1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out quotes/speeches from tv shows.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by halfy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. halfy

hi all. i've decided to put together all of the coming out speeches that i have in my dvd collection. i'll give a breif description of the show for those who haven't seen it. i hope you all enjoy it and feel free to add your own favourite coming out quotes from film or tv.

Queer As Folk UK. Series 2, episode 1.

Stuart's nephew - Thomas, has found out that stuart is gay. he has attempted to blackmail him as stuart's parents don't know. stuart has decided to face the problem head on.

Margaret (stuart's mum): (nodding to the kids - stuart's nephews) god look at them. they're bored to tears. run otuside and play in the garden if you want to.

Thomas: nah, it's ok. it's much more fun. round uncle stuart's flat.

Marie (stuart's sister) : that's a hint. they're looking for a wide screen tv.

Thomas: no it's not. it's cos all his mates come round

Margaret: oh that's nice. is that Vince?

Thomas: yeah. Vince is one of them.

Marie: thomas, your granny's right. why don't you go outside and play?

Thomas: lots of men. all the time.

Clive (stuart's dad): stuart, come and give me a hand with these shelves will you?

Stuart: i can't

Clive: of course you can. i just need a hand, c'mon.

Stuart: we don't do hammers and nails, or saws. we do joints and screws, but that's different.

Margaret: who does?

Stuart: Queers.

Marie: i'm gonna get some sandwiches, cos this kitchen really needs sorting.

Stuart: Because i'm Queer. I'm Gay. I'm homosexual. I'm a poof, i'm a poofter, i'm a ponce. i'm a bumboy, batty boy, backside artist, bugger, i'm bent. I am that arsebandit. I lift those shirts. i'm a faggot arsed, fudgepacking, shitstabbing, uphill gardener. i dine at the downstairs restauraunt. i dance at the other end of the ballroom. I am moses in the parting of the red cheeks. I fuck, and i am fucked. I suck, and i'm sucked. i rim them and wank them and every single man's had the fucking time of his life. And i'm Not, a pervert. if there's one twisted bastard in this family, it's this little blackmailer here. So; congratulations Thomas. I've just officially outed you.
    ........................................................................................................................

Sugar Rush. Series 1, episode 6.

kim is in love with sugar and has decided to tell her how she feels.

Kim: sugar. shoogs, it's me. kiz. look i'm.... i'm really sorry i shouted at you. it's just... there's something i need to tell you. about me. me and you. shit. this is... it's gonna sound mental. it is mental. Sugar. I love you.
    ........................................................................................................................

2. halfy

hi again. i've decided to split the quotes up a bit to make them easier to read. that's why i've added this extra post. anyhow, i'll carry on with the rest of my quotes.

At Home with the Braithwaites. Series 1, episode 2.

Virginia is in love with next door neighbour Megan, who is cheating on her husband with the window cleaner. Virginia has discovered this affair and is very drunk and upset.

*Virginia is crying*

Megan: are you crying? virginia? sorry, i didn't realise. is something the matter? has someone upset you? try not to cry. i'm no good when people cry. here, have some more of this. * she pours a large glass of whisky for virginia* i should ring alison (virginia's mum) what's her number?

Virginia: i don't want to talk to her. i want to talk to you.

Megan: do you? oh? what about?

Virginia: i'm in love with you.

Megan: sorry. what do you mean?

Virginia: i wanna be with you, all the time. forever. i love you. sorry. I can't help it. ever since the first time i saw you; i just felt happy, so alive, as if... everything just meant something at last. i just thought it was important to let you know, that's all.

Megan: oh, and i'm glad you have.

Virginia: dunno why, it seems stupid now.

Megan: noo, never. honestly. i'm glad we've talked about this, and i want you to know i'm very fond of you. and i think you've been very brave to tell me.

Virginia: do you?

Megan, absolutely. here *pours some whisky* let's drink to us. to our little secret. how about that?

Virginia: you're taking this very well.

Megan: so long as you understand that nothing could ever, happen between us. well, it's quite a compliment really, isn't it?

Virginia: yes. yes it is. i mean that's definatly what it's meant to be. i want you to know that i have nothing but the highest most greatest, enormous respect for you.

