Being Fashionable with a dress code

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MtnFr3sh, Jul 11, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I'm having trouble finding some tips on how to look good in a somewhat tight dress code. It's loosely enforced but I have a feeling they may actually enforce it when school starts this year. I have some ideas on what to wear that fits into my dress code, but I'm not sure if it looks too... gay.

I guess my school could be an example of a strict dress code. It's long so I'm putting it in spoiler tags.

The purpose of the recommended dress code policy is to foster pride within the *ISD
    student body, staff and community that will result in the provision of an educational
    environment that encourages students to be about “the business of school”, to build
    student self-esteem, bridge socioeconomic differences between students and encourage
    positive behavior, thereby promoting school safety and improving the academic learning
    environment.

All students are required to comply with this policy each day except for those
    designated as “Discretionary Days” or “School Spirit Days” by building principals.

Campus administrators will have complete and final judgment on all matters concerning
    the interpretation of the standardized dress policy. Matters concerning appearance and
    dress not specifically addressed in the policy shall be within the discretion of the
    administration.

Students who attend school in violation of the standardized dress policy will be dealt
    with in accordance with the *** ISD Student Code of Conduct.

Clothing

Shirts/Blouses

Style
    • Polo-style shirts with collars long or short sleeve.
    • Shirts with collars long or short sleeve.
    • Logos on shirts must not exceed 2”.
    • *** School spirit shirts on approved spirit days or special occasions
    designated by campus administration
    • Shirts must be tucked and appropriately sized. Shirts must be tucked in so that
    belts show and no skin is exposed.
    • Shirts must be free of any writing or advertisements.
    • All shirts must be fastened no lower than 4 inches from the top of the collar.
    • Sleeveless or capped sleeve shirts/blouses are not allowed.

**Pants and shirt must be alternating in color

Slacks, Pants, Capri Pants, Shorts, Skorts/Skirts

Style
    • Solid pants/shorts/Capri style with belt loops and appropriately hemmed.
    • Shorts must be walking style. Hem must fall between the top and bottom of the
    knee.
    • Skorts/Skirts allowed at Edison, Chalmers and Lee only.
    • Full cut/baggy, carpenter, overall, painter, hip-hugger, or low-rise pants are not
    allowed.
    • Baggy-style legged slacks or bell-bottom pants wider than shoes are not allowed.
    • Jeans of any color not permitted.
    • Pants must be worn at waist and appropriately sized
    • Logos or labels on pants must be not longer that 1” x1”
    • Soccer or boxer style shorts are not allowed, except as directed by instructor
    during PE/Athletics, Cheer, Band or Drill team classes.
    • Brads, studs or other adornments are not allowed on pants, shirts or belt

Color
    Khaki, Navy/Blue, or Black.
    **Pants and shirt must be alternating in color

Undershirts

Style
    • Solid color
    • Must be tucked and appropriately sized

Sweatshirts/Sweaters/Vests

Style
    • Must be worn over dress-approved shirt/blouse
    • Must be appropriately sized in the shoulders, sleeves, and length and must be
    worn over collared polo or shirt/blouse.
    • May not have hood
    • Logos on shirts must not exceed 2”
    • Must be free from writing or advertisements.
    • Sleeveless or capped sleeve sweatshirts are not allowed.

Color
    Solid single color
    *Sweatshirts/Sweaters/Vests and Pants must be alternating in color

Accessories

Belts

Style
    • Solid color belts without decoration (metal brads, eyelets, sequins, etc) must be
    worn at all times. Wearing belts is encouraged, but not required for Pre-K, K and
    1st grade.
    • Stripes, checks, or other designs on belts are not allowed.
    • Belts must be appropriate size.
    • Belts may not have metal studs, brads or other adornments.
    • Belts may not be wider than belt loops and must be worn inside loops at the
    waist.
    • Must have open style buckle that must be no larger than two inches and must be
    free of adornments.

Shoes

Style
    • All shoes worn must match each other.
    • Flip flops and house shoes not allowed.
    • Laces must match shoes or be white/black in color and must be tied.

Socks/Hosiery

Style
    • Must be worn with slacks, pants or shorts
    • Must be solid in color and matchin

Outerwear/Jackets

Style
    • Coats may be allowed in accordance with appropriate weather conditions.
    • Coats may be worn outside and in hallways during passing periods, but must be
    removed inside classrooms and hung on back of chair or in area designated by
    the teacher.
    • Must be appropriately sized in the shoulders, sleeves and length.
    • Worn over approved dress attire

Jewelry/Accessories

Style
    • Necklaces allowed but tucked under clothing at all times
    • Medallions limited to less than 2” in diameter
    • Rosaries not allowed to be worn as jewelry
    • Piercings allowed for girls only and limited to the ear lobe
    • Caps, hats or any head coverings inside the building are not allowed.
    • Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
    • Mouth grills not permitted

Hair

Style
    • Must be kept neat, clean and reasonably styled and not distracting from the
    learning environment.
    • Hair length must be above the collar for boys.
    • Unnatural hair color not permitted.
    • Shaving of designs in hair or eyebrows not permitted.
    • Hair styles must not obstruct a clear view of the face.
    • Facial hair not permitted
    • No Mohawk style
    • No Feather Hair Extensions

Tattoos

• All tattoos must be covered.

