1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orphan Black

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wuggums47, May 23, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Does anyone here watch Orphan Black? I'm a huge fan, Helena is my favorite clone. I imagine other gay people like it as well, as it has more realistic representations of gay people than most other shows. In this thread it would be nice to talk about things like favorite characters and what not, try not to spoil too much incase someone reading the thread hasn't seen it. I have to warn anyone who's going to watch it that it's a mature show, rated tv-ma, so it has sex and violence in it. I know some people aren't okay with that.

2. Higs

I tried watching pilot, but her gay brother character was so obnoxious I couldn't keep on watching..

3. Weekender

I've seen the first season except the last episode, and I'm a little bit obsessed. I keep trying to get my family to watch it, but my mom has resisted me so far, lol. I figured that I would probably like Cosima the most, but Helena is (surprisingly) my favorite. She's strangely adorable and endearing.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I know what you mean, I absolutely love Helena, to me she's a relatable character. I'm not a homicidal maniac or anything, but I've been through a rough life like her.

5. Maeve

I love Orphan Black. Cosima is definitely my favorite clone, but Helena has grown on me.

I hate Rachel with a passion though.

Felix (Sarah's brother) is rather annoying, but he's a good guy.

6. CharlieChalk

It's SO good!!!
    I love it :grin:
    Sarah is my favourite, purely for the level of badass she has.

Tatiana Maslany is an acting goddess!

7. 741852963

I like it.

Although I find the character of Felix a bit of a distraction - too stereotypes and too much comic relief. Don't get me wrong he'd be great in a sitcom but not in this.

One question? Sarah is meant to be from the UK right, then why does she have a clear Aussie accent? Is there some twist or plot point I've missed or has the actress just missed the mark on it? That would be a shame as all her other accents are brilliant.

8. Kesha

Kesha Guest

Omg orphan black is my life! I love Felix and Sarah so much to anyone who hasn't watched the show I advise them to watch it it's so amazing.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm surprised so many people don't like Felix, he's my second favorite character. Also as far as why sarah has an Australian Accent, I think it's a combination of having to make each clone sound a bit different for realism, and the fact that Tatiana Maslany, the actor who plays her is Canadian and probably faking all of her accents.. I just looked her up on the IMDB.

10. Maeve

I think Alison's accent is probably pretty close to her real one. Do Alison's and Cosima's accents sound different to you guys? They seem pretty close to me. I'm from Northern California like Cosima, and I can't hear an accent with Canadians except on certain words (like sorry).

I think her British accents are OK, but that's probably because I'm American.

11. Weekender

I think they sound a tad different, though I'm not sure if it's the accent so much as the way they speak. Allison always sounds a bit uppity and tense, and sometimes clips her words and syllables. Cosima's voice is a bit more relaxed and drawn-out. Perhaps a little deeper too.

12. Maeve

Yeah, Cosima and Alison have very different tones. Alison sounds perpetually stressed, while Cosima is much more relaxed. I don't think that's really accent though.

13. 741852963

Yup, you'd struggle to find a Brit that wouldn't class that as Australian.

There are a few English accents that bear minor resemblances to Australian (cockney, Essex etc) but thats only in a minor way; similar to how a few American accents (notably the Boston accent) bear resemblances to certain English accents.

E.g. If a Brit heard someone from Boston they would definitely know they were American, although the pronunciation of certain words would sound quite familiar.

14. NoaWinchester

I love Orphan Black and pretty much all of its characters! I'm a couple episodes behind because of school, but I'll catch up tomorrow maybe. It's so thrilling and interesting.

15. Maeve

Is her Rachel accent good? I think accents are fascinating, but I don't have the ear to really analyze them.

Orphan Black is back on tonight!

16. 741852963

Now her Rachel accent is unmistakably English, I'd say Queen's English or received pronunciation.

Is it good? I don't think she would "pass" to an average Brit but its certainly not the worst. It is a little too enunciated and contrived sounding, sounds a little artificial. However all that being said, it would probably be quite accurate if the character was of a working class background and "pretending" to sound upper class (its quite common for teenage girls to talk very "posh" to give an illusion of status, with varying results!). I'm English and probably couldn't do a natural sounding received pronunciation accent so I'd probably sound as fake!

Speaking of accents though. Felix's is spot on. Seriously good. Very typical London accent, surprised to learn the actor is Canadian.

#16 741852963, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  17. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the show! Alison is easily my favorite, though I've grown to adore Helena.

I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her accents, but then again, I'm terrible at recognizing accents and would probably be impressed by anything passable :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I watched the pilot, but nothing else.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been watching it for all of seven minutes, after my parents recommended it to me, and I'm all ready hooked.

I don't exactly have a lot of free time at the moment - but idk maybe I can get one episode in a night? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I know that feeling, I was hooked as soon as Beth Jumped in front of that train.