1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics - Openly gay Aussie winner of men's 10m diving

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex89, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Alex89

Hi guys

I was just watching a recording of the Men's 10m Diving Final from the Olympics where aussie Mathew Mitcham won when no-one was expecting him to even place. He had a perfect last dive, it was amazing.

Anyway, something interesting in the newspaper was he's actually openly gay, which is great when it gets recognition through other means such as showing an olympic champion openly gay and happy. It was sweet at the end seeing him overcome with emotion and hugging his boyfriend speechless.

Oh, and he's also really hot. =O Haha.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24231335-5014104,00.html

Something else I just read now, he's the ONLY openly gay male athlete in the Beijing olympics!

2. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

ooo. Hottie! :grin:
    ... and yay gay people!! lol

... but wow! He's hot :astonished:

3. Alex89

I find that really unusual to only have one openly gay male athlete in the olympics out of hundreds (thousands?).

But good on him! I was reading he actually needed to apply for a sponsorship thing to get the money to fly his boyfriend over to support him since in aussie government still doesn't recognize gay partnerships as being on the same level as straight ones, all the other athletes had their partners flown over and paid for.

4. kramer362

I love how he didn't even make a dramatic declaration of his sexuality. An interviewer asked who he lived with and he said his partner. :icon_bigg

I think if there were more athletes who made a non-issue of their sexuality and just lived openly it would help spread acceptance