Other Guidelines

• Clothing must be appropriately sized.
    • Wind shorts/pants, athletic shorts/pants, sweat shorts/pants are not allowed
    except as directed by instructor during PE/athletics, cheer, band or drill team
    classes.
    • Clothing items cannot be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation, conceals
    contraband, or creates a distraction.
    • All clothing must be appropriately hemmed, clean and free from holes or tears.
    • Spandex, nylon, and stretch-type materials are not allowed.

Yeah yeah, that's pretty long so the basic is collared shirts, slacks in navy, black, or khaki. Shirts tucked in with a belt. Natural hair color, and shirts and pants must alternate in color.

Since in a couple of months school is starting I was wondering how somebody might try to look good in this type of dress code... It's somewhat flexible Like girls wear overshirts that have collars and under shirts that are T-shirts.

I'm personally thinking some nice combat boots lol. But my closet is somewhat made of glass... Apparently people either know or can tell despite me having only told a couple of people. Anyway, I want to look good in this without looking, you know, too gay. Especially since I have PE this year and the locker rooms weren't too kind to me when I was in middle school.

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Lord that's a strict dress code...
    Combat boots would be good, my school has a dress code and I wear them all the time, and since the socks don't say they have a specific length maybe you could try some knee high socks? They can look really good if you know how to pull them off, but not with combat boots x.x

Not much else to say, it's a very tight dress code, not much wiggle room.

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha! A local area school had a dress code that was almost exactly like ours, more freedom in a couple of areas, more strict in others. But the students practically rioted and cops were called and their dress code was changed. Ours has been this way for at least 5 years

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    0.0 I live in Texas too yet I've never heard of a code that strict, and I've been everywhere xD

5. Yosia

I thought my schools dress code and uniform was bad... XD

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, this sounds about like a private/religious school's dress code. And jeez, your pants and shirt can't be the same color? Um, one thing I usually do with dressy type things with that type of code is wear sweater vests with a tie. That might not be your style, but it usually works for me. Maybe khaki pants, a blue/white polo and a white/blue vest and a matching tie? I dunno XD also, if you have a smartphone, I believe that there is a fashion app called The Hunt, and they have experts on the app that will track down a certain piece of clothing or jewellery you like within dress codes, if you send them a picture of it on a TV show or something. That may be able to help you, too. Anyways, I hope I helped at all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit: I stand corrected. The Hunt is a website I believe.

#6 BryanM, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. RainbowMan

Geez that's a strict dress code for high school!

That being said, my office dress code is about the same (no short sleeve polos, generally, though), but unwritten. I'm the most casual guy on my floor, I think - what I wear to stick within the dress code is khaki slacks, a long sleeve button down shirt (this is where you can be more creative - very few of my shirts are solids, except for a few solid purple and blue shirts. If you're trying to remain discreet, you probably don't want to wear solid purple shirts, though :grin:). Lots of stripes, patterns, etc.

Back in the day when I was in high school, jeans and t-shirts were considered acceptable. My how times have changed....

8. justjade

Whoa! Sounds exactly like the dress code at the Christian school I went to up through 9th grade, except girls could only wear skirts. I say that, if you're allowed to wear any color shirt, experiment with that. Coordinate your jackets/shirts/sweaters in different ways, like complementary colors, analagous color schemes, etc. Study your color wheel. Even if you're not an artist, it'll help you out a lot in everything from making your desk more interesting to making your home and wardrobe more eye-catching. I work at a place where we wear uniforms, and since I have to get my owns pants and shoes, I try to get them in an optimal cut and size and from a good brand.

Look for interesting details, like cable knits, classy buttons, subtle patterns, and luxurious materials like cashmere, silk, and linen. Speaking of buttons, replacing your standard ones with tortoise shell or wood can take a regular shirt up a notch.

Also, this is optional, but I recommend getting brand name sweaters, like Izod. A little logo on the chest adds a touch of class and looks really sharp.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

9. Candace

Um, could this dress code be any more strict? :confused:. I would go with a polo short sleeve for now (since it's Texas in the summer). It says that you should look at what colors go with what. Cool colors and warm colors, so like orange and blue etc. It said that you had to alternate, so...try from there. Like the person above me, you can never go wrong with an Izod, Tommy Hilfiger, or Chaps. The logo is small enough and you can look very classy and comfortable all at once.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This dress code is unethically strict... :confused: I don't know where you go to school to but this is just ridiculous to the point that it seems wrong, and impossible to avoid breaking...

Lol, I don't have any good suggestions, but I just wanted to point that out.

11. PaganPoetry

oh omg that sounds as strict as my school and we had uniforms.....but I would always break the rules by wearing weird and cool socks that no one ever noticed, and I did dye my hair against the rules a lot but no one told me anything (maybe cus I was active in a lot of school clubs or idk)....and I also wore like combat boots...I don't see any rules regarding like backpacks so you