1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the show "Faking it"...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by fortheloveoflez, May 7, 2014.

1. fortheloveoflez

What do you all think? I'll leave my opinions out for now.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

It's fun to watch:grin:

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it so far :slight_smile: I've seen the first three episodes...are there more? I can't seem to find them...

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

There're only three so far.:grin:

5. BelleFromHell

It looks fucking TERRIBLE. As if Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" song didn't objectify lesbians enough.

The ads I've seen alone try to push the "All pretty lesbians are fakers. Real lesbians are fat and ugly drug addicts" message. I'm severely disgusted with the lesbian community, which is why I'm still pretty deep in the closet.

Who the hell made this show, Rush Limbaugh?!

6. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Makes sense :lol:

7. itsonlyrelative

It sounds like you are only judging the show based on the ads though, one of them doesn't actually feel like she is faking her feelings. Yes it started off in a way that came off pretty offensively, with two seemingly straight girls using lesbianism to get attention (wow when does that happen in real life), but for a lot of lesbians that have felt feelings for their female best friend and been terrified by that, Amy's situation is actually pretty easy to relate to.

8. itsonlyrelative

The show's aim is not to insult or objectify lesbians. MTV is working with The Trevor Project trying to provide something that people struggle to come out or deal with their sexuality can relate to.

9. 741852963

Awww man! I thought you meant the awesome Channel 4 series of the same name!

10. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I'm really enjoying watching Amy's journey unfold. Shane is growing on me. I don't care for Karma and Liam.

11. LBSmitty

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really like it! It has a good balance of humor and dealing with amy's sexuality. I can't stand Liam. I have a feeling amy will find a girlfriend and then karma will suddenly "want" her.

12. ThePhoenix

Like I said in the other thread I want my fist to meet Karmas face , how can one person be so self absorbed.

13. Im Just Me

I enjoy it. I mean, it's definitely over-the-top and over-dramatic and has plenty of unrealistic bits, but it's to be expected. It's similar to MTVs "Awkward". It's charm is it being ridiculously over-the-top, you can't go in taking it TOO seriously.
    It does seem like a good show for people struggling though. Also, Amy is a pretty feminine lesbian, which I really like. I mean, they joke about how "she's the butch one" but that's in comparison to karma who is super feminine inside and out. But she's this pretty long-blonde hair sort of girl, and I like that they are showing that not when we picture lesbians, we shouldn't all be picturing are these super-weird outcast girls with their head shaved wearing army pants or something haha.

Anyway, definitely excited to see how the show turns out. Hope it all works out well for Amy. (But by that I don't mean her ending up with Karma. That'd bother me a lot, since they are making Karma very very straight. So if they suddenly decide she's bi to make Amy's happy ending I'll be pretty frustrated haha.)

14. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Me too. I prefer them as friends. I hope Amy finds a cute, sweet girl all her own.

15. fortheloveoflez

Ya....I can see some problems with the show in the way that it broadcasts lesbian relationships and lesbians in general...espacially when they say word for word that lesbians are accepted because they are lusted and objectified and trivialized...rolls eyes...

BUt still...I got to say I like the show in a way because I can certainly identify with Amy in a way. She is discovering that she is actually gay and has feelings for her best friend....and ladies, don't tell me that's not a common way to figure it out because most of us have been there done that...

besides that...I just think Amy is the cutest <3

16. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I felt so bad for Amy! I doubt Shane is right about Karma having feelings for her too. I just want to take her by the hand and tell her that it's going to be okay. I wish my city had a gay and lesbian coffee house.

17. fortheloveoflez

Ya I know :frowning2: It seems quite clear that Karma is not interested. At the same time, Amy kind of needs to move on and getting rejected might help her get there. But then again she deserves some one better than Karma!

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a love hate relationship with this show it's good to watch if it's funny but I don't think it's really a good lesbian show it's more for straight people who want to look at lesbians . But I'm hoping this shows some straight girls what a guy thinks of them when they pretend to be lesbians .

19. I hated the beginning plot about faking their sexuality, but seeing how Amy really could be a lesbian or bisexual, it has really been a better show to relate to. Shane is so much fun and although I hate that Karma is hurting Amy right now, I still hope Karma will end up being with Amy! And Liam is one of those characters I wish would completely go away! But yes, I am even enjoying this show a little more than The L Word now - Which is a show that although does showcase lesbians on TV, it still has a lot of biphobic statements and does promote some stereotypes too - That is why I'm happy for another show with LGBTQ characters!! I just hope the next show with LGBTQ characters has no stereotypes attached. But yes, this show is great - I hope the "pretending to be lesbians" thing goes away soon, but still, the way Amy is developing is an actual reflection of girls realizing that they love other girls.

20. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't seen the show yet, but now am planning on checking it out. When you say "get attention" do you mean from guys, or a BF? Because if that's the case I can tell you I met girls like that in college. One even approached me, knew that I identified as a lesbian, and actually had the gall to ask me if I'd be willing to do certain sexual things to her while her BF watched, because his Birthday was coming up. :icon_sad: