1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel comics recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by warholwendy, May 22, 2014.

1. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trying to get into them since I'm mostly a DC reader.

I was thinking of picking up:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men
    Avengers Disassembled

2. White Knight

I was into Marvel in my early 20s. Don't like most of their current cr... I mean comics.

Young Avengers is good read which includes fan favorite gay couple Wiccan/Hulkling.

Ultimate series might be good place to start but Ultimate X-Men (another gay hero Ultimate Colossus was in there) and Ultimates took creepy road so don't reccomend it unless you want to left dissappointed.

They are doing Marvel NOW! Which is similar to New 52 of DC. So try some titles and see for yourself.

3. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    If you've had the chance to watch the trailer for the upcoming Flash tv show, there is a little nod to the New 52 via the in-show tv news channel logo

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 06:21 AM ----------

Also a reference to Carol Ferris.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Age of Apocalypse is an interesting read. It also presents Magneto as more of the anti-hero than he had been, until this point.

Operation: Zero Tolerance is also worth a read. It's when the Sentinels became heavily used, and it deals a lot with political and social issues. You can see similarities with oppressive or inconsiderate powers-that-be.

Fatal Attractions is worth checking out, I suppose. It's most notable for Magneto ripping out Wolverine's Adamantium-laced skeleton, and Professor Xavier, finally, rendering Magneto comatose, as opposed to just standing idly by or letting this happen. This will lead into the Onslaught Saga.

I'm not too thrilled with the direction Spiderman is going, and has been for the past few years, but there are some great comics from his past. Anything with the Sinister Six is enjoyable. I also enjoyed Maximum Carnage, which is where we get the debut of Carnage, my favorite of the Symbiotes.

Captain America is hit or miss with me, but I really enjoy the Red Skull. Anything with him as a central character is definitely a great read. I like the issues that go into his past, with his upbringing in Germany, and his dealings with the Nazi Party. You can find this in Red Skull: Incarnate, which has some excellent artistic work.

The Hulk is worth reading, but I cannot think of any notably enjoyable arcs with him. I think what draws people to the Hulk is, his battle with anger and anxiety, as well as his ability to show up, kick ass, and solve the vast majority of a problem. Despite me not being able to think of any notable stories, there are several moments where Bruce Banner has to deal with his personal demons, and that has always drawn me to the character.

5. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really liked Young Avengers, best written gay characters in mainstream comics imo

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    House of M
    A vs X
    civil war

7. White Knight

While I like all those suggested mini series/sagas, I find them more advanced level than fresh and easy to get into comics.

I doubt someone see House of M or Age of Apocalypse fresh as us, long time Marvel readers. Probably emotional impact of Onslaught, Civil War or Zero Telorance would be less than my grieving days after loosing my favorite heroes.

Marvel did some "Essential" series and re-published some important issues of favorite titles if my memory serves.They can be good entry level reads.

8. Paper Heart

I just started reading the new Ms. Marvel and its been a very good read so far. It's only 3 issues in, so there's time to catch up.

9. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    A while back, I was digging through one of those hole in the wall, warm and fuzzy used books stores. Floor to ceiling and wall to wall bookshelves loaded to the limit with books on EVERYTHING. The type of bookstore that would make your clautrophobic tendencies go into overdrive.

Anyway, while digging through said bookstore, I came across a copy of the "Back from the dead?!" issue of the Death of Superman saga. The one where Johnathan Kent and Superman are together in 'between life and death' scenes and Johnathan is trying to get Superman to go back. Now if only I could find the rest of that series.....

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 07:21 AM ----------

[​IMG]

10. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

YOU SHOULD READ SPUREOR SPUDERMEN! ITS SOooo GOoD!