1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is soccer the most homophobic sport in the world?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KyleD, May 1, 2014.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Why haven't I heard of any famous gay soccer players who are active players?

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I think so. Here where I live, soccer is like a religion and they're nearly all homophobic.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny considering there's the most physical affection shown between players too XD.

4. Daydream Harp

Pretty sure other "mannly man" sports can easily compete (hah, pun) in the homophobia field, like with American Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey, etc. though obviously I am no expert on this so I could be wrong.

5. aldine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The only famous gay footballer I've heard of is Thomas Hitzlsperger, a former German player who played in the German national team, but there is a lot of homophobia in football in general.

There is a story about Pelé himself though that his first sexual experience was with a gay teammate when he was a teenager. He told it in an interview decades ago, but recently he denied it saying that the media that published the interview misunderstood what he said. Now he said there were many of his teammates of that time who had sex with this gay player, but he did not. He said that if it were so he would admit it now, because one makes a lot of crazy things when young.

6. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I beg to differ.

Attached Files:

7. LiquidSwords

I'd like to think rugby is leading football on this, racist and homophobic abuse does not happen in rugby like it does in football. I'm just being defensive because I love rugby though ha, I guess there's a lot of way to go for both/all sports.

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure about homophobia. I have always thought of soccer as a more feminine sport though. Those guys running around in their knee high socks and little shorts playing with balls.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

Football is pretty disgusting when it comes to homophobia, I'd say it probably is the biggest offender.

Anyone who has ever been to a football match will no doubt have heard the intolerant chants that are passed off as "banter" and "gang culture" and that does nothing but make it even more difficult for players to come out.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Its definitely up there as one of the most, if not the most. Some of the chanting by fans can be really bad as Racism and Sexism still exists in the sport.

11. White Knight

Homophobia is common in all "manly" sports, football/soccer is one of them.

I think people find it easier to come out with indivudal sports than team sports.

12. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Possibly yes. There's a reason only two players have ever come out and that's because they're afraid to is my guess. Those are Thomas Hitzlsperger and Robbie Rogers (US fans might know the latter better).

I'm not really sure about homophobia in other sports. But what I can tell you, as a big watcher/fan of Snooker, as a completely non-physical game, nobody is openly out as LGBT at the moment. (according to facts it is a sport, whether it should be I don't know hah)

This said, there is a much smaller spotlight on snooker players. The spotlight on the best footballer in the world (arguably) Cristiano Ronaldo, simply doesn't compare with snooker #1 Neil Robertson, I bet nobody here has even heard of him.
    Additionally, there's no homophobia in snooker whatsoever obviously...

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I follow it too much, as it's not all that big here, but it does seem the crowds get rather worked up with taunts and such.

I'd say Baseball is less homophobic, as far as sports go. MLB in the US even has an anti-discrimination clause, and there have been gay players, and it hasn't seemed like such a huge deal.

Maybe because it doesn't seem like such a rough and tumble, contact sport? I mean, yes, it's quite physical at points, but not like the Incredible Hulks in American football, smashing into each other.

#13 HuskyPup, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Both waited until they were at the end of their soccer careers to come out.

Wasn't there a gay soccer player who killed himself a while back too? :dry:

#14 KyleD, May 2, 2014
  15. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sort of. Justin Fashanu you're thinking of.

He was charged with sexual assault of a 17-year-old boy. He didn't think he'd receive a fair trial because of his homosexuality, so he ended it there.... He apparently stated in his suicide note that the sex he got arrested for, was consensual.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's American football. Rapeball. Or handegg. Whatever you prefer.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have :thumbsup:

Does seem odd that in the British game we haven't had an openly gay player since Fashanu. I think the interesting thing to watch would be how fans respond if a gay player isn't doing the business on the pitch; are they going to blame it on the usual football things or are they going to blame his sexuality? Hell what would they shout; would they stick to the usual or would they decide that because he's openly gay that means faggot et al are warranted?

#17 GeeLee, May 2, 2014
  18. ZenMusic

His name was Justin Fanashu, and my Dad made an implicit remark about how he deserved it.