1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first time seeing a gay character

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Brandiac, May 16, 2014.

1. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yeah ... Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter was the first gay character I ever heard of, and from that point on every time I saw him in the movies I was wondering about how his life could've been, maybe he had a sad life he filled with studying and knowledge and whatever. But the point is, who was the first gay character you saw/heard of in a movie, book, you name it?

2. itsonlyrelative

Will and Grace was one of the first times I can remember seeing gay characters, my mom used to watch it.

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter was the first gay character I ever heard of"
    How the hell did I not figure this out? I'm a major Harry Potter nut and somehow I never picked up on this. I think I get the "bad fan award" for that one. Well then I guess he was the first for me.
    Other than Dumbledore, then, I don't really know. I never really started picking up on character sexualities before I started questioning myself, and since then I've been actively looking for books/movies with gay characters. I guess the first before then (that I know of) would be (*SPOILER ALERT*-highlight to see) Nico DiAngelo. If you're reading any of the Rick Riordan books, especially the "Heroes of Olympus" books, you may not want to see that. And yeah, now I'm thinking about it, I wonder what his life was like, especially since he knew so young.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first one I really remember was Steven Carrington on Dynasty. Yeah, I'm old...:lol:

5. I would be like "OMG! I totally need to instagram this! :grin: "

6. Hiems

Harvey Milk from Milk. I watched both the movie directed by Dustin Lance Black and the documentary for my U.S. History project.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Oscar from The Office

8. Famine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well.....

Fanfic doesn't count, does it?

I was 11 or so when I started watching Death Note. I got really obsessed and somehow came across ships that I grew addicted to. Er... yeah.

Other than that, it's when I started reading CHERUB. I love that series to death :]

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    welll crap........as far as i remembered......
    the first one that really made me think and say "yup that's a gay character" was....HIM from powerpuff girls. creepy as hell really.....it was either that or the blue ranger from might morphin ranger.

10. BelleFromHell

Princess Bubblegum and Marceline the Vampire Queen from Adventure Time are the earliest ones I can think of... What Was Missing - The Adventure Time Wiki. Mathematical!
    (Yeah... 2011... no wonder I hate myself so much.)

People debate about whether or not they're really lesbians, but all the BubblegumxMarceline art from Adventure Time's storyboard artist Natasha Allegri are enough to convince me.

#10 BelleFromHell, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe the Hardy Boys. Not confirmed, but they did have girlfriends, and yet preferred spending ALL their time chasing counterfeiters...

Confirmed: maybe Carolyn Kaiser in Lawrence Block's "Bernie Rhodenbarr" mystery series.

---------- Post added 16th May 2014 at 11:01 PM ----------

I never picked up, either, although when I last read Harry Potter I was in my Years of Denial.

As I recall, nothing was really stated, except in an interview with J. K. Rowling after the series was finished.

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A long time ago (1977-84) there was this silly sitcom called Three's Company. Basically the storyline revolved around this guy and his two female roommates. Jack was always chasing some girl, but had told the landlord he was gay, because that was the only way he could get to share an apartment with two girls (yea go figure...). Sadly the bits where he was "pretending" were rather over-the-top (no pun intended) stereotypical, and probably did more harm than good to a lot of confused people watching in those years. Ok so he wasn't really a gay character, but he played one in the story.

13. Higs

Willow in Buffy.

Was watching the show as it was coming out but I was quite young and didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary that she dated a girl.

14. JohnB

That would have to be Scott Thomson's gay guy at the gay bar character, Buddy Cole, who always has a monologue about commentary on current events on Kids in the Hall.

The guy's awesome.

Hilarious stuff. XD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZX-sUGWt6o

#14 JohnB, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  15. I think it would be Oscar from The Office, then the LGBTQ characters on Glee, then Nolan who is bisexual on Revenge, then The L Word characters, and then Mitch and Cam on Modern Family and so many more!! But yeah, I think either Oscar or one of the LGBTQ characters on Glee were my first^^

16. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    David and Keith from Six Feet Under was the first gay couple I saw on TV.

17. Silas

Probably Xena and Gabrielle, the hints were always there... I think the first time I noticed was Season 2 when they kissed in The Quest episode :kiss:

18. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

That was such a gutsy move! That episode aired a month (I think) before Ellen came out on her sitcom too.

I was 11 and flicking through the channels when I caught the tail end of the Buffy Halloween episode from season 6. Though at the time I didn't know it was Buffy, I didn't start watching until after the series ended. Willow and Tara were arguing and then they got into the same bed. I didn't know gay people existed so I thought "Aren't those girls too old to have sleepovers?"

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I can't exactly remember my first, but the first gay character I liked and considered as a real character was Brian Kinney from queer as folk us

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess Dumbledore, up until I got into Degrassi when Marco was my first.