1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a twist ending

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by vampireboy56, Aug 22, 2008.

1. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How do I do it???
    I'm writng a story and want a twist ending...but I don't know how to write one

2. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, a twist ending is something that is totally unexpected, surprising, and sometimes ironic. The trick is to use a lot of foreshadowing (hints throughout the story that give away the ending) that make the readers think that a certain ending is going to happen, and then have a totally different unexpected ending instead.

Maybe you're looking for some possible plot ideas for a twist? If so, we'll need to know more about your story.

3. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's gay vampire horror/romance story

4. pirateninja

Well, with twists, it's always good to throw in some red herrings, and then explain them at the end. Also, throw in some random events that become clear in the ending.

But yeah, definitely make it unexpected. If people expect it, then it's not a twist. With twists, it's also best to shock the reader. Reveal the twist in one short sharp release. Or release the main twist that way. If there are slight things that are affected by it, then release them. But don't have too many main twists, otherwise the reader is going to lose track.

5. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. Steam Giant

One of the best things about a twist ending is that it creates a desire in the reader to re-read the story with the twist in mind. For example, if you're reading a novel about the investigation of a murder case, and it turns out in the end that the murderer was the detective investigating the case, the reader will want to read back over everything with that knowledge.

That being said, while it's important to drop hints to make the reader think that the book will end a certain way (when, in reality, it's going to end in a twist), it's also important to very subtly hint at the twist throughout the story. This can be tricky to pull off, and if you screw it up, you'll end up spoiling the twist for the reader, but it's these hints that'll have the reader saying, "oooooh!" when they decide to re-read the story, and also, it makes the twist more believable, so it doesn't seem like the story is going one direction, then at the very end, it was all just a dream!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. pirateninja

^ Exactly; if when they're finished. a person wants to re-read the story, then you know you've done well. People like to re-read and think "ah, of course I understand now" about events that make sense at the end. Little events that seem trivial but can mean a lot with the end in mind are good little plot devices.

8. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this is a sample from it...I'm sure it helps though

"I have always been told that love can be dangerous, it is sad how sudden I had to come to that conclusion, that thought ran through my mind as soft, cold lips pressed against my neck, "I smell your blood." He said, then I saw ivory white fangs drape down from his gums"

9. pirateninja

So, is the twist that the guy's actually a vampire?

Like the description about the fangs though :thumbsup: The good thing aboot that is just one sentence that says "uh oh, something new!" Then, the reactions and things can be explored in depth afterwards. I like it. :grin:

10. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no...okay I finally got the twist to my story

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Twist endings can be really cool, but a "twist ending for twist ending sake" tends not to be. As you write a story, the story will slowly and vaguely suggest which way it should go. I've always found it best to heed those signs. Whenever I grip the steering wheel too tight and force the story to go where I feel it should, it tends not to flow as well.

Lex

12. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  13. Alex89

Twists are EXTREMELY hard to do well - they need to be unexpected, but perfectly justifiable.

A lot of movies and novels fall into the trap of using a twist that just annoys or confuses the viewer, by doing something unexpected that had no hints towards it and therefore is obviously just a cheap addition thought of at the last minute. There has to be hints and signs of it that don't make it obvious.

Have you already written the story, except for the end? Because that's a huge mistake. A twist MUST be decided before the writing because it dictates the style, subtleties and broader view of the novel, otherwise it can completely ruin a good story as the ending is the last thing a person reads so it's the impression they're left with.

Think of it like going on a date, having a great time, getting to the front door and the person throwing up on you - will you remember the great date or the vomit?

So basically make sure the ending has a definite reason for being there, and isn't there for the sake of having a twist.

14. -Michael-

how about
    hes not a vampire....and hes not gsy...
    he just woke up in a mental institution and it was aaall just a dream :slight_smile:

15. Étoile

How about making it anti-climatic? I think that'll be a great twist. I don't know how it'll do in a gay vampire horror/romance story but it works in a few novels I've read, although they were more teenage drama novels.

16. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok...the main character's journey is Faustian... Faustian is based on the character of Faust from the play by Goethe. Faust sells his soul for the cevil for energy, love and wealth
    So the main character's Faustian journey is that he falls in love with a dangerous person

17. Adrian

Adrian Guest

You can always decide on the twist and then rewrite what you've already written around it. Agatha Christie reportedly did this.