1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Read "God and the Gay Christian" by Matthew Vines yet?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. So, I heard about his book and I really want to get it! Probably will once I can get the credit card problem on my Kindle fixed. Anyways, Matthew Vines seems so cool (and also cute; But I know he's gay lol!) and I'm only halfway through his 1-hour long sermon on the Bible and Homosexuality and I'm already so touched by him!! It's because really, the only thing that I struggle with in my bisexuality is if it will interfere with my relationship with God and Matthew makes me feel so much better in knowing that having a girlfriend and liking girls won't stop me from meeting my Heavenly Father <33 What do you guys think of Matthew Vines? Check out his book and the video, which here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY

He also did a video with Airelle from GirlfriendsTV yesterday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kinSS1P1T4Y&list=UULHH5WcsbW30H-kVtZfkDtQ

Plus, are they any other religious LGBTQ people here? Let me know :slight_smile:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    holy crap, im watching his video and its VERY GOOD, thanx for the thread

3. You're welcome! Matthew Vines really is such a blessing to me and his ministry is so inspiring!! Now, HE looks like he took the time to actually study the Bible, unlike my parents:rolle:

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea he does, funny how people are towards homosexuality

5. tulipinacup

will be checking this out later. thanks for sharing.

6. Kabuki

I watched it! I was very touched by what he said because I feel just like him. People can't seem to accept the word gay and christian together. I mean, I'm gay and accepting who I am has made me come closer to God like never before. I would really like it if christian people would stop looking at us based on stereotypes and more as an individual.

Can't say I read the book, but the video was wonderful and very heartfelt. You could understand his feelings, he almost cried a couple of times. What made me sad was all those horrible comments people wrote, saying that because you are gay you can't love God, they really don't know anything about us, huh.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I think about how Christians treated gay people at the start of the AIDS crisis, I am sure our Savior was very grieved.

Christians should be the ones caring about gay people the most with teen suicide at an all time high due to gay bullying. This is why the pastor friend I came out to put on a play about loving gay people, and there were several gay actors from the community in the play. The proceeds went to a suicide hotline for gay teens. When I told him I was bi, he was supportive. The problem was he still didn't understand that stereotypes do not define the LGBT community. I told him I was bi, and he said yeah I don't see you talking with a lisp, "Like, oh, I like love girls." I told him flat out that was a stereotype. Even with our Christian allies, we have some misconceptions to clear up even if well-intentioned.

I look forward to reading the book at Barnes&Noble. I doubt Family Christian would carry it. Maybe I'm wrong...

From what I understand, the book praises monogamous homosexuality within the bounds of marriage equality.

8. tscott

thank you for sharing.

9. IG88

I'm definitely going to read it! I hope that there's an ebook version of it, I'm just waiting for an Amazon giftcard that's supposed to come in the mail. I'm going to use the whole card on books :slight_smile:

I've watched his video...it is incredible. He seems like he knows his stuff, is passionate about his project, and as for looks...I guess he's attractive? Idk.

I'm also Christian, so his video really helped me as well. I'm still researching and exploring LGBT/Christian waters.

On a similar note, there's a good Christian sermon series on relationships and dating called "The New Rules for Love, Sex & Dating" by a pastor in Atlanta. Granted, it's geared towards straight Christian males, but it's still good advice. :thumbsup:

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it's not from Bishop Eddie Long. :rolle:

11. BelleFromHell

This looks pretty interesting...
    I'm an agnostic, but I'm still glad that LGBTQ acceptance is growing in the religious community. :slight_smile:

To echo the words of my friend Jeremy, "Is a rainbow of one color just as beautiful?"
    LGBTQ people come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religious beliefs.

If god exists, I don't see why he'd have a problem with LGBTQ people. If he didn't like homosexuality, he wouldn't have made it in the first place.

*He who shall not be named :wink:

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, when I hear pastor and Atlanta, he is the first that comes to mind. I worked for several years in Christian retail. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I still cringe at the one book that we got in about how to keep your Christian child from being gay. Surprisingly, it wasn't even from Dobson. Even more surprising, my manager at the time pulled it even though he wasn't LGBT friendly. I think part of it was he lived in a city that was LGBT friendly, and it was the next city over. He didn't want to start trouble.

#12 QueerTransEnby, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watched his talk almost a year ago after a member, TyRawr linked me to it. I went back to the site because I was talking to one of my friends, who is an Ally and wanted me to do a bible study with him (back before I came out), about this video after viewing "A Fish Out Of Water" and I suggested to him that I watch this one. Anyway, when I went back to fetch a link for this video, I saw this gem and wanted to buy it. Unfortunately, I am a student and have no money at this time. But I look forward to buying and reading this! I was seriously moved by Vine's talk and look forward to reading this book.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, the main message is of course very good. I'm just not sure that I can until marriage to have sex like he suggests. Just being honest. I'm not saying I'd be banging everyone and their brother, but you know what I mean...

15. BelleFromHell

Audrey!! This guy's disrespectin' our peaches! :tears:

Just kidding. He's the first thing that comes to my mind with Atlantan pastors as well.

When you live in an LGBT Mecca, you have to expect some batshit crazies to come with the package (especially in the south).

16. IG88

I actually never heard of him. The pastor I'm talking about is Andy Stanley, here's the link.

17. BelleFromHell

Here's some info on Eddie Long.

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would NEVER disrespect your peaches. We have family friends from Newnan and Tyrone. I floated out of the Coca Cola Museum and visited Turner Field to see my 2nd favorite team, the Braves play. I love Atlanta, except for the traffic and that every street is Peachtree Street. Not that I don't love Peaches, but if one throws a Peach they will hit a Peachtree Street. :lol:

19. IG88

Thanks. I read through that and one word on Long: ew.

But! I recently started Vines's book. It's pretty good! I like his arguments, and I can see more than one interpretation for some of the clobber passages.

20. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure about his whole theology in general with the whole issue, seeing as I've not gotten the chance to read the book, but I'm very glad one of the Lord's servants is able to accept gay people as they should be: as people who have faults like any other person, and are looking for Jesus like any other person.

It's really sad what some churches do, kicking out gay people. Then there are some that ask gay people to remain celibate but still allow them to join the church. Then there are some that fully accept gays.

I do wonder though what effect this book will have.

Oh yeah and I'm pretty religious in case you couldn't tell.

#20 ohnobro, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014