1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music theory: What do you like and why?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pret Allez, May 16, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite form used to be the fugue, but lately I've gotten off of my baroque and romantic kick to start listening to more popular music and 90s-00s numbers.

I've started listening to more of The Offspring, and I like their aggressive rythmn and chord progressions. I'm told their songs even have words, but I don't listen to them.

Also, I'm obsessed with the bridge from 1:47 to 2:05. Ya. It's embarrassing.

[youtube]P_HFuAZfa-I[/youtube]

Anyway, what do you like, and why?

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

The fugue is pretty awesome. :slight_smile:

Also a huge fan of the concerto form, especially for violin or piano. The dialogue between the orchestra and solo instruments always fascinates me so. And this dialogue plays out so differently depending on the composer. In Beethoven's case, it often played out as an argument--tension was always the order of the day for his music. In Chopin's case, orchestra definitely takes a back seat to soloist, serving as mere accompaniment. In Brahms' case, it was just the opposite, the thundering orchestra often threatening to overwhelm the soloist (particularly in his Piano Concerto No. 1). For Alkan, no other instruments were needed at all, the piano doubling as orchestra.

Fascinating idea for a thread!

3. tulipinacup

I do like any but I tend to listen more towards female artists. Sometimes I like listening closely to the lyrics and other times I just want to listen to it because it's damn catchy. I've always been a fan of Fiona Apple and have seen her grow musically and I especially like her latest album, The Idler Wheel. It was more minimal compared to her older album and she manages to use non-instrumental material such as a random children playing in the background

Werewolf is my one of my favourite song in that album and if you are a fan of metaphors(or even the subject, Chemistry) this one is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fby632bPn0E

#3 tulipinacup, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. Higs

Well my 2 favorite genres are folk metal and symphonic metal.

I guess I was just mind blown when I heard how magically can orchestras and folk instruments blend with heavy guitars.

Also personally I like songs as whole, both lyrically and musically. If I like the sound a song makes I would look up the lyrics and then either like the song even more because lyrics are meaningful or I completely go ''meh'' on the song if the lyrics are just same 3 lines repeated all over.

5. Vulpin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like a lot of orchestral music, mainyl from Two Steps From Hell. I love how inspiring and epic it can be, but also how it can be so flowing and dynamic. I've recently started listening to a bit of symphonic metal. It really is amazing how well the genres mix.

6. Fallen Angel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a country girl through and through. Alan Jackson, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw Lady Antebellum and JoDee Messina are some of my fave artists. I also enjoy a lot of 80's music, and I am an absolute sucker for a power ballad. The soppier the better, LOL. I'm also really drawn to Christian music, and artists such as Casting Crowns, Hillsong, Skillet, Sanctus Real and Third Day. I also like artists such as Daughtry, Nickelback and P!nk. If a song has lyrics that speak to me, I am sold no mater who the artist. That is one of the main reasons I love Christian music, because the lyrics speak to the deepest depths of my soul. Music is my second language, I live it and breathe it. It touches me in ways that not many other things in this world can.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If it sounds good, I'll listen to it. If it sounds really good, I'll keep listening to it. Simple as that.

Really, the only type of music I have a hard time tolerating is "Screamo". I'd rather scrape nails across a chalkboard, because "Screamo" hurts my eardrums just as much, if not more. But other than that, I'm down for whatever.

The Offspring is fantastic, by the way, Pret Allez. Most people know about them due to Americana, but I thoroughly enjoyed the album Smash. How can you not? The song " Smash " is lyrically empowering.

Conspiracy of One wasn't as good, but the song " Vultures " is one of my favorites.