1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorta lost my passion for reading :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NicoletteChris, May 2, 2014.

1. NicoletteChris

I used to LOVE reading a whole lot, it was my favorite hobby and I used to read 5-10 books a month and was obsessed with books, the library was like my second home to me. Overtime though it seems like I've stopped reading more and more. I'm a teen so when I check out books I go into the YA section at my library, I'm not too interested in adult books unless nonfiction ( maybe I will become more interested overtime but not now)
    Anyway, I notice A LOT of the books in the teen section are all about heterosexual relationships and it sort of bums me out. First of all, I can't CONNECT to the books/characters because obviously I can't read a passage about a heterosexual make out scene and be like " hot damn I want that!" or enjoy it at all. Another thing, reading books that have heterosexual relationships in them remind me that I'm not as average as regular teens in society and it just puts my self esteem down.

I love paranormal books/urban fantasy and most of those books lately I notice are focused on paranormal heterosexual romances and also another thing even I've noticed the newer SCI FI books for teens always have some "forbidden" futuristic heterosexual romance in them.

When I thought I was straight I used to read a lot of heterosexual relationship fiction books and be able to connect to them and feel happy but since coming to terms with myself and realizing who I truly am I just don't get enjoyment from reading them anymore.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? :frowning2: I know that simple solution would be to read books not featuring any romance or hetero relationships but you can't "escape" that in a heteronormative world.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Exactly like this!!!
    I'm constantly searching for books with lgbtq characters or even relationships in it.
    I don't know but I even don't like it to watch movies with heterosexual couples. But there is a huge amount of movies like this. Especially the Hollywood ones.
    I love to read. But most of the books I have got are containing heterosexual couples. I like the storyline but the lovestory? Honestly no.
    I've got one, only one book with two...let's call them bi characters in it. It's fantasy with demons and magic and I love it!! I love the relationship the two women have. A witch and a vampire.:wink: You should read it. Them I mean. There are lot of parts. And unfortunately I only read the sixth book. Stupid I know. Oh, btw it's called "Dead Witch Walking" by Kim Harrison if you're interested.:grin:

3. Gen

Gen

Paranormal and urban fantasy have unfortunate become romance meccas in recent commercial fiction. It is one the reason why I don't usually pay attention to those genres because even despite always being heterosexual they are often all cut from the same mold.

Whenever I'm in a slump I turned to a genre that I don't normally read and find a book that seems to be highly regard within it. I find myself reading a ton of young adult fantasy for the past couple years because a writing project I'm working on is within that genre, but after a while reading all of the cliches and romances does put me off it for a bit. Then I'll turn to a contemporary, adult fantasy, mystery, etc, and take in something new. So, I would go out on a limb and try something random in between your binges of paranormal and urban fantasy. That way things don't seem as monotonous.

Not to mention, it has become common for young adult writers to not put much effort into being eloquent and poetic in their narration and descriptions, so I've found that it is refreshing to read or reread books from writers who are more expressive and masterful with their words.

4. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't really sound like you lost your passion for reading, you just can't find anything to read!

I kinda skipped over YA novels altogether and went straight to "adult" books in like grade 8, so I can't really offer any real suggestions but my mom is a school librarian and I notice she's increasingly bringing more and more books with LGBT characters/themes so I think there's definitely more books being published that may appeal to you.

I guess my advice would to be keep looking and don't give up. You'll find something soon.

5. hollybee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get your feels so much!!
    I wish there were more 'mainstream' books about homosexuality

6. Sigrid

7. AAASAS

I find reading depressing, don't ask me why, it just is.

Unless it's informative text, then I can read for hours.

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just don't know what my taste in books is anymore. I find a lot of YA books are too shallow and the adult books are unrelatable. I used to enjoy dystopian books like the giver, but now we just have a bunch of hunger games clones taking it over. I just want books that make me think, but most books are just full of romance and explosions. I used to think the dystopian genre was free from that, but apperently I'm wrong. I could read non fiction, but that's full of fluff as well. I'm interested in psychology, but most "psychology books" are just self-help or pop psychology.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, used to read a lot of YA. Loved dystopian shit but it was the same thing- after Hunger Games (which, by the way, I liked), it was nothing but shallow clone after shallow clone of authors and publishers trying to capture that same 'magic' and completely missing the mark. I mean, to be honest, I've heard and agree with the fact that Hunger Games is marketed as the thinking girl's Twilight or whatever. But the thing I think that made people pay attention to it was the fact that it completely changed the YA game- shocking scenes, a relatable protagonist, easy reading yet prompting the average YA reader to really think and challenge the world they were living in.

With shit like Divergent, it's a shallow copy. Not saying Hunger Games is the next 1984 but what Divergent was was a supposedly 'deep' concept (not that HG was necessarily deep but the setting was intriguing and seemed thoughtfully constructed) splattered together with 'hot guys' and "shock value".

But maybe, as a guy, I'm kinda the wrong target audience, lol.

But yeah. I gave up on YA a while back. It was all bad Twilight or Hunger Games rip-offs. I suffered through the first House of Night book, damn it. Never again. Never again. The plots were always the same. "Average" teenaged girl (look girls, she's "klutzy" JUST LIKE YOU!) meets brooding stranger with severe pathological violence issues. They stare at each other, share stilted dialogue, and the brooding male stranger exhibits behavior that in real life would warrant him a restraining order but in her world he's So Romantic because apparently stalking is the next box of chocolates. Shove in a cardboard villain to add "conflict", finish Dr. Diabolical Cardboard off in a contrived matter (the power of love never hurts) and Relatable Girl and Brooding Psychopath ride off in the sunset to spend six books doing the same damn thing over and over again.

So enough YA.

I don't have the patience for a shitty book anymore, not even to mock it.

I like fantasy but I rarely read it because if I wanted a Tolkien rip-off with big titted Ganaxing chicks, I'd play a crappy MMORPG. Same with Sci-fi. It takes an exceptional sci-fi to hold my attention. And wish it was easier to find the diamonds in the rough.

So right now, reading a lot of classic novels or novels by authors I'm fond of (huge Stephen King fan but even he puts out a lot of hits or misses). I find it's hard to go wrong with the tried and true favorites and as a writer, I'm interested in seeing why books are considered classics in the first place.

Just haven't found many LGBT books I like so don't read them. They're either coming of age stories or smut. Both are fine. And I like myself a good smut or a good coming of age novel. But they better be damn good and I better see some LGBT novels that aren't either at some point.

10. TatumAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You may need to branch out of YA. I felt the exact same way you did when I was fifteen. I got so fed up of childish books targeted at teenagers and them always being the same thing, so I switched to adult and my love for books has been rekindling ever since. You can find a lot more homosexual romances in adult books than you can in YA anyway, so a much better bet. If you like urban fantasy, may I suggest the Dresden Files series? It doesn't have a lot of lesbian love in it, but it isn't too focused on romance in the first place. Sort of an urban fantasy-meets mystery with a dash of horror thrown in. It's a long series, so if it catches your attention, you should be good on books for a while, and that's always a plus.

11. TheStormInside

I agree with TatumAngel, looking at adult fiction/fantasy might help you get out of your slump. More and more I've noticed in the trend of YA fiction that the love triangle precedes any kind of meaningful plot. I can see how that could get you down if you just can't relate.

Have you read any Neil Gaiman? He's a favorite of mine and he writes a lot of urban fantasy. He has a very accessible writing style and his ideas are always very inventive and interesting.

Maybe look for older YA stuff, too? When I was younger I loved Wrinkle in Time and His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass books). They do contain heterosexual relationships but they are not a major focus like they seem to be in the recent trend of YA.