1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's get this over....top ten anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Foxface, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Foxface

Come on...get brave

what are your top ten favorite anime?

1. Angel Beats
    2. Cowboy Bebop
    3. Ichigo 100%
    4. Love Hina
    5. Princess Tutu
    6. Death Note
    7. Burst Angel
    8. Spice and Wolf
    9. Tenchi Muyo
    10. Neptunia

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I got too excited when I saw Angel Beats as your number one. It's mine too. Haha.

1. Angel Beats
    2. Hikaru no Go
    3. Bleach
    4. Fruits Basket
    5. Naruto
    6. Tsuritama
    7. Full Metal Alchemist
    8. Death Note
    9. D.N. Angel
    10. Durarara

I guess? I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing a few, and most of these are just filler...

3. 1. Hetalia~
    2. Madoka Magica
    3. Love Live!School Idol Project
    4. Ouran Highschool Host Club
    5. Oreshura
    6. No. 6
    7. Lucky Star
    8. Kaze no Stigma
    9. Rosario + Vampire
    10. Chobits

4. Foxface

Angel Beats is funny...but the feels are incredible...that ending is insane...cried like a tiny baby

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, same. I have a few soundtracks and my heart just aches when I listen to them. The underlying message is too beautiful to take light heartedly.

6. Yosia

1. Angel Beats
    2. Mirai Nikki
    3. CLANNAD
    4. Shakugan no Shana
    5. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
    6. Death Note
    7. Aria the Scarlet Ammo
    8. Kaze no Stigma
    9. C3
    10. Kyoukai mo Kanata

7. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    1. Steins;Gate
    2. Baccano!
    3. Pokemon
    4. Free!
    5. Fairy Tail
    6. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    7. Death Note
    8. Angel Beats
    9. Hataraku Maou-sama!
    10. Attack on Titan

8. TurtleCat

1. Shoujo Kakumei Utena
    2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    3. Serial Experiments Lain
    4. Elfen Lied
    5. Perfect Blue
    6. Ghost in the Shell
    7. Full Metal Alchemist
    8. Sailor Moon
    9. Urusei Yatsura
    10. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

9. Yosia

Omg cant believe i forgot that, replace my 5 with Elfen Lied.

10. TheStormInside

Those are my top three, as well! Though for me it would go Eva, Lain, then Utena.

I don't watch as much anime as I used to so I don't know if I have enough to list a top 10.

11. Gwendolyn

Considering I've only seen 8 anime so far, I can't even make a full list yet. Here it is anyways.

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    3. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
    4. Rosario + Vampire
    5. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
    6. Sekirei
    7. Attack on Titan
    8. Birdy the Mighty Decode

12. soltis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not as into anime as I used to be (not to mention that I've gotten much pickier, but there are still a few that I unabashedly love. Forgive me in advance, I'm long-winded.

1. Simoun - One of the rare good yuri animes. Budget kind of wanes during the end, but it has a very interesting portrayal of how gender roles and their effect upon society, how limiting someone’s choices due to their gender and sex affects them, as well underlying themes of history repeating itself. Also steampunk and well-written war drama. Yuri anime can have a plot, who knew.

2. Princess Tutu - Don't let the name fool you, this turned the magical girl genre on its head way before Madoka. Starts out very generic and ends up shattering traditional story-telling tropes in the best way possible.

3. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - The visual novels provide a lot more depth, but this was my first real foray into horror anime so I'm still rather close to it. Second season is better, definitely falls more into the psychological thriller category there.

4. Gatchaman Crowds - Never been much into superhero shows, and the adaptation is fairly new, but the cute characters and optimistic tone of it won me over. Not to mention seeing the internet used for good.

5. Psycho-Pass - Minority Report with more therapy. Set in a dystopian Japan parading itself as a utopia. As a warning, though, it's very violent and graphic.

6. Red Garden - Another rare anime favorite of mine. Four dead girls brought back to technical life so they can fight monster men, all while attempting to deal with the psychological distress the realization of being dead has on them.

7. Dragonball Z - I have no excuse. Blame it on the nostalgia. It's genuinely fun when you don't take it seriously.

8. Cromartie High School - COMBO BREAKER. Legitimately one of the most hilarious shows I've ever seen. It's fantastic to watch just to unwind. The dub just adds to it.

9. Gankutsuou - Anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo. Surprisingly good and fairly accurate, not to mention a beautiful and unique art style.

10. Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World - Don't let the first few episodes fool you (though the beginning might have tipped you off anyway). Things get surprisingly dark. Think The Giver with more psychic powers and mutated animals.

I'm more of a gamer than an anime person, admittedly, but I thought I'd namedrop a few of my favorite titles.

13. MycroftTARDIS

Well, I've only really seen four, but I really like them!
    1. Fullmetal Alchemist (my first ever!!!)
    2. Black Butler (I LOVE Grell, she is so creepy and cool!)
    3. Swordart Online
    4. Attack on Titan (for the last two I've seen a little bit but they're pretty good!!!)

14. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've only watched 5 but I'm going to be watching more. The 5 I've watched, in order of when I watched them, are:
    1. Clannad
    2. Blue Exorcist
    3. Death Note
    4. Sword Art Online
    5. Angel Beats

However, the order I like them is:
    1. Death Note
    2. Angel Beats
    3. Clannad
    4. SAO and BE tie

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1. Naruto both Naruto and Naruto Shippuden
    2 Kill la kill
    3 death note
    4. Madoka magica
    5. Queen's blade (get story line even though it's adult
    6 . gokukoku no brynhidr ( very underrated but great )
    7. Michiko to Hatchin ( also underrated but very well done and very sad )
    8. Tenjou Tenge
    9 Air gear
    10 Bleach

16. Hiems

1. Ouran High School Host Club
    2. Junjou Romantica
    3. Fate/zero
    4. Fate stay night
    5. Persona 4: The Animation
    6. Shakugan no Shana
    7. DBZ
    8. Rurouni Kenshin
    9. Sailor Moon
    10. Hamtaro

I grew up with 7-10 per Toonami/Cartoon Network during the afternoon haha.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Strawberry Marshmallow
    2. YuruYuri
    3. Kin'iro Mosaic
    4. Azumanga Daioh
    5. Lucky Star
    6. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight
    7. Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
    8. Bottle Fairy
    9. Kanamemo
    10. Strawberry Panic

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

1. Cowboy Bebop - I enjoyed the characters, the plot, the music, and the visuals. I can't really say anything outstanding that hasn't already been said. At only 26 episodes, it's worth it. Definitely a powerful finale. Spike is my favorite, I'd say, of the character roster.

2. DragonBall/Z - I'm not fond of the Majin Buu saga. It pretty much brought what I disliked about DragonBall Z to the forefront. In my personal opinion, it should have concluded with the Frieza saga. It wrapped up everything so well with Goku, his people, and it established Gohan as the next in line. However, I can tolerate the Cell saga, because it does allow Gohan time to shine. And, Future Trunks is a cool character. Also, Android #18 is one of the few females who, outside of the fierce wife role, stands alongside the other heavy hitters. Vegeta, however, is what really kept me into the series, and my favorite.

3. Yu Yu Hakusho - Knowing the main character dies in the first episode, is normally a major spoiler. But here, it's only the beginning. Yusuke, our "hero", is a foul-mouthed and attitude-filled teenager, who just goes through life with a combination of luck and street smarts. When he dies, he becomes a spirit detective, basically, meaning he works for the afterlife by dealing with unruly creatures and demons. I, personally, wasn't too fond of Season One. Sure, it has it's moments, but the series really shines in Season Two with the Dark Tournament. Yusuke, his rival/friend, and two demons who were former enemies, and a mysterious partner (it's kind of obvious, if you watch the series, who this is), enlist, and it's an entertaining ride. Hiei is my favorite of the cast.

4. Naruto - If you can get past how annoying Naruto is, the series isn't bad. To be honest, I didn't much enjoy Naruto's first real mission as a kid. However, being older now, it is definitely a highlight. Zabuza and Haku are a worthwhile story. Following this, you get into my favorite arc of the series, the Chunin Exams, where the young ninjas have to run trials and fight battles, to be acknowledged by their superiors, about advancing in rank. During the finals, things get wild, and Orochimaru (whom I have an avatar of, as of typing this) really stands out. I enjoy the different characters, their motives and personalities, and the theme of 'try hard, and never give up'. It's touching. I can't really narrow down a favorite character, but here's a few of mine: Rock Lee, Gaara, Shikamaru, Orochimaru, Temari, and Neji.

5. Desert Punk - If you can get pas Desert Punk (the person)'s perversion, you'll find a very outlandish and very silly Anime. It's Steampunk set, by the way. Desert Punk is a less-than-admirable character, who does what he must to get money, so that he can maintain his equipment and sustain his lifestyle. While the Anime isn't a masterpiece, it does have some moments in it, that'll either get a raised eyebrow or a chuckle. In Episode 4, you meet Kosuna, who wants to be the world's greatest mercenary. She's a little girl, but don't let that fool you. Something else to point out, at the end of Episode 20, the series totally transforms into something series. It's a fantastic sucker punch. My favorite character is probably Kosuna, followed by Desert Punk.

6. Bleach - I must admit, I stopped watching shortly after Episode 60-something, after the main character infiltrate Soul Society and prevail. I'm not sure if it was just a lose of interest, or moving on to other things, but regardless, those 60-something episodes of Bleach are amazing. The characters are well written and handled, so much so, the plot can be total garbage and you'll be entertained. Another Shonen Anime, so you have a feisty teenager, who for some reason, is enlisted to do battle with the evil in the world. Interestingly, for a Shonen, the women are written a lot better than usual. Take Yoruichi, a favorite of mine, for example. She is just kick ass. Aside from Yoruichi, Kenpachi is my favorite. He hardly ever shows up, but when he does, it's overkill. I also enjoy his companion, Yachiru, a small, pink-haired girl who is capable of viciousness.

