1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup: your thoughts on Luis Suárez's suspension

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Paradoxiolitic, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, what are your thoughts regarding FIFA's issued suspension on Luis Suarez after the noteworthy biting incident? Personally, I think it's entirely legitimate, although the uruguayan press is making it look like some diabolic scheme.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh, then the Uruguayan press is crazy. It would have been a disgrace if he had been allowed to continue playing, and frankly I heard calls for bans of much longer than 4 months. Entirely reasonable ban for him.

3. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Its a perfectly good and just ban for a disgusting player. I was starting to like him because he is a very good player but his personalty and behaviour stinks. This is the third time in his career that he has bitten a player and he has not learnt from his previous punishments.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool try and sell him now, the first 10 games will effect Liverpool greatly. He causes way too much controversy.

4. Yosia

I honestly think he has a mental problem which makes him do it. Which means he isnt safe to play.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stand by my previous assertion: In order to continue playing, he must have have all his teeth pulled, and then get dentures.

He will not be allowed to wear said dentures while playing. Thus, Suarez will only be able to gum the other team. Problem solved.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just talking with someone about this at work this morning. I am fully in favor of the ban

7. Gallatin

(Full disclosure: I am a HUGE Liverpool fan)

FIFA were fully justified in handing down the punishment that they did, and though it hurts Liverpool, I reluctantly must agree with their decision. Suarez has been involved in far too much controversy, and biting another player three times is absolutely unacceptable. Honestly, if they had banned for an even longer amount of time, I would've been okay with that.

I'm torn about whether Liverpool should sell him, for a few reasons. First, he is a world-class player, and there aren't many of those around. Also, with this latest debacle, his value may have taken a hit, and I don't want to see us get less money in return. But, with all these antics, I do wonder whether he's worth the headache. Maybe a swap deal with Barcelona for Alexi Sanchez + cash? Can't say I'd be opposed to that.

8. Paradoxiolitic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My thoughts exactly! On a side note, I lost all respect not only for him, but for Lugano. He made a fool of himself when interviewed and acted so pretentiously.

LOL Huskypup, I laughed hard. :lol:

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    world class players do not bite people HAHA, but i will say that part is true.

everything seems justified in this case. i think they're on point and they did say they looked over the rulebooks and guidelines. i think a ban like that is more then enough. he's also not suppose to do anything associated with FIFA, nor go near the stadium at any time in that period of time. let the Uruguayans get their knickers burned. if anything they should be disgraceful about their player, not the association.

10. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a soccer referee myself, I think FIFA is being too easy on him. Biting qualifies as violent behavior under the Laws of the Game; an offense for which most if not all leagues will issue a suspension or expulsion in addition to the red card at the incident. Honestly, I would permanently remove him from play. He's had multiple bite incidents and apparently multiple send-offs aren't enough to get the point across. Get him off of the field forever, and treat future incidents the same. It doesn't matter how good of a player someone is; if they're going to be doing things like that, they need to be removed.

11. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He should be banned FOR LIFE! This is not the first time he did this! Do you guys know that he actually punched a guy on field but the ref didn't see it?!!

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think the ban is anywhere near long enough. This is not an isolated incident by any stretch and previous suspensions, while lengthy, have failed to put a rocket up his arse. I think he should have been banned for the entirety of next season, with a life ban should he be convicted of violent conduct again.

That being said, if this is a psychological problem then the game should be doing what it can to get Suarez the right help. Even if it means making it a condition of him returning to the game.

13. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Disclosure: Man Utd fan.

Firstly, he's never gonna get a lifetime ban. I've believed that before the bite, after he did and also still do after the punishment has been handed out.
    He's a world class player that people (you & I) pay to watch. It's money that mainly Liverpool benefit from but one way or another still essentially benefits the FA, Fifa, Uefa etc. It's an entertainment industry which those organisations basically own. They don't want to reduce the value of the entertainment by taking away one of the stars of the show- won't happen. This ordeal in itself is only attracting MORE attention to the sport.

From a more on-the-field point of view, it's lenient of course. In fact, it works out as a lighter punishment than last time. 4 months sounds a lot, but by the time the season starts he's already served over half of that. He essentially misses 9 games, whereas it was 10 last time. He'll also miss some International games, which, aside from the World Cup, he won't give a flying f...ish about.

With this said, I have been asked by many what exactly do I think the correct punishment would be. Honestly, I don't know.

Sure it's vile, disgusting and has a terrible influence on younger viewers. I read a story in the news last time he did it (the second) that within a week there had been complaints at kids at school copying what he did and biting other students. He's an awful role model.

On the other hand, performing a thunderous two footed tackle and breaking someones leg into 3 pieces usually provides a 3 match ban at most, for potentially ending or at least severely harming your fellow professionals whole future/career. These can be accidents, but trust me I've played football before, that serious of injury is nearly always reckless, stupid or worse (intending to leave a mark, albeit if not that serious). Let's be honest, Chellini's life was hardly in danger when Suarez bit him. Does 3 games for a career ending tackle sound justified when getting nipped on the shoulder gives 9-10 games? I'm not justifying either, it just doesn't seem consistent.

I've put both sides forward, my main reason for voting somewhat lenient is I don't see the justification is this suspension being logically speaking, less than the previous.

#13 RedDev84, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The difference is that one can't explicitly prove that such a tackle had intent behind it. While I don't know so I'd like to think that if they had a way of telling, they would ban for life any person intentionally trying to end a player's career. And hopefully, similar societal outrage. Meanwhile it's very difficult to accidentally bite someone.

15. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sure and you're pretty spot on with this really. The only thing is I sometimes think players who go in FAR too hard in tackles and cause damage are ignored as it was a tackle which is 'part of the game'. But I think I said in my original post, to cause severity of damage we're discussing, it's usually either very reckless and use of far too much force OR a very innocuous tackle like that of Antonio Valencia against Rangers.

A new thing to add to this:
    Why does a headbutt such as Pepe's recently in the World Cup or Zindane's infamous one against Italy only justify 3 games? What part of biting justifies more than double the sentence? Like I said, I just want to bring this to debate really, I'm far from suggesting that the incident wasn't serious, just want to see your point of views

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad somebody likes this idea!

Clearly, the denture route is the best, safest solution.

Plus, we could use a menacing pair of pliers for the procedure.

17. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's an absolute disgrace to football. I love football and I actually started thinking he had started maturing at the end of the season for Liverpool. He's very talented and it's an absolute shame that he can't control his temper. He obviously has something wrong with him, however. I would just like to say, had I gone up to 1 person on the street and but them, I may have gotten away with it lightly, but a second or a third time definitely, I would be prosecuted. Why aren't they using that as an action against him just because he is on a Football pitch? He's showing no respect the chiellini and he completely dismissed the incident and didn't even apologise. I'm glad he's out of the World Cup but I would have liked to see him out for longer for Liverpool. But I hope now, he won't do it again, because he has masses of talent and Liverpool (if he stays there) will struggle without him for sure.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's sad is that in the end, not much will happen, because:

$

or, I should say

£

...at the end of the day, this is what controls major sporting events/leagues.

#18 HuskyPup, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  19. Caracol

Caracol Guest

He's messed up in the head, i can see him getting himself killed one day.