1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you watched "The L Word?"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by hoodiestrings, Jun 25, 2014.

1. hoodiestrings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm only just starting to watch it. A lot of female LGBTQ+ bloggers I follow have treated watching this show as something akin to a rite of passage for queer women, and I'm wondering if this is really the case.

If you've seen it, how old were you when you saw it? And did you like it?

2. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've only ever seen Season 1.

I was in my mid 20's, and I liked the show :slight_smile:

3. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I watched it when it first came out so I was in my late teens/early 20's. I was dating a guy when first started watching it... that should have been a BIG red flag!

There are things that I liked and other in which i just thought that Ilene Chaiken had completely lost her mind! I also thought that every single character was completely insane but i liked it, it was entertaining.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I hated it personally.

5. I'm not a super huge fan of the show, but I watched it right after I came out. It was nice to have a show that was by-and-large about queer women.

I think that's why it's treated as a rite of passage of sorts. Because it's rare enough for queer women to be represented at all, much less as much as they are in TLW.

I mean, the representation even in that show could use some serious work... but again, we have so little media rep as it is...

6. ballawin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never got into it just yet.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I saw all the episodes and I love it.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually liked this show but there was a lot of things on this show that got me upset how they portrayed lesbians but it's not as bad as faking it .
    Shane was my favorite character and Jenny was as well even though
    She became a bitch .[/spoiler ]
    I also really connected to the character Jenny and Carmen even though at the time i was identifying as bi and never thought of myself as a lesbian but we were both femme and liked women .
    I still watch it just for entertainment . Funny it has a lot of stuff i hate but I don't hate it for some reason because i remember thinking when watching some episode what the hell are they thinking .

#9 stocking, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  10. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I saw the three seasons, and i was in my early twenty. It's à nice show.

11. Yes, I have! I've seen all of season 1 and almost finished with season 2 as well. I was obsessed with it when I first discovered it, but as time went on, I'm not really into it as much. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but it could use a lot of tweaking, like how it kind of sexualized lesbians - Now, lesbians can have sex, but they showed them having sex quite a lot (though I really don't mind it when I'm in the "mood" lol). I would of rather it be something more teens (and lesbians in general) could relate to. It also had a ton of biphobia in it to when it came to Alice's character - I heard that she ends up swearing she's a lesbian instead of a bisexual in a later episode :/ Those would be my only complaints though. It's entertaining and I can relate to some things - I'm still going to finish it when I have the time! :slight_smile:

#11 bisexualkpopfan, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  12. hoodiestrings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I'm not sure if I want to continue watching-- Jenny's character is really beginning to rub
    me the wrong way (no pun intended). Cheating is not okay!

I actually really like Shane, she seems incredibly down to earth.
    Experiencing a slight crush on Dana also haha.

And I agree, there is quite a lot of sexualization going on. I haven't even finished the first season and I feel like I've seen every lead character naked already haha.

I am ultimately glad that it exists, simply because it's one bit of media where there is an abundance of queer women. And it is entertaining.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the representation of bi women, because I haven't seen Alice really on screen enough yet.

13. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I saw a couple of episodes. I found it funny (not in a good way) and annoying.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You got the whole meat of it hun I was really annoyed at some parts well a lot of parts love the show but annoying is the right word

15. TurtleCat

I watched Season 1 and liked it. I'd like to watch it all the way thru someday as they have the whole series on NetFlix. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed some of the characters, especially Shane! Shane is neat. It's also enjoyable to see so many girl-on-girl romances in one show. I find this and Orange is the New Black to be a real treat as far as lesbian couplings go.

16. binda94

i seen a few episodes then 'studying' had to come first i was about 17 and i love Katherine Moennig in it so sexy

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I just felt like it was too sexualized and implied that lesbians all cheat and can't have committed relationships. I understand that drama makes it more exciting and It's not 'real' but unfortunately many people tried to 'learn' from that show.

It wasn't relatable to me at all, which is why it eventually turned me off in the end.

Plus, it had poor representation of bisexuals and trans people.