1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need more of these bedtime stories

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by greatwhale, Jun 4, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. kem

kem

Ugh, the final question made me wanna puke. I mean come on, is the interviewer 16?

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally agree....

4. tscott

I agree I never questioned the bedroon antic of Cinderella or Snow White nor would I want to know about Earnest and Gallant...this is intended for kids, right. There enough media out lets that will answer our more purient interests.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So true! If you can find the original versions of these fairy tales, such as Snow White, you will be shocked to discover that it wasn't a kiss that woke her up! :eek:

6. Illus1

This IS so CUTE !! I was just smiling all the way reading the interview (well except that last bit) gonna dream of Earnest and Gallant tonight lol perfect name choices! now Disney where's the movie ? well it took them 40 yrs post MLK to get a black princess I wonder ...

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    These stories weren't necessarily meant for kids at the time, though. But yeah, a lot of the kid-friendly fairy tales we grew up with were much more violent in the past...

Back on topic, I have a few problems with this (or do I just feel like bitching about something?) ...
    1- Who cares that they're hot? Is this important? Do young kids care about this? Do parents? Isn't it more important that the audience likes their character, rather than their appearance? Also, of course they're going to be attractive; the book wouldn't sell if they were both covered in warts and boils.
    2- I abhor the word "bling" almost as much as "swag", and if I wished to read into this too much, I'd complain that this point is just to further the stereotype of the materialistic, superficial gay man. Though obviously, wealth and grandeur are captivating, and present even in early texts to show how powerful someone is (specifically, I'm remembering the Nibelungenlied right now).
    3-Fruit fly? Really, a "fruit" fly? as opposed to something more conventional, like a butterfly, or a bird? Or am I reading too much into this, too?

I'll skip the part where the author suggests that buying and reading his book can eliminate homophobia (actually, I'll mention it in passing, just like that), and assume he meant that reading pro-gay stories in general will help.

While romance may be complicated in practice, the basic theory is really quite simple. How exactly is it complicated to say that romantics enjoy love stories? It's not like the kid is going to be asking for an in-depth analysis of Romanticism...

wat.

Again with the hot? Really, why is this such an important part of a a bedtime story for kids, that it's mentioned multiple times?

Unless the interviewer is asking for directions to Evergreen (like the directions to Hogwarts or Neverland) this is really a childish question.

What kind of ridiculous question is that? That's like asking whether or not Sophie and Howl ever experiment in bed, or whether or not Peter and Wendy ever played "doctor." Really inappropriate.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 11:18 AM ----------

You're forgetting the Arabian princess Jasmine ('93, was it?) and Nala (African lioness, not human, but still). Also, there's Mulan (not a princess, though), who's Chinese. The Civil Rights movement still had a ways to go after King was shot; the gay movement is much closer to its goal right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pro-gay Disney movie in the next decade. A trans prince/ss hero/ine is still a ways off, I think.