1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone into Japanese Music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kosmusurfer, Jul 10, 2014.

1. kosmusurfer

kosmusurfer Guest

I've been studying Japanese for over 3 years with a Japanese tutor, however, it's been on and off lately due to her personal issues.

When I started getting interested in Japanese music, I used to listen to Utada Hikaru, Koda Kumi, Namie Amuro and BoA, however, since then, my musical taste has changed and I've started to look for the more "obscure" music, so currently I like to listen to a little bit of Salyu (I prefer her salyu x salyu project rather than her solo projects, as I find her solo albums to be a bit vanilla in my taste as she has an amazing voice and can do so much more) UA, bird (just her classic stuff - first 2 albums) and a bit of Hitomitoi

Anyone else is into that stuff?

2. Greeley

Im not really into Japanese music but i've maned to see MUCC & Babymetal live before....

But i dont think thats what you mean or like haha.

3. Night Rain

I'm really into Japanese video game music (Nobuo Uematsu, Kenji Ito,...) if that counts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not sure if BEGIN is an obscure band or not but they're amazing. They're the original artists for the famous song Nada Sou Sou.

[youtube]AsNOFBkl_pA[/youtube]

4. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I listen to a ton of Japanese music, like JAM Project, Joe Inoue, Nobodyknows+, Kiryuu, Anthem, Loudness, Onmyou-Za, Lightning, D, Biosphia, Psychic Lover, Born, Ichiro Mizuki, Exist Trace, and Danger Gang.

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  6. Night Rain

I love it. :slight_smile: I think the Japanese know how to arrange a song. The way they bring together different instruments and make them sound so pleasing to the ears is just amazing. The instrumentation of Japanese songs is one of a kind.

7. tulipinacup

I'd like to explore Japanese Music more because I do think they have a lot to offer but I've only gotten to a few songs that I really do enjoy such as:
    [YOUTUBE]B9UrspUaWJM[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]5WNm-CQF8ds[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]vm_gCBsyFQ8[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a big fan of Sōtaisei Riron and I even downloaded their Town Age album. Do you know any other bands that sounds just like them?

8. Higs

9. kosmusurfer

kosmusurfer Guest

Sadly no, not my taste, but thanks for introducing me to Fuji Fabric, they remind me a lot of サカナクション (Sakanaction)

10. Yosia

I listen to it a little bit Except vocaloids which i listen to all the time but are they classed as JMusic? ^^

11. tulipinacup

Thanks for introducing me to Sakanaction!

12. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think it's purely narrow minded to dislike music for being in a different language. Alot of my favorite music ever is technically Japanese since I watch alot of anime which the Japanese compose the soundtracks for. Admittedly much of the J-pop and rock I listen to I found from anime but I'm always open to anything and love discovering new stuff from all kinds of different cultures. There's less exposure to it over here so finding the really good stuff takes a bit more work. It's worth it when you find something really awesome though. My favorite japanese artists at the moment are probably the Yoshida Brothers, particularly this song by them. I just love the sound of traditional Japanese instruments and percussion, especially Shamisen which these 2 are both amazing on:

[youtube]yIFtMuRfT90[/youtube]

#13 kageshiro, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. Yes! I love Perfume, Buono, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Cute, Morning Musume, Capsule, Exist Trace, and Crystal Kay (she's half black and half Korean, but born in Japan and sings Japanese music most of the time). I'm into Japanese music as much now that I've gotten into K-pop, but I'll still listen to these artists!

15. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes I'm also into I listen to koda kumi too I'm also into Jrock and heavy metal bands it's one of best . I was introduced to japanese music by my teacher who told me if I listened to it , it will help my listening skills .

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say I'm "into" Japanese music, but I've heard both traditional flute and taiko pieces and they are incredible.

18. Omg, I love Koda Kumi too! <3

19. WorldWalker

I love Japanese culture, fashion, anime and food. :slight_smile: As for music, I'm more into traditional pieces. There's nothing more beautiful than the sound of a koto. I may not be a great fan of newer Japanese music but I am a huge fan of Japanese Horror and Asian Horror films in general. Oh, and of course anime. But! If anyone wants to discuss horror films, I am your gal :slight_smile:

20. tulipinacup

First 5 seconds and I'm already in love. Do you know what the instrument is used here? Is it Koto?