1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frozen as a metaphor for LGBT struggles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by micstar615, May 17, 2014.

1. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This has been something that has been debated a lot since the movie spiked in popularity. When I first saw it I immediately identified with the character of Elsa and her struggles seems to resemble much of my own. As the movie progressed I noticed a lot of parallels between her story and the experience of an LGBT individual in the closet. If you look at it objectively, there's not a lot of issues that really fall in line with Elsa's struggles as an LGBT person's. She's born different and is taught to repress what comes naturally to her, and it's not something that's inherently distressing to herself or the people around her, such as a disability would be. When asked about Elsa's struggle, her voice actor, Idina Menzel stated that Elsa "was essentially in the closet." It really comes together as a beautiful film that I think is really significant for the LGBT community. What are your guys' thoughts? Did you relate to Elsa's story?

Also here are some well written articles that also talk about this:

The Many Messages of Frozen |Church Without Boundaries

Movies & Musings: FROZEN as a Gay Metaphor Redux and The Substance of Subtext

#1 micstar615, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. tulipinacup

I've had my speculations about it and I am not surprised if homophobic parents will be boycotting this film. It's kinda similar as well to X-men.

3. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They already are, that's what sparked the debate :/ it's sad because it really taints the message of the film, a lot of people are claiming that it shouldn't be read as an LGBT metaphor when I think it clearly can (and maybe was intended to be, for the viewers that can relate to it in that respect at least).

I love X-Men! Funny that you bought that up because the creators of X-Men said that it was based off the civil rights movement at the time which was against racism, and they used parallels with racism to write X-Men. Many stories in general are based off current (or at the time of release) issues and politics in society.

4. Hunchdebunch

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always related the film to my experience with coming to terms with who I am, and coming out to people. It's probably because I first saw the film when I had only quite recently come out to my parents, and was still trying to accept myself.

5. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same, my experiences in the closet and learning to love myself mirrored a lot of what Elsa was going through too.

6. Kero

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I thought that while I was watching it. Singing Let It Go always helps me feel better when I'm sad because it describes how I feel :slight_smile:

7. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the song is so empowering :slight_smile: Elsa's basically saying f**k you to what her parents taught her in regards to hiding who she is and embraced her differences :')

8. the stranger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow I did not realize this in theaters but thinking back it makes sense. deep down I always pretty much knew I was gay but it wasnt until a very short while ago that I accepted it so thats probably why I didnt realize this (was in state of denial) thanks for bringing this up im totally going to go rent this from amazon instant now :wink:

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I related so much with Elsa in that movie. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. luvsthedominace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kinda identify with what elsa was going through in the movie (homophobic parents trying repress me). I was taught throughout life that being gay was a sin and totally wrong and was against everything that human beings stood for.

11. Yosia

I really relate to Elsa, like i have been shut away from the world because i am different but being myself and 'Letting it go' has made me so much happier ^.^

12. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In glad that the film has impacted a lot of your guys' lives in a positive way, I think it's a great film for anyone struggling with their sexuality or gender identity.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I relate to Elsa, not in an LGBT sense but the intended mental health sense--with it being confirmed that she is a symbol of anxiety.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I still have a hard time accepting my sexuality, so I think the song itself is empowering.

15. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

FUUUUCK this film! I am sick of it. I don't even care if it is good. From half of what I saw from all the SHIT streaming out of peoples mouths about this thing, you'd think I'd just snap into a murder spree from hearing the word Frozen.

Ok so this LGBT thing... What? Honestly I just, no no let me start that again. How do you draw to that? Could just as well be a meaning for its ok to be different! I honestly don't see Disney even really doing that as of now. I mean maybe they did mean for it to mean that. But I am simple, I read subtext but just read it in the movies world, not our own.

16. Closetlesbian99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's exactly what I was thinking throughout the entire movie!

Elsa's parents teach her all through her life that her powers are something to be hidden, something wrong with her. That's how a lot of parents treat their gay children.

When she takes her gloves off, she knows everyone will discover her powers. That's how a lot of gay people feel. Like they're going to slip up and say something they shouldn't have, and everyone will know.

The best part about the movie is that it could represent being LGBT, having a mental illness, or anything else you'd want to keep a secret, so lots of people can relate.

17. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually it isn't, that quote was taken out of context. Jessica said that they wanted to show anxiety and depression in terms of the effects of her being isolated, she never said that was what her powers are meant to represent. And it wouldn't make sense since anxiety isn't necessarily born trait and it's distressing to the individual, whereas Elsa's powers are not. But Elsa's struggles do resonate with a broad degree of issues, I would say that it has the most consistent parallels with what an LGBT person goes through.

---------- Post added 19th May 2014 at 10:40 PM ----------

Yeah, it is an LGBT thing, not exclusively (I don't know who said that) but it does relate to LGBT people because we go through the same thing and there are obvious parallels between her story and many of ours. "It's ok to be different" IS an LGBT thing, and the way it is depicted in the film is very much in line with what we go through. She's born different and taught to repress what comes naturally to her, even though it's not something that is harmful or distressing to her in any sense, and is told not to feel what she feels. If that's not an LGBT thing, idk what is. Look at the majority of the responses of this thread. If you don't like the movie fine, that's one thing, I just wanted to point out that the story is something many of us can relate to, and if you actually dissect her story, you'll see it has the most parallels with what an LGBT person goes through.

---------- Post added 19th May 2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

Exactly :slight_smile:

#17 micstar615, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  18. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^i totally meant to say Jennifer not Jessica on my first response xD

19. marriedover50

I totally agree with your insights micstar. I just watched the movie this last weekend. I kept seeing my long closeted story in that film. I identified throughout the movie with the feelings. She had been isolated for so very long. Longing to be free, known, accepted and understood. Definitely a LGBT theme of this viewer.

20. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad to hear that :slight_smile: it truly is a great film, made me feel a lot of feels:tears: