1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the Flesh (British zombie/gay drama) - anyone see this?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Apr 27, 2014.

1. 741852963

This is a really interesting drama on the BBC. Basic premise is the dead rose as your fairly typical flesh-eating zombies, but with compulsory medication return to an almost human state and are returned to their former lives.

***Tiny spoiler alert***: What is really interesting is that the main zombie guy is gay and had originally killed himself due to the depression from living in his homophobic, working-class village. And the folk in the village are not too keen on having the reanimated back and hunt them down vigilante style.***Spoilers end***

So you essentially have two layers here. Its demonstrating the homophobia of the village prior to the dead rising, and the fear of difference. Then you have that same fear and hatred directed towards the undead (who are also different and misunderstood). It reminded me of what you see in Russia (with the vigilante packs hunting gay people like animals). Also the depiction of the "northern" village really hits home to me - I live in a very similar community where "men are MEN" [insert manly grunts and chest beating] and difference is not well tolerated.

Anyway, an interesting watch if you have the time. It is back on Iplayer for all you Brits, and I'm sure the rest of you in the wider world can find it somewhere! Second series (or season to you Americans!) is on its way too.

2. 101DeadRoses

Hmm. Sounds interesting! I love zombies, and drama so.. will check it out.

3. 741852963

Enjoy!

4. Dented

YES. First series was amazing, can't wait for this to start up again.

5. newfish

This is just about to come to the U.S., they've ben showing ads. That sounds interesting, although I'm not really a zombie fan.

6. 741852963

You may still like it as its definitely not "zombie" in the traditional sense - rather it is "post-zombie" (the aftermath when zombies have been "cured"). Its a very interesting concept, one I've not seen done before (although the French serial "The Returned" is slightly similar minus the "zombification").