but its graphics are a bit cheesy for my taste.
    I use OS X for video editing for school and work, but I really don't like them much. I don't need developers holding my hand when I use the computer, so Macs in general irk me.
    I like Linux a lot. I am currently using Sabayon, Puppy, and Slackware. I have tried many distros though. DSL was great though. If you use Compiz and Beryl (now Compiz Fusion), the graphics are way better then anything Apple or Microsoft can come up with. Compiz Fusion is constantly evolving. Mmm, if you have the horse power, its stunning. KDE 4 looks promising too. I can't wait to use it.

All distros have their strong points and their week spots, so its really hard to choose. I will always stand by Linux though.

Here is something that pokes fun at all oses (I wrote none of it except for the Vista Air part):

Longish post. Sorry.

8. Bookmarked

It had to be Windows Vista, for the "Oooh, new wallpaper!" things. Though, to be honest, if my computer can let me access the internet, type things and shoot zombies I'm happy enough to marry it.

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like all of them and hate all of them.

I picked XP due to the fact that it runs the widest range of software, and runs decently on an absolutely massive range of hardware, and hasn't given me any serious issues.

Vista has some nice features but also has some problems.

OS X is the only truly user friendly *NIX though the cost, limited software / hardware, and snobby user community are downsides.

Linux is good in that it is free (as in speech and beer), does run on a range of hardware, but the software selection isn't there, and it's still not "there" IMHO as far as being truly user friendly.

DSL is an amazing distribution in that it does the vast majority of what people need, but is tiny. When you compare the footprint of DSL against any normal desktop distro, it's obvious that most distros are "as bloated" as windows. Unfortunately not everything runs on DSL.

I've amazed people at my 12 year old laptop running Windows98. Still runs foxit great, it can run IE 5.5 or K-melon OK, runs "off by one" great, and is still useful for word processing.

As far as the airplane one, obviously it was written by a pro-Linux user. IMHO Linux shares a lot of the same traits as the UNIX airline. They also forgot to mention that it only flies into a limited selection of airports.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use Linux fulltime, but it isn't there yet.

10. I wouldn't mind either XP or OS X. I just think that OS X is faster, more efficient, and more user friendly. But I guess it's subjective.

11. Pyro

OS X. Why? you ask. Because I had windows before. nuff said lol

12. Corny

Corny Guest

BeOS .. in case anybody knows that :slight_smile: too sad that it didn't get developed further.

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh oh, pick me pick me!!

My PII used to dualboot to BeOS many years ago. I think I still have a disk image around. Ran well, unfortunately there wasn't much to run.

Anyone remember PC GEOS / GeoWorks? Our family's first PC (a 386SX) came with this instead of Windows. Like Windows you loaded in from DOS, so it wasn't a full OS. It featured pre-emptive multitasking, long (32 char) file names (for things produced by its own applications), a decent word processor, a nice file manager. Ran quite well but never developed into much.

Windows 3.x ran like crap on the computer. For starters it basically filled the hard drive. The hard drive was 40MB which we used the program "Stacker" to fit 80MB on it.

14. Rette

Linux here. I'm currently using ubuntu. I keep playing around with Slackware a little bit, but I always get bored before I get a decently working distro and switch back to ubuntu.

15. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to choose, right now.

1. OS X. Because it's stable and efficient like Linux, but user-friendly and the programs I need run on it.

2. Windows Vista. It's too resource-hungry and still less safe than Unix-like stuff - but it's decent. That's what I'm using now.

3. Linux. It has potential but it isn't quite there yet, and probably never will be. The development model is flawed; the open-source community seriously needs to WORK instead of argue endlessly over if something is as free as it should be. I don't care if I see the code or not, I want it to DO what it's supposed to.

4. Windows XP. Because I've always hated it. It seems designed by Fisher-Price, it's old, outdated, lacks features, unsafe...

16. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Why do I ALWAYS think Linux is something sexual?

Vista!

17. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I run Windows XP right now and I have no plans to change until Vista gets some duct tape and staples to fix it up. Everything works just fine with XP, so I don't see any reason to switch over just yet.

18. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Im using XP atm but I will be buying a new computer soon with Vista but I will also have xp installed. The first one I used was win98 and I still like the design so I made my own windows98 theme with win98 icons and windows. :grin: (its slightly different from win2000)

Ive tried mac, well I use for my music course and I find it really hard to use. Not having the right click makes me feel like Ive lost me other fingers:rolleyes: Anyway, I dont like it.

19. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Linux here. Currently running the latest version of Linux Mint.

20. Ty

Ty Guest