1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies that taught you important messages about life and stuff.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by pane123, May 14, 2014.

1. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Has anyone seen any movies that taught you an important message about life, or effected you in some way, maybe even changed your life?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frozen taught me that idiots will ALWAYS looked upon favourable even when they almost destroyed the kingdom...

3. JohnB

Many, especially the coming of age movies.

Though on of the best movies that strengthened my sense of standing with by your principles no matter how hard times get. That was The Dark Knight. Random I know, but I loved the theme of one's character which they are judged by not only by others, but themselves and what they stand by.

Let me elaborate, where Bruce Wayne/Batman, Commissioner Gordan, and Harvey Dent, all struggling to stay good especially dealing with such a madman, Joker, who just wants to watch the world burn, and I just love how it was written, to not lose who you are no matter how crazy shit gets.

I probably geeked up this post, but it is one of the movies that didn't really teach me to keep your head on in any situations, but kinda inspired me to love writing.

#3 JohnB, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. justjade

I think the most recent movie I saw that taught me a great life lesson was Monsters University. Yeah, it sounds funny, but I learned that it's better to be fearless than feared. It also taught me that you have to always aim to be the best at what you do, no matter how trivial it might seem, like sorting mail, for instance! Doing well now can help you get where you want to go in the future. :slight_smile:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The Toy Story trilogy. It taught me that friendship is a very nice thing to have, especially if those in said friendship actually stand by you, and are willing to help you.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Forest Gump. Life like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get! It so true.

7. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" taught me that the journey is always more important and fun than what you actually do at the end of it. Oh and it also taught me to never mix Mescaline and alcohol, very important messages.

8. Camerooon

^ Definitely this!

9. kaypulu

Both are beauty related, and I know there are more than these two but these are the first to pop to my mind.

The scene from Stand By Me when Gordie is alone in the forest and sees the deer and while admiring it adult Gordie voiceovers it:

"The freight woke up the other guys and it was on the tip of my tongue to tell them about the deer. But I didn't. That was the one thing I kept to myself. I've never spoken or written about it until just now. "

It just kind of hit home. Such a trivial thing; seeing something beautiful that you'll remember forever, and you really can't explain the situation perfectly to someone else, so you just keep it to yourself and it stays beautiful forever? That is, until you find it trivial too and you'll just mention it one day. This doesn't sound that important, but it's really important to me. You know, to know that there are things that would make great stories but they stay with you longer when you don't mention about them.

And of course the infamous American Beauty quote. Ricky has a similar quote to Lester Burnham's but I just love Lester's a bit more because it's sweet wheras Ricky's is more bitter.

"I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined our street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."

I connect with this quote a lot, though I feel klische saying that. But it just like gosh I love the whole movie I love everything about it, the movie itself is so beautiful from the anagrams "Lester Burnham" = Humbert Learns, and other quotes to Lolita, and the characters and the lines and just. I understand beauty in a way the movie describes it, and that is so important to me.

10. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hakuna Matata.

11. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    LotR

It taught me that even the smallest people can change the course of the future.

12. Hatsune Miku

^this so much

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A Good Year, cheesy and mehh movie for me but....
    there was a point in the movie where the guy who played the uncle was teaching his nephew about losing and winning.
    he said" you'll come to see that a man learns nothing from winning. The act of losing however, can elicit great wisdom......" he says a few more lines, but it's a lot to think about.

14. Lmac

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shawshank redemption

It taught me that no matter how bad things get, if you keep true to who you are, life will sort itself out.

Suuper cheesy I know!

15. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mulan taught me that I don't have to fall in love over the course of a week at most and dress in frilly dresses to be successful. The movie also taught me that even if I don't fit society's expectations, I'm still amazing.

16. tulipinacup

I wouldn't say Amelie taught me a valuable lesson but it reminded me so much me.

17. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Sucker Punch. To live my life my way.

18. Cthulhu

Blade Runner is a complex movie to discuss, and it taught me a lot about the ethical boundaries of genetic engineering as well as the need to live our lives by our own will, but one thing it taught me was the importance of memories/experiences in our lives. They are what shapes us into who we are today (or even what we are to become in the future).

19. Tetra

Rocky - If you want something bad enough, and you work hard enough for it, you can do anything.

Labyrinth - Be careful what you wish for :icon_wink

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

the star wars prequels taught me how not to write a story

;-;