Megan: aww. *holds virginia's hand*

Virginia: and i would never do anything to come between you and mike (megan's husband) *megan lets go of her hand* I just wanted to tell you, that's all.

3. halfy

Ok, so it's taken up alot more space than i thought it would. i'm sorry that it's a long read. btw if i need to edit the swearing, i will do. i've just quoted the speeches as exactly as i can. right, only 2 more to go now. i hope this helps anyone planning a coming out speech of their own.

At home with the Braithwaites. Series 1, episode 3.

Virginia gets picked up from the hospital by her mum Alison after being mugged. she is feeling low and decides to come out.

Virginia: everything i touch turns to rubbish. i'm a big fat failure. i can't even get mugged by a proper mugger me, i have to get mugged by a child who's too stupid to see that i haven't got 2 valid pieces of plastic to rub together.

Alison: what you need is a nice warm drink, a nice hot bath and a good night's sleep.

Virginia: there's other things aswell.

Alison: oh? what things?

Virginia: things you don't know about. I'm sorry i left the play.

Alison: you weren't in the mood?

Virginia: it wasn't that exactly.

Alison: what then?

Virginia: you've always been so fabulous about everything. whenever i do anything stupid. and i always let you down.

Alison: i don't feel let down

Virginia: you might do.

Alison: why?

Virginia: ....i didn't wanna stay, because, i didn't wanna sit next to megan.

Alison: why?

Virginia: have you got any secrets?

Alison: oh yes. everybody's has secrets.

Virginia: what even you?

Alison: mmm, one or two.

Virginia: i've got a secret.

Alison: have you?

Virginia: i don't like boys. i mean; the way other girls do. i like girls, women. i can't help it. i just, fall in love with people, and they're never men. dunno why. *sighs* say something.

Alison: i think i've always known.

Virginia: have you?

Alison: mmm, i think so.

Virginia: aren't you cross?

Alison: cross?

Virginia: upset? let down?

Alison: no. you are you and you're lovely. How do you feel about it?

Virginia: ...fine

Alison: well. that's alright then.

Virginia: i'll never give you any grandchildren. i'm not, normal. don't you care?

Alison: i suppose, i never saw you as having children anyway, really. i never thought you were the type. and as for normal; i'm not even sure i know what it means. i just want you to be happy, that's all.

Virginia: will you be telling my dad?

Alison: do you want me to?

Virginia: no. i just wanted you to know.

Alison: well, then it's just between us.

4. halfy

wow, i've got quite carried away here. i promise, there's only a few more to go now. i've started so i'll finish.

At Home with the Braithwaites. Series 2 episode 1.

Sarah (Virginia's sister) has found the divorce papers for her parents and has gone looking for virginia to talk about it. virginia is very drunk and upset as megan has come onto her just because her mum has won the lottery.

Sarah: where have you been?

Virginia: is it important?

Sarah: this is. *she hands virginia the divorce papers* did you know?

Virginia: no.

Sarah: have you been crying? Virginia?

Virginia: i've done what he did.

Sarah: who?

Virginia: me dad. i mean, i didn't actually... but i would have done. it could have very easily have happened.

Sarah: am i supposed to know what you're talking about?

Virginia: this person, made like.. a pass at me this morning.

Sarah: at you? this morning? blimey, you don't hang about do you?

Virginia: and this person...

Sarah: who?

Virginia: ...never looked at me twice before, when we were poor. it was all to do with the money; it was nothing to do with me and i knew that.

Sarah: how can you have done what he did? he was unfaithful. i mean you're not seeing anyone so it doesn't matter.

Virginia: i am... seeing someone.

Sarah: who? it'd help if i knew who you were talking about.

Virginia: no it wouldn't.

Sarah: is it a woman? you're talking about? everybody knows virginia.

Virginia: are you implying something? knows what?

Sarah: look, i've known since the third year. i used to get a right load of stick over it. i had to kick someone's head in once cos they wrote 'virginia braithwaite yodels in the valley' on my locker

Virginia: oh well, it must be true then.

Sarah: you don't have to pretend. it's tamsin you're seeing, isn't it? why are you so funny about it?

Virginia: maybe it's because, i don't want it thrown out at me, like it's an insult.

Sarah: ......