7. One Piece - A ridiculously long Anime... so much so, even I haven't had time to catch up, and I doubt I ever will. One Piece is about a young boy wanting to become the King of Pirates. As he attempts to do this, he runs into adventure and potential shipmates. His crew, all eccentric and less than squeaky clean, come together as one big dysfunctional family. Despite the silly animation, the series does have heart when it counts, and for that, I've thanked it. Zoro/Zolo (his name changes depending on the localization) is my favorite, along with Nico Robin. They're both no-nonsense, but for different reasons.

8. Outlaw Star - Imagine Wild West outlaws... in space. This series is notable to me, because it does something early on with my favorite character, Hilda. I can't elaborate, because it would spoil it. But it definitely influences Gene, the main character, in a huge way. I suppose it should also be worth noting, there's an openly homosexual male, though this was heavily edited in the American television run. Already said it, but "Hot Ice" Hilda is my favorite character.

9. Voltron - Giant fuckin' robot lions combine into a giant fuckin' mecha-man. I mean, it doesn't get more awesome than that. If you can watch it in another format, than the Western translation, which edited out quite a bit, you'll find a very interesting story. While watching Voltron fight evil alien-monsters is entertaining, I was more fascinated with why this galaxy was at war, and the various factions. One thing that always baffled me about this show is, the Voltron Force had colored outfits, but their colored outfit did not match the robot lion they drove. It was just weird. I guess, maybe, it confused the enemy as much too. I don't really have a favorite character here, to be honest.

10. Galaxy Express 999 - A young boy's mother is killed, and her dying wish is for him to become stronger, ala a "machine body". Not wanting to be seen as useless or weak, Tetsuro, our hero, boards the space-traveling steam engine train. Along the way he runs into various other people, and even learns something about being human. Again, all of the characters serve their purpose, so I can't really pick a favorite. I suppose Captain Harlock's cameo counts, so I'll go with him.

Man, that was harder than I expected. But I think I got it.

19. stormborn

1. Hyouka
    2. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    3. Kimi ni Todoke
    4. Gin no Saji
    5. Karneval
    6. Karneval
    7. Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
    8. Uchuu Kyoudai
    9. Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan
    10. Hataraku Maou-sama!

Ouran High School Host Club should probably be on that list somewhere... i watched it so long ago and so many times since that it's, like, engrained in my being. :lol:

20. MissMook

First 5 are in no particular order because they're all equally the best in their own way.

1. Cowboy Bebop - The best in a way that it is the perfect anime for anyone, including non-anime watchers. What else is there to say? It's perfect.

2. Madoka Magicka - The best in a way that it gets almost everything right in a story, its art direction is gorgeous, and the symbolism and level of interpretation are endless. Great characters with each their own amount of screen-time and character development. Great twists. Great music. A fantastic story told with no loose ends, in 12 episodes alone.

3. Paranoia Agent - Fantastic stories. Tons of interpretation that will keep you questioning. Great themes. Expertly written and directed by the great Satoshi Kon.

4. Gurren Lagann - Makes you feel like you can punch a God. You don't need to be a Saiyan to be the strongest. You don't need to be cursed with demonic powers. You don't need to be the chosen one. You, a human being, are the most powerful being already and all you need is a giant robot as your weapon.

5. FLCL - Watched it when I hit that super awkward and confusing transition that is puberty. It resonated with me perfectly in a way that Naota was like any other boy struck by the Vespa-woman. As I got older, I picked up more things that I never even got before. It is the once anime I can think of that aged with me.

The rest, I consider follow-ups, they're just not as timeless.

6. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - It gets so much right, that others get wrong. One of the best representations of female characters in any anime that aren't used for fan service in any way, actually do interesting stuff, are actual characters that develop, and are part of the plot. Great action that hits the perfect high notes. Great character designs all around that all feel diversified in shape and size and don't suffer from "same-face." Great animation that doesn't seem to stagnate for too long. Great musical score. Fantastic plot that consists of great twists, lots of foreshadowing, tons of character development and interaction, well-paced exposition, and can certainly teach Attack on Titan a lesson on actually answering all the friggin' questions! I'd recommend it even to non-anime fans if it just didn't suffer from the usual anime antics.

7. Kill la Kill - Best pacing of any series! PERIOD! Every episode, something is going on. Great fight scenes! Great twists! The music is amazing! Equal amounts of fan-service. Overall, the most fun I've had with an anime series since Gurren Lagann. Although, the huge amounts of fanservice is not for everyone.

8. Samurai Champloo - Great storytelling, love the characters and all their interactions, great lesson in Japanese history, and funny when it needs to be. A piece of artwork, through and through. Its budget episodes though, are very noticeable, even around the end.

9. Trigun - Very humorous beginning, very dramatic ending. Animation is great whenever it is well needed. Characters are wonderful. Themes last with you for a while. Wish the pacing was a tad faster in the beginning, though.

10. G Gundam - Guilty Pleasure. It's corny, it's dumb, it's cheesy, and it's soooo hammy! But it has a unique charm that was the only Gundam series that drew me in as a kid. It was also the only Gundam that had this sort of Toksatsu cheesiness to it that made it easy to make fun of, but have a blast while doing it.

Azumanga Daioh is not on the list because it cannot be ranked, it is that good and the comedic timing is perfect through and through. It is a SIN to dislike Azumanga Daioh.