1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replaying old video games you owned as a kid.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by redneck, Jul 1, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is mostly for those who are like 25+ and on your at least third game console.

I'm 33 and have gamed on Atari 7600(I think that's the one I had), SNES, and playstation 1,2,&3. I have recently decided to go back and try some of the games I feel in love with while growing up. Anybody else do this? What are some of the ones you still love? The ones you asked why you wasted your time growing up?

Ok some games just seem timeless like Mario 3 (Nes), Mario World (SNES), Sonic 1-3 (Sega), or Crash Bandicoot (Playstation) and going back they were just what I expected, a good clean way to kill time.

Then there are games I cannot believe I spent my youth playing like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nes) this game was horrible the arcade version rocked but the NES version was ugly. Then there was RocketMan that I probably spent enough renting back in the day that I could have bought two copies. When I went back, it was a broken game. The controls almost seemed more of a suggestion than anything else plus the story was horrible.

Then the good

NBA Jam (SNES) even with today's games like the NBA 2K series getting pretty realistic this game is still good. Who can resist a full court two-on-two matchup that results in a dunk fest that would put Jordan to shame. Couple that with the phrases"He's on fire" and "From downtown" that made it into pop culture and this is a nice stroll down memory lane.

Then this weekend I finally broke down and got the game I had been avoiding because I loved back in the late 90's. You still hear people rave about this game. I wondered if it was just to many fond memories that wouldn't die. Would it stand the test of time? I didn't want to crush my spirit by finding out it was crap, but for $10 I did it. I downloaded Final Fantasy XII and let me tell you even though the graphics show their age (17 years) this game is still beautiful. I was immediately sucked back into a world of Clouid, Mako Reactors, and Sepheroh. I downloaded it about noon on Saturday and put over 22 hours into it before shutting it off and forcing myself to go to sleep Monday morning (work nights). I hated to turn it off the game is still the masterpiece that everyone thought it was back in '97. If I had put that much time into a modern game I'd be on my second play through, yet I barely made a dent in this one. Why can't they make games like that today? To hell with lifelike graphics give me something that looks decent, has an amazing story, and that there is no way to beat in a long three day weekend. I am dieing to get back to this game but I know that if I were to turn it on now at 8am that I'd look up at 8pm and be three hours late for work. I have a three day weekend coming up and I'm counting down the hours. This my friend is why this game will probably keep appearing near the top of everybody's "top games of all time" list for another 17 years. I am blown away how a game that is over 15 years old can still be this amazing!

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not 25+, but I'm on my 4th console generation and 6th if you consider ones I've played but not owned.

I can't remember any old games that were completely terrible. Some lousy, yeah, like most licensed movie games. But most were actually pretty frickin' good. The original Spyro series for PS1 is the highlight I think, and they still hold up amazingly well today. I also liked Ape Escape (ahead of its time I think), Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, and Metal Gear Solid on the same console.

Didn't play a lot of SNES but I distinctly remember Super Mario World, and how I saw immediately that it was designed to kill you in a million different ways XD.

3. rainshadow

My friend has a copy of zombies at my neighbors for snes. I remember playing that game all the time and had gotten pretty far into it too. Didn't even get half way. Forgot how hard the game is! Super fun though!

"To hell with lifelike graphics give me something that looks decent, has an amazing story, and that there is no way to beat in a long three day weekend." <---totally agree!
    My all time favorite game is final fantasy VI. I can play that game over and over again.

4. Simple Thoughts

I've been working my way through the Legend of Zelda games recently.

I beat the original a week ago, and I'm what I assume is half-way through A Link to the Past now. I've got to say these games are super fun, and a lot better than a bunch of modern titles. I love the feel of them, the gameplay, and the way it lets you explore and discover things :slight_smile:

5. Candace

I found my old Gamecube in my closet, which I got for my birthday in 2002, and I've been wanting to play Super Mario Sunshine again. For a 12 year old game, the graphics are amazing and that game was so awesome!! :grin:

6. Gwendolyn

Super Mario Sunshine was awesome. It's one of the main reasons I still play my gamecube. That and Metroid Prime 1 & 2. They're all amazing games!

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Final Fantasy, Shining Force

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

usually a let down, but sometimes enlightening

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I still own a vast majority of games, that I did as a kid. Some don't hold up too well, but a few still do. Most Mario and Sonic games hold up, for example.

Another hidden gem, that most people didn't know or have forgotten about is, Rocket Knight Adventures for the SEGA Genesis. It was Konami's attempt to cash in on the mascot craze of the 90s, when Sonic and Mario were dominating. It's still a beautiful-looking game, with an awesome soundtrack, and a fun control style.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, for the Super Nintendo, also holds up well. Another gem by Konami. Great music, nice graphics, and enjoyable gameplay. My only fault with this game is, it's kind of short.

Star Fox 64, for the Nintendo 64, is still as awesome as it was then, today.

I could go on and on, but that'll suffice for the moment.

10. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    actually im not 25+
    as for consoles i owned sega genesis when i was a kid and it was great
    i had some other sega consoles dont remember the names though i just remember sonic 1 2 & 3
    also we had a nes console all i remember is super mario bros 1 2 & 3
    oh neo geo was a great system i cant forget playing the good games snk made back in the days
    oh Sonic R and sonic adventure both on pc tho i dont think it counts
    all the games i mentioned are either on pc or my portable nes player (a chinese MP4 which can play nes games its great and really really cheap !) now and replaying them whenever i feel bored and want a simple video game

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

oh and i forgot to mention i had a large ps1 games library and i still play them on my ps2 now with the same old memory cards better graphics and faster loading times

11. Candace

I was thinking of getting those games too! I only know about Samus because of Super Smash Bros Melee :grin:

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm only 22 and i'm on my 7th generation console (if you consider it 7th generation), and have at least one console from 3rd to 6th generation

i went back to play kingdom hearts on my ps 2, so much nostalgia! as well as final fantasy X. also played banjo kazooie (64), which made my childhood haha. i remember killer instincts as well, my parents forbid me to play that because of the contents.

13. Candace

You're not alone. Banjo Kazooie made my childhood too. Mumbo, that which Grundy, and those Jingos :slight_smile:

14. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES!!! finally someone i know that played it before! yea, mumbo jumbo ruled! even though he turned me into a useless pumpkin...grunty's voice was annoying (!)

15. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Around 2003-ish I had a website where I replayed games that mocked me as a child and wrote reviews for them.

Worst of the worst - Super Pitfall for NES. Remember this piece of trash? :lol: I spent so much time as a kid trying to play that disaster. What a waste!

Clash at Demonhead (also NES) was another one. Played the hell out of that as a kid. Why? Fuck if I know. Replaying it was depressing it's so bad.

Best games that stand the test of time - Link to the Past. Still one of my all time favorites. It was the first "real" game I ever played. Real as in, where I was invested with not just my time but my emotions as well. I'll never forget the part where Ganon reveals himself, turns into a bat and crashes through the top of the Pyramid. Fucking awesome.

Yoshi's Island is another one. Great level design, tremendous boss battles, fantastic storytelling, nice amount of humor, wonderful music. Really solid game.

16. twosoups

not 25+ but, I recently purchased zombies ate my neighbors for the snes from a local video game store. Maybe I'll beat it this time around.