Virginia: yeah, it's different when you know for a fact isn't it? it makes you think a bit more.

Sarah: i like tamsin.

Virginia: do you? yeah she's good. she's one of the grown ups. god knows what she sees in me.

Sarah: it isn't like what he did. you didn't even do anything, and it's not the same anyway. because, you obviously feel crap about it. he didn't. well, not enough, otherwise he wouldn't have kept on doing it. he was at it for months, you haven't even done it once and you're a wreck, look at you.

5. halfy

god, i've found more quotes than i thought i had. like i said, i've started so i'll finish. i'm sorry about the length. i hope everyone enjoys this. it's taken me loads of effort.

At home with the Braithwaites. Series 1, episode 1.

not really a coming out speech but i thought i'd throw this in while i'm here.

Sarah: i feel like a beached whale.

Viginia: you look like one.

Sarah: well you look like a dyke.

Virginia: good.
    At hom with the Braithwaites. Series 1, episode 1.

Virginia and tamsin are slow dancing together. david (virginia's dad) is quite drunk and is annoyed by this.

David pulls the couple apart.

David: what the hell do you think you look like?

Virginia: a lesbian?

David: i do love you, you know.

Virginia: i love you aswell. you bastard.

At home with the Braithwaites. Series 2, episode 3.

Tamsin: do you fancy popping over to waltringham for the weekend?

Virginia: can do.

Tamsin: thing is, i've decided to tell my mum and dad; about us. before we set off around europe.

Virginia: why?

Tamsin: why not?

Virginia: why now?

Tamsin: i dunno, it just feels like it's time.

Virginia: tamsin, they don't like me.

Tamsin: they do.

Virginia: no they don't. they think i'm a twerp. they think i'm a lazy, scruffy, pissed up, oik.

Tamsin: yeah, but they like you.

Virginia: yeah well, even if they did; which they don't. it's one thing me being your best mate, it's something else again if you're gonna start telling them that for the past however many months, we've been shagging each other's brains out.

Tamsin: yeah, well i wasn't gonna put it quite so elegantly. if i thought it'd go down badly, i wouldn't suggest it; but i think they'd be really cool about it.

Virginia: why? because they read the guardian? because they eat organic meat? can't you just ring them up?

Tamsin: sure. or i could just send them a postcard like a real grown up. dear mum and dad, i shag other women. hope you're well, lots of love, tamsin.

Virginia: do i have to come with you?

Tamsin: well i think it'd be kind of appropiate, don't you?

6. halfy

ok, this is the last one i promise. god i'm tired.

At home with the Braithwaites. Series 2, episode 3.

Tony (Tamsin's Dad): so, you're gonna be spending the whole of summer driving around europe?

Virginia: yeah.

Sue (tamsin's mum): well i think it's a super idea. i'm so jealous. and you're rennovating this truck yourself?

Virginia: yeah.

Sue: ooh you are clever. i wouldn't have a clue.

Tony: so, what's the itinerary?

Tamsin: oh, we haven't got one , we're just, heading off.

Sue: well who's going? is it just you two?

Tamsin: yeah. just us.

Sue: oh, it'll be such fun.

Tamsin: in fact, that was the reason we wanted to pop over. together. to see you before we left. we wanted to tell you, our news.

Sue: oh? what news?

Tamsin: me... and... virginia. we're.......

Sue: what?

Tamsin:....gay.

Sue: sorry?

Tamsin: we're gay.

Sue: you're gay. oh.

Tamsin: yeah, and for the last 7 months we've been, having a relationship. the thing is, i want you to know how happy i am. and that's what's important. and i realise that it's possibly a shock.

Tony: you're not gay.

Tamsin: sorry?

Tony: you're not gay.

Tamsin: yes, i realise that it might be a shock for you both, and i'm sorry if that's... the thing is, i don't want you to be angry, or upset, because, like i say; i want you to know how happy i am.

Tony: you've got a boyfriend.

Tamsin: no, i haven't.

Tony: you've had boyfriends.

Tamsin: yes, i know that, but..

Tony: you're not gay. you're not gay. i know, you're not gay.

Virginia: could i just say?

