1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't there be more boy meets boy/girl meets girl stories?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Noir, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Noir

Why can't there be more things in media where the story is absolutely like what we've always seen advertised, but the main characters are LGBT? The story doesn't focus on the gay factor. Two characters of the same gender meet, fall in love, have their problems, but in the end they get together just like everyone knew they would. And no one thought it was weird at all.

Sometimes, I get overwhelmed going into a bookstore or watching commercials on tv and think, "why can't we get a story like that? Why can't people see us like that, just like everybody else? It's not that weird for two people of the same gender to like each other that way."

I hate it when lesbian relationships are passed off as just very good best friends. I hate it when guys seem like they could like each other like that, but then one of them goes and falls for a girl. Why does it have to be so complicated?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Because the media is a big damn coward that's why they prefer to go the safe root than make some thing with lgbt to or lesbians couples in a serous setting because people are too damn comfortable with the one sided relationship stories

3. musicgirl18

^^^ Yup. Sucks to say it, but Stocking is right. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Although, if you are looking for some good LGBT stories, Sarah and Jennifer Diemer at muserising.com write really fantastic lesbian love stories. I'm not generally into romance, but theirs are really good! Just a thought.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm sick of heteronormative crap in media, and I'm not saying that to bash the over abundance of straight couples, I'm saying that because a lot of gay stories are shitty too.

Sigh

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'll be looking this up what you listed ,

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

I'm honestly sick of it

6. Ravi-VIXX777

This and the huge amount of backlash that would bound to happen from conservatives, fundamentalist, or anti-gay people would be horrendous saying the media is trying to approve of the 'gay lifestyle' and shove it down their throats. Which is not the case because you can turn the channel. Case closed. :dry:

7. edgy

edgy Guest

because you haven't written them yet

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe I should write for movies and shows in the future

9. BelleFromHell

Because society is a hetrosexist little bitch and the media is usually too cowardly to spit in its face.

Yay~! Can I write something, too? :grin:

10. C P

C P

Which is an amusing thought as is because, as sexualized as media has become, (straight) romance has snuck its way into literally everything; it's guy + girl love all over, 24/7, everywhere you turn.

That's what said backwards people don't seem to (want to) understand, it's actually heterosexuality that is shoved in our faces...>_> Yet an occasional/rare happening or moment of lgbt romance (that they don't even have to pay attention to because of how heteronormative things are otherwise) and you'd have thought someone used a torture device on them for years or they had gone through some horrific, traumatic event...

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes , I bet we can do a better job than any of those dumb shows on tv (!)

12. BelleFromHell

Fuck yeah, we would! (!)

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    funny you say that because in tons of lesbian shows and even movies the one of the lesbians some where is always having sex with a guy and some hetero stuff must be thrown in there some where .

14. Ravi-VIXX777

Precisely, it's a blind double standard.

15. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course we would! Who the hell do they think we are!? (!)

16. kem

kem

I'm sick and tired of all the heteronormativity, too. It's like anywhere you look there's an ad with a "real family" with the husband and wife and a kid. I don't think my straight friends really understand the feeling. /__\
    Right now I'm trying to come up with a graphic novel idea that would include a lot of lgbt characters and i'm planning on pplying for a grant and everything so hopefully I can come up with something

17. Yosia

I dont know if anyoe watches eastenders but there is a lesbian love triangle at the moment. ^.^

18. TheStormInside

I think it's becoming more common, so though there could be more we're headed in a positive direction. I remember when Willow and Tara of Buffy were the only gay couple on TV, and I believe the first lesbian on screen kiss.

Now, Modern Family just aired a two part episode about Mitch and Cam (two gay men who have been living together and have an adopted child together) finally getting married because it's become legal where they are. There were some gay issues thrown in but for the most part it was a silly but sweet sitcom story about a couple getting married and all the crazy obstacles they face on their wedding day. I thought it was pretty refreshing. We also have shows like Glee where (despite its eh... decline in quality) the LGBT characters seem almost equal in number with the straight ones, ads that feature families of all different configurations (HoneyMaid's Wholesome Families ad), and various other shows with LGBT characters.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that there's such a hole in the market should hint to somebody that if they made a gay romance, most of the LGBT people in the country would pile onto it and it would make a TON of money. Look at Brokeback Mountain. It wasn't exactly a "conventional" romance and was arguably not even gay in the purest form, but for better or worse, now it's a part of our culture. No one could dispute its success, so why shouldn't others follow its example?

20. thekillingmoon

Well, majority of the population is straight and wants to see heterosexual romance in books and movies. Gay characters are more accepted now, but they are not as relatable for straight people as traditional straight couples. That's why there is always going to be more of those. Of course, I'd love to see more same sex couples in the media and fairly realistic acting ones. I'm guessing it's not as profitable for writers/producers because the target audience is much smaller.