1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Villain of Ubisoft's "Far Cry 4" is confirmed to be gay..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by micstar615, May 24, 2014.

1. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Check out the article here:

UBISOFT CONFIRMS FAR CRY 4 CHARACTER IS GAY | MyXboxLive

This kind of bothers me a bit. GameTheory posted a video about the portrayal of LGBT characters in video games and that we are almost always portrayed in a negative light. Usually as antagonists, given undesirable characters traits and are sought to be killed by the protagonist. What are your guys' thoughts?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they don't include his gayness in his villainy, it's ok. But if they use it to creep out the player, I'm going to be extremely displeased.

3. Higs

Well, being antagonist doesn't mean it's all bad. Vaas in Far Cry 3 was one of the main villains and I thought everyone loved him? He was my favorite character for sure.

The article isn't promising to be honest, but we have to wait and see how it turns out.

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's Ubisoft so I'm going to wait and see where they're going with this before I pass judgement.

One query though, I can't find any reference to the supposed gay character being the villain in the article. I see a reference to a gay protagonist, but nothing about whether the antagonist is gay. The gay rainbow flags referenced in the article look far more like prayer flags to me, something which is quite common in Tibet. I can't see a gay rainbow at all.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

A gay protagonist would of been more interesting. As for his character I feel like he probably won't have much of one, at least none of the previous far cry villains really did, but maybe I'll be surprised.

I don't see why it's so bad to have fictitious gay people portrayed as villains anyway. I guess it's seen as representing the community in a bad light. I just don't see that every gay person depicted in a game or movie has to stand for either positive or negative commentary about gay people. We're just people like everyone else, we dont have to be justified all the time. Sometimes I feel like if we were always portrayed the way we want to than that wouldn't even be fair or realistic. Fact of the matter is it's entirely possible for someone to be an unforgivable evil prick and be gay at the same time. If that's how they wanna do this character then I'm fine with that.

6. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't really have a problem with it if it wasn't for the fact that whenever LGBT characters are included in a video game, it's usually an antagonist (most of the time) or a character that's there for comic relief. Ideally your perspective is definitely something I agree with, but we don't live in that kind of a world where we actually are seen like everyone else, and it's just kind of been a bad pattern that we tend to be portrayed in a negative light in most games, and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing for us.

---------- Post added 24th May 2014 at 05:26 PM ----------

Ah, perhaps you're correct. My friend told me this article was referring to an antagonist, I admittedly didn't read the whole article, I just skimmed and looked at the picture, assuming what my friend said was true xD if he is a protagonist then that's actually a very good thing!

#6 micstar615, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  7. BornAnew

I really hope the portrayal is mature. I've never played a Saints Row game but from what I've seen the series is anything but mature lol. It's all about over-the-top fun..which is great...but I fear he's gonna be a walking stereotype!

8. lukeluvznicki13

That's fantastic :slight_smile:!
    Look forward to it

It may probably show that gay people can be bad asses too and not just female, goody two-shoes as a large percentage of people believe.

9. 741852963

It depends how they portray him I guess but it does add a bit of diversity and shake people's stereotypes of what "gay men are like". Take for example, the brilliant character of Gus Fring in Breaking Bad who is implied to be gay. He is so evil, powerful and ruthless that the fact he is gay is really a moot point to the audience.

Now on Far Cry, I doubt they would have much care for being politically correct or sensitive. The last game essentially used male-rape as a source of humour for heterosexual players to snigger at which I found extremely distasteful, that would put me off playing the new game more to be honest.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think it depends on the portrayal, to be honest. I think it would only be seen as putting us in a bad light if his sexuality existed in correlation to any heinous thing he does. If It's separate though, I think It's fine because we gay people are just normal people too. There are nice and heroic gay people, but there are also evil and criminal gay people.

I guess I empathize with this as a writer, since my main antagonist, a murderous psychopath, is bisexual. But it doesn't mean their sexuality has anything to do with their crimes, they are separate. I also have bisexual characters who are extremely kind to others and have been in long-term monogamous relationships, so It's not like I'm stereotyping the whole sexuality based on only one character that happens to swing both ways. I have straight villains too, as well as straight/gay protagonists.
    I guess what I'm saying is that I understand that we don't get a lot of positive media coverage, but I would also hate for political correctness to get in the way of author creativity and expression.

11. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really great comment, I definitely agree :slight_smile:

12. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

There's a Far Cry 4? Oh, where've I been? Argentwing is right, I really hope they don't go too far with it to try and creep out the player- but that would be swept under the carpet anyways :l

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i hope they make him more of a villian then about his gayness....if done right, he could be the most creepiest, and sadistic mastermind

Edit: although he does look like one big stereotype, the same could be said about women in video games being objectified just as much as men do. for them to do a character like this, it's not really that surprising to me .

#13 Bolt35, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014