Tony: YOU! have nothing to say!

there is more to this scene but i'm knackered and i'm sure you're all bored by now. anyhow, i hope you've all enjoyed the quotes i've put on here. thanks for reading and feel free to add some more.

7. RENThead

any chance you could find ellens coming out speach on her show? (i have seen it once, i remember she said it, into a mic - but she didnt mean to...)

8. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Haha I love the one where Luce comes out to Heck in "Imagine me and you":

Heck: So.. are you married??Ever been married??Ever going to be married...??
    Luce: Well, no, no and maybe now the laws have changed..
    Heck: How do you mean?
    Luce: Well I am Gay
    Heck: *laughs NERVOUSLY*
    Heck: Hmmmmm....
    Heck: Well done!!

It's just so funny when you seen how freaked out Heck is lol!!!

9. halfy

omg i love ellen. we used to get ABC1 on freeview in the uk but they took it away for some reason. my favourite episode is the coming out episode. i love the bit when ellen freaks out because susan says she has a 'gay vibe'. i can't remember this bit word for word so just go with me.

Ellen: what it isn't enough that you're gay, you have to recruit others?

Susan: yeah that's right. i'll have to go back to head office and tell them we lost you. damn, one more and i would have got that toaster oven.

Ellen: what's that? gay humour? cos you see, i don't get it.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one was a bit more subtle. It's from the late 80s/early 90s sitcom Dinosaurs. In one episode, oldest son Robbie came the horrible realization that he might in fact be...a vegetarian. He talked about his fears to his friend Dave.

Robbie: My mom's a carnivore, my dad's a carnivore...my sister? Boy, is SHE a carnivore. I just GOTTA be a carnivore.
    Dave: Well, it's not necessarily herditary. I mean, a lot of dinosaurs eat vegetables from time to time.
    Robbie (unconvinced): Yeah...
    Dave (nervously): Uh...including me.
    Robbie: What?! You?! You're...one of THEM? Are you sure?
    Dave (nodding): Yeah.
    Robbie: Well, how long have you known?!
    Dave: Well, I've always kinda suspected. Ever since I was twelve, you know, every time I see vegetables? I feel kinda...hungry.

This was about all you could get away with in the late 80s. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

Lex

11. Knowing Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On Ugly Betty, Marc coming out to his mother. He got Betty to pretend to be his girlfriend for the night - and they went to Betty's house for dinner - but couldn't keep up the act. Background info that might be needed to make sense of it, Betty's father is an illegal immigrant, her sister hilda got pregnant at 18 and had Justin who is probably gay. Anyway, on with it!

Marc - Um, Mother, there is something I need to um, tell you about me. I'm... - breaking up with Betty...
    Mother - Thank GOD!
    Marc - wait, you didn't like her?
    Mother - Marc... honey, let's be honest, with that hair and that face, what were my grandchildren gonna look like?
    Marc - mom! Betty and her family were pretty nice to us tonight.
    Mother - Her family? Don't get me started on her family, her father? Why should I pay his taxes?! He BROKE into this country -
    Marc - mom -
    Mother - and the sister, I don't wanna use the S word but SLUT! there, I said it. No wonder she got knocked up in the 2nd grade.
    Justin - (runs past) the golden girls marathon is onnnnn!
    Mother - and I don't even know what 'that' is.
    Marc - THAT?
    Mother - he's just so 'swishy!' the mother doesn't even say anything, it just makes me sick.
    Marc- OK, shut your mouth Mom!
    Mother - what did you say to me?
    Marc - you don't get to talk to these people like that! They did a really nice thing for me tonight and that little boy... swishy? Swishy! You want to talk about swishy. Open your eyes mom and look at your own swishy son.
    Mother - you know what, I gotta get to the hotel.
    Marc - no. (blocks door) You don't get to go because I may never be this brave again. Mom, I, I, I love you but -
    Mother - Do not say it.
    Marc - I am what you think I am.
    Mother - You're confused.
    Marc - no, NO. For once I'm not. If you want to get to know me, it has to be the real me.
    Mother - the real you, huh.
    Marc- (nods)
    Mother - well, if this is the life you have chosen... I have no interest in knowing the real you. (yanks open door) Thank these 'people' for a lovely evening.
    [YOUTUBE]g1g1UyrZHEs[/YOUTUBE]