1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Historical Fiction?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Arrow Ace, May 21, 2014.

1. Arrow Ace

Hey, I'm wondering if any one knows of any media especially books) set around the early 1900's-1960's? Especially some of the World Wars? Those periods of history interest me greatly, though the only media that I can find that is set around then with characters that are gay/ can be read as gay is Downton Abbey and Captain America. Does anyone know of any other than that?

2. White Knight

There is a pulp novel called "Go Down, Aaron". Even it is just a pulp novel it is very well written. Tho like all gay pulps of those times don't expect a happy ending.

Has more depth than you could expect from a pulp. Story follows life of a Jewish boy during WW2 who is forced to serve German soldiers as sex slave... so lots of M/M relationships going on.

There are also For a Lost Soldier movie and book and Christopher and his kind. Though both movies/books based on real life memories.

While talking about real life memories, not a book or movie but something effects me deeply everytime I read... a love letter from one soldier to another during WW2 years. This may make you cry.

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 10:21 AM ----------

Oh also that letter is subject of a Goldfrapp song called Clay.

3. Arrow Ace

Thank-you for the suggestions! Though I think I may avoid the sexual one because I'm not too much for that type of thing c:
    Ahh, I'm at school and the website with the letters is blocked. I'll have to look at it at home.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my goodness! We just don't see this kind of beauty in the world very frequently. Didn't quite make me cry, but made me nostalgic for a time and place (and person) I've never known.

5. jargon

I think there was actually a surprising amount of lesbian fiction written during that period with this probably being the first English language novel in that genre.

6. White Knight

Just google WW2 gay love letter and you might find it on some site you can read.

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 08:58 AM ----------

Probably it makes me teary eyed as it hits so close to home. I also met... yeah I think I can say it... love of my life during my military service.

Without tragic ending but ended eventually. Life can be a crappy mistress sometimes.:icon_sad:

7. NHDave

NHDave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try Calico by Dorien Gray. Late 1800's gay cowboy love story. Well written, wholly unrealistic for the period, but loads of fun to read.