1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Normal Heart on HBO....

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by QueerTransEnby, May 21, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't know how many of you have heard about the Normal Heart special on HBO on Sunday May 25th at 9 PM, but it will chronicle the start of the AIDS Crisis. It stars Mark Ruffalo(Kids are All Alright).

As someone who cared about the HIV/AIDS Crisis long before even thinking of coming out and even back when Magic made his announcement, it is so important to continue awareness to all. I had my own scare when my doctor suspected it as a possibility for my health issues in 2010. Prior to that, I was scared to get tested. I turned out negative, but so many of them did not.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one is interested? :frowning2:

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll definitely check it out (and no, the fact that cutiepie Matt Bomer also stars in that movie has nothing to do with it, well maybe just a bit :icon_bigg )

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL, whatever floats your boat. I am not sure I know who that is. Mark Ruffalo is somewhat attractive to me though.

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I ended up getting HBO just so I could watch it. Love Matt Bomer and it will be interesting to see Jim Parsons in a very different role from Sheldon.

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was one sad and powerful movie. Painful to watch but necessary (history isn't always pleasant to revisit). In a way makes me feel like I really dodged a bullet by not coming out earlier (around the time of the movie I was in high school, at the time where people typically start to act upon their attractions and desires). My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones at that time and since then.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just got done watching the movie. I've never ever ever cried so much during a movie. I am so disturbed right now and paranoid. It's still out there...and no one gives a crap still 34 some years later.

8. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I thought the performances were amazing. Overall I was disappointed with the story, I expected more and found it boring. Probably because it was a political film and I don't like politics. I feel sorry for all the people who went through the nightmare of the early days of HIV/AIDS.

9. Iowan1976

I watched it, and growing up in a very small midwest town in the 1980's and 1990's made me realize how much about I did not realize how gays were treated 30 plus years ago. It seems like some progress has been made on gays being accepted, but there is much more work to do.

I really do feel sorry for all the people who have suffered because of this virus. I hope that we can get this cured in the not so distant future :slight_smile:

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished watching it a few minutes ago...

I was 21 when I first heard about it, in the prime of my sexual life. I remember seeing the first reports on TV about this disease, the images of those emaciated gay men with KS lesions under their feet, a mysterious plague that no one knew anything about...it was fucking scary. Scary enough to keep me in the closet for decades. And when my sister got it from her boyfriend...when I think of what my mother had to endure, seeing her suffer when treatments were not as effective or as available as today...Well, she's still alive by some miracle; partly blind and suffering other health issues, but still living with it, just another fact of life now...no longer a death sentence...but why did it have to take 20 years to get there?

It absolutely was political, every damned bit of it. What a perfect storm for this epidemic to happen during the Reagan years. The years of Jerry Falwell and his fucking "moral majority". Reminds me all over again how much of what we are living today, the inequality, the dying middle class, and the needless prolongation of the AIDS epidemic is directly attributable to that president's asshole policies.

11. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't see this topic because I'm blind. But wow. I finished watching it almost 2 hours ago now and I'm STILL crying. This was a brilliant movie and while I know my straight, cisgender family didn't get why I was crying, they were still moved at least a bit.