1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the mutants in X-Men are a parallel to LGBT people ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beware Of You, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I read an article with Sir Ian McKellen who plays Magnetto (probably the most famous LGBT celeb in the UK) and his close friend Patrick Stewart (aka Xavier) comment that the story of the mutants on the sidelines trying to win acceptance from society (who have elements that want them exterminated, or in the 3rd one trying to force a cure onto this mutant kid, and that dude with the angel wings he tries to hack off) ..

What do you think about it?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah, except the mutants actually DO represent a clear and significant danger if left unsupervised and entirely to their own devices, and I'm pretty sure we don't...

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stan Lee actually addressed this in an interview after Last Stand. Yes, the mutants are intentional parallels to all oppressed people, including those of us within the LGBTQ spectrum.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

That isn't fair. Doesn't anyone larger than me present a potential danger? They were just regular people with gifts. :frowning2:

4. Beware Of You

Well LGBT people if made to repress themselves could be a danger to themselves. I was a risk to myself

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a perfectly fair assessment.

Heck, look to the latest film if you will. You've got quicksilver, completely left to his own devices as far as his 'gift' is concerned. He is constantly in trouble with the police, steals everything that isn't nailed down and is generally a menace. Now he has one of the more 'tame' powers and he is still a criminal. He also demonstrates his ability to be potentially lethal should the situation call for it.

Now you consider some of the other powers. Bursting into flames, lazer eyes, power over the weather. Leave those things without monitoring and supervision and they will FUCK YOU RIGHT UP.

A large man can do damage, a man who controls metal can bring the world to it's knees.

Point is, the measure put forward in the x-men cannon, where excessive, unusual and fucking cruel in a lot of cases, but some level of monitoring is required. Appropriate training should be provided, after all you don't want powers out of control, but on the other hand you don't want to accidentally train an army who knows you have no way of stopping them!

6. Dented

"Have you ever tried...not being a mutant?"

You bet they are.

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in a certain sense they are. at the same time, they also represent any outcast of societies don't they? it'd be a bit unfair to think that LGBT has the sole entitlement for the x-men universe. you can also say they represented the civil rights movement at the time, as well as the outcasts who still exist in high school.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

That's 1 of my favorite movie quotes of all time. And yeah it's pretty clear at this point they have intentionally drawn parallels to past and present civil rights movements. Professor Xavier himself is heavily based on Martin Luther King Jr which is a major part of why he's my favorite comic/movie superhero ^^

9. JohnB

Actually Ithought they covered that in X2, where ICeman's mom said she thought him becoming a mutant was her fault, and then Pryo goes to say that the mutant gene is in the "y" chromosome, so that it is a husband's fault.

People laughed in the theater, and of course latent homo thoughts came in thinking that it was homo-gene being hereditary joke which people got So then i also saw how mutants were being treated and of course it stuck with me then on that Mutant were being treated like the LGBT community.

10. Gallatin

Well if we are, does that mean we get to all live in a big mansion, wear awesome uniforms, and fly stealth jets around? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. JohnB

I think we found our professor Xavier. You have the resources? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    lol.

12. White Knight

Other heroes can be parallels to gay people, especially closeted ones... Secret identity, masks, fear of being discovered, trying to balance their normal life and superhero duties (i.e. straight exceptations and natural urges).

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've always seen it like that :slight_smile: