1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avril Lavigne

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GuitarGirl1350, Apr 19, 2007.

1. GuitarGirl1350

I just got Avril's cd ^_^ has anyone else got her new one yet? What are your opinions? Do we like old angsty Avril or new, preppy Avril?

2. Half-Light

I want to get her new CD...but I dont have the money to get it yet. About the deabte over her old or new image, I would have to say I loved her when she did her first album, but I only loved her more and more as went along...So I'll always like Avril's music no matter what!...lol

Half-light

3. I love both sides of Avril. Im not sure about getting her CD though cause I like Girlfriend but I wanna hear what else comes on the radio before i buy it.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I HATE HATE HATE her new song and video (Girlfriend)... the one about the song's narrator (i.e. Avril) breaking up two people who are together because Avril is so much better. It's really made me lose respect for her because the way the boy's actual girlfriend in the video is portrayed is, to me, as basically a "nice girl who is slightly dorkish" and the song's narrator is portrayed as a "bad yet sexy girl."

I'm like, "Gee Avril, nice message to send to all those queen bees in high school--pick on the dorky people and steal their boyfriends because it's totally okay!" The lines are just SO appalling.

I usually always prefer angsty because angsty at least has a chance of being deep. I certainly prefer Avril's angsty stuff.

5. I always felt bad for the girl in the video but they're both Avril lol.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah they're both played by her, sure. I was talking more about the symbolism... plus the lyrics are pretty clear.

7. ik but im sure she was just poking fun. But sure i bet she didnt REALLY think about the message she was giving

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I suspect if she were called on it she would be like, "Oh it's just supopsed to be a fun song." And okay, I know she didn't ASK to be a role model (no one usually specifically asks) but that doesn't mean she isn't and that she shouldn't have some kind of social conscience. I'm sure it's possible--no wait, it IS possible for sure to make fun songs that don't involve slagging people.

As someone who is ostensibly "punk," she should know what it's like to be ostracised.

9. I agree. She'd probably be taken aback with a response like that. She described her whole album as playful, so she wasn't aiming for that reaction but you're right she should be aware that its a possibility that some might have that thought

10. But it's like with say Carrie Underwood for example. I love her but like in her song before he cheats her message is if you get cheated on dumped and the person moves on, its ok to go out and vandalize their cars and other possessions.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but in Carrie Underwood's case, she's totally RIGHT!

:lol:

Yes, I see what you mean...

12. LOL:lol: But yeah so they dont always think about certain thoughts their songs could incite

13. GuitarGirl1350

Well, okay, Girlfriend is a little doofy. But the rest of the cd is LOADS better. The video for GF scares me a little. The song is catchy but I'll admit the lyrics are subpar. It's like a horny 10 year old cheerleader. But regardless, I LOVE AVRIL! For the most part, they're alot better than GF. Innocence is really good if anyone wantsta download it.

doesn't hurt that she's effing hot either ;]

14. Half-Light

i just have to say: i love Girlfriend...lol...

15. Half-Light

And yes, even though I am gay, i do think she is effing hot!!!!...lol

16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Okay i'm swaying dangerously back and forth on the fence.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE old angsty Avril. She's my role model.

This new one.. i'm very hesitant about, while i recognise she is still Avril, i feel like marriage has unfortunately, changed her. For the worse i think.

While i like her new songs, their messages are undoubtibly mischeivious and as joey said, a bit against people who are 'different' *cough nerds cough*. And i really used to admire how she always supported being different.. as in her song "Nobody's Fool" (album: Under My Skin).

I feel like she's a bit brainwashed..

Okay i defintely am off the fence after talking about this.. i miss old Avril.

17. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Avril as long as I don't have to hear her singing live. Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!!! But her studio albums are good.

18. Half-Light

I just bought the new album...sorta a disappointment...but there are some good songs

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I've changed my mind (SURPRISE!! lol)

I've just sampled her new album. And i can clearly still see the angsty Avril i love!!

The new sound is 'preppy' so much to me.
    Just it is highly influenced by love (she's married, give her a 'get out of jail free' card eh?)

I think she hasn't changed THAT much, it's just one album, maybe the next one will be more back to her former albums. But hopefully still fresh. :icon_wink

20. Half-Light

yes, her marraige has definately affected her music...i must say i like her new image, its just some of the songs on the album arent my taste...but most of the songs on her new album are so damn good!!...lol