1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Men-LGBT?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Young Blood, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has anyone ever thought that maybe X-Men may have LGBT themes? Like the mutants may be a metaphor for LGBT individuals...?

2. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't personally thought that but movies do tend to put hidden themes in them somtimes

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    god girl do we have the same minds i swear i was going to post a thread about the same thing until i read yours now :icon_wink

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I believe this has been mentioned a few times in other comic book threads. In fact... I think there is another thread directly pertaining to this, lol.

To contribute to this topic, the X-Men were made with civil rights in mind. I don't know if the LGBT community was the first choice, but one could argue they are included. I know nowadays, especially with some lines in the movies, and in the comic books, the LGBT community is definitely included.

There's been quite a few characters with differing sexualities in the comics, but sadly, most of them tend to be secondary characters. The only three that could be considered fairly central are: Colossus, Mystique (she is bisexual though), and Northstar. I may be forgetting some, as it has been a while since I've kept up with the comic books, but those are the major three.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Don't forget that several of the actors who portray them in the films are LGBT such as Ellen Page and Ian Mckellen. As well as the director of X1, X2, and days of future past is openly gay, and I'm pretty sure he didn't chose them for those roles on accident :slight_smile:

6. IG88

I've thought about that before, but I don't think that X-Men has LGBT undertones exclusively.

And Mystique can become any gender, so she's a unique metaphor for mixed gender or sexual orientations. She can be a woman or a man, and seduce women or men.

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    X-Men is has always been a series that sympathises with minorities. They even have a transgender mutant! That was in the early nineties as well, which is surprising as it was a friendly portrayal as well (though she is incredibly minor and will likely never make it into the movies). Basically, X-Men will always be something that minorities can identify with, regardless of what minorities they are. Maybe in 50 years there'll be a minority we never even realised needed help taking solace in the fact that they can identify with some badass superheroes. The X-Men comics and movies always hit me very close to home, so I had a very emotional viewing of Days of Future Past, which is my favourite X-Men movie yet.

8. White Knight

Yeah I had my teary moments in that film as well.

Do you mean Cloud by transgender mutant? Hmm but he/she was around 80s not 90s and he/she was an alien as well.

9. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking of Jessie Drake if you know who that is. I'm not sure how many people know about her as, to be honest, my X-Men knowledge is huge, but I know a bit.

10. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    X-Men is definitely a good metaphor for minorities, including LGBT individuals. The movies had LGBT themes specifically in mind and was the reason why Ian McKellan wanted to be in the movie, Bryan Singer told him that "mutants are like gays." Mutants have a lot in common with LGBT people, their mutations start to manifest during puberty, they try to blend in with everyone else, and they eventually come out to their parents or are outed by accident. The comics touch on this too, The Legacy Virus is an obvious metaphor for the AIDS epidemic and how gays were unfairly treated at the time. There's even an evil group of religious people called "The purifiers" and "the church of humanity" who think that mutants are an abomination against nature. There's a ton of LGBT characters in X-Men too though they don't always have huge roles, there's usually one included in almost every storyline as of recent. So yes, X-Men is great for LGBT people and minorities in general will always relate to it.

11. Dented

Wasn't there a thread like this a few weeks ago? Either way, I'll say the same thing here:

"Have you ever tried...not being a mutant?"

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There probably are other threads, but it kinda just came to me when I was watching it and just wondered if maybe anyone else had wondered it too.

13. PalestrinaMX

Yes! I thought the same thing. Although we don't want to wipe out straight people like Mystique and Magneto want to kills non mutants.

14. A Person

Not too long ago, Marvel had a huge story involving a gay marriage of X-Men members.

15. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, if everyone wants to know the sexuality of the x men.....
    Shatterstar(i guess pansexual? asexual? his relationship with Rictor is well known)
    Draven (bisexual tendencies)
    Northstar(gay and married to Kyle; Colossus, depending on the era)
    Wiccan and Hulking (gay couple)
    Jubilee and X23 ( i think they were together at one point...were they? correct me if i'm wrong)
    Mystique (bisexual)

there's a couple of other ones but those are the ones i know. i guess it has some references to what LGBT teens are going through, it was also the same with the Civil Rights movement. there was a lot going on around the time when x-men was written into picture, but i can say it can't be completely credited to them. they have a lot of eras; Age of Apocalypse, The Phoenix Force, House of M, Days of Future Past, Ultimate, Avengers vs X Men, Astonishing,

16. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It in fact is a metaphor for LGBT-ism
    For example, from the second movie:
    "How long have you known you're a mutant."

Simply replace "...a mutant." With the appropriate term for you, and boom, instant bridge. Only took like three seconds.