1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GBF (Gay Best Friend) Film

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Trentacles, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Trentacles

[​IMG]

^Poster in case you've never heard of it.

___

So I randomly just watched this film online and it was weird imo. Probably not the best choice for the first gay film i've watched.

I don't really know what the point of it was. Its obviously supposed to be targeted at gay people (i think) but I found it kind of offensive with some of the stereotypes etc.

I also really hate seeing people who look like they're 25-30 acting like they're 17. I'm pretty sure one of the ladies from Orange is the New Black is in it also.

Anyway, has anyone else watch it? Any suggestions on better gay films to watch?

2. newfish

Ugh. I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure if it is targeted at gay people because, from what I can see, the main character is a stereotype the media loves to use. "We have gay characters! Wait, they're not supposed to be 1-dimensional copies?"

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen this mentioned before! I think there's a thread about this movie already. I kinda want to watch it to see how bad/funny it is.

4. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As much as I can take an interest in gay-related videos, films etc. I have not seen this one and I don't plan to looking at that posted. I think I will probably cringe throughout. It kind of bothers me though most of the gay stereotypes are actually not all that common.

They exist, and I don't have a problem with those who have similarities to the stereotype. But people I've heard talking about gays and what I've read seem to paint a picture that we all act the same way.

This is what this film looks like it would be to me anyway!

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this movie is targeted at straight women.

6. Daydream Harp

The poster alone makes me think this could be the worst film of the year, though I don't plan to find out =P

7. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked this movie!

Yes, the look of the film is over-the-top flamboyant, and the humor has to do with gay stereotypes. But there's a little more going on. There are lots of innuendos and satirical jokes sprinkled throughout. The three popular girls represent different types of people and how they react to gay men in their midst. It was also a send-up of all the hetero-oriented teen comedies from the '80s. I grew up watching movies like "The Breakfast Club" and "Pump Up the Volume," and this was a fitting entry in the genre.

But some other gay movies I'd recommend are:

Big Eden
    Shelter
    Brokeback Mountain
    Maurice
    Trick
    You Should Meet My Son!
    Milk
    Latter Days
    The Trip
    Weekend
    The Celluloid Closet
    A Single Man
    Beginners
    Handsome Harry
    Saved!
    Save Me
    The Donald Strachey Mysteries (Third Man Out; On the Other Hand, Death; A Shock to the System; Ice Blues)
    Beautiful Thing
    Were the World Mine
    ... But I'm a Cheerleader (this one's more of a lesbian movie but does have a gay guy subplot)

8. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

In all honesty I want to just take the ol' word bat and bludgeon it to death, whether its good or not.

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you took the words outta my mouth haha

10. Projectfabulous

I've watched this movie like 5 times (not necessarily proud of that). I think it was more so targeted at pointing out stereotypes, making fun of them, and showing how treating people that way is unfair and obviously wrong. Was it a good movie? eh not really.

11. 741852963

I appreciate its probably a parody poking fun at gay stereotypes but I'd question whether the straight female audience this will primarily be marketed at will necessarily understand that. Or will they just see it as a fun film about "GBFs".

And from the posters and the trailer it appears the premise is a guy reluctantly comes out and becomes a GBF to the popular girls? I'd question why he is so well-dressed, again playing on the stereotype that any random gay man you pick will instantly know about fashion and enjoy dressing up in preppy clothes. I haven't seen the film though, for all I know he might end up as a mosher at the end, one could hope.

12. White Knight

It is a funny & enjoyable movie and that is enough. Better than gloomy+depressive+self pittying movies flooding the market.

What were you expecting from a teenager movie? They always follow similar rules/concept.

13. 741852963

To be honest I think most straight girls would be incredibly bored with me as a gay best friend, unless they had a real passion for playing Halo, jam sessions and watching sci-fi films. And my thought process when it comes to fashion is "if it fits, it's fine" so clothing advice is out of the question. :icon_bigg

It reminds me of a funny video series:

[YOUTUBE]Disappointing Gay Best Friend: LADY GAGA - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

14. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen the film... I think of it as the gay "Meangirls" in terms of how funny it is and how "up-to-date" it is with the current pop culture scene. I liked it because it's lighthearted and you don't have to think about it too much. The main character is actually not as flamboyant as he appears to be in the poster. It's actually kind of sad that he forces himself to fit the "gay mold" because he doesn't want to get bullied in school.

It's a pretty smart film because it tackles the struggles of being gay in highschool. Another film that's really good is "geography club"... this one's a bit more serious.

15. Trentacles

Yeah, I can see the mean girls comparison. I just thought it was trying to hard to be funny. LOL i have no idea why i watched the entire thing but oh well.

16. JessicaWolfess

That poster gave me cancer

17. Silas

I caught this on Netflix the other day.... yeah it's kinda like an updated Mean Girls/Clueless, cheesy and campy and totally crazy but lighthearted with some cute moments and fun dialogue. I was cracking up at all the new words and snarky one-liners they came up with :lol: I enjoyed Michael Willett (Tanner) in this, he's playing Shane on Faking It now... fun seeing Megan Mullally too!

#17 Silas, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
  19. 741852963

I love TED talks and that was quite interesting.

When he was talking about articles I remember once seeing this (very infuriating) one:

Does every woman need a gay best friend? | Mail Online

In summary: all gay men love shopping, are stylish and on trend, offer free protection for women, like to flirt with women and have endless wit.

The line that really gets my goat is: "He'll be a very unusual GBF indeed if living a stylish life isn't high on his list of priorities." What the?! Its bad enough being made to feel different for being gay, now we can be even more freakish if we don't like living a lavish or materialistic lifestyle? :bang:

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    We were gonna watch it the other day, but will watch soon. Looks terrible though. XD