1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by xballetxbeautyx, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I watched this all the way through for the first time yesterday and it's my new favourite movie. I've heard that the romance between Idgie and Ruth was glossed over in the film because they thought having lesbians in it would make it less popular, but I thought it was pretty obvious that they're in love. I haven't read the book yet, but I think I'm going to buy it today. I'm super excited. Anybody else seen this film? What did you think of it? ~megan~

2. Ben

Ben

I saw this a few months back and absolutely love it :slight_smile:

It is one of my favourite films. I haven't read the book, but it's meant to be quite different to the movie...

3. I just got the book this afternoon, but I'm a fast reader and I just finished it. I'm crying. I thought the movie was better in some ways, but I loved the bit at the end of the book where Idgie's serving honey to the little girl. UGH it's so depressing though, cause everybody dies.

Whatever. In my mind they all lived happily ever after.

4. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to watch that movie about 5 times before I could make sense of everything that happened.

Haven't read the book, though I probably should. In the book, is Jessica Tandy's character (Ninny?) another person there with Idgie and Ruth? The movie sort of suggested to me that she was Idgie.

5. Lol, no, Ninny's not Idgie. You know how I could tell? She was wearing a dress. :icon_wink

Naw, she's Virginia Threadgoode, sort of unofficially adopted by the Threadgoode family and then she marries their son, Cleo. In the book, it's more clear 'cause they show Idgie as an old woman, still selling honey.

6. dreamfinder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I watch it like once a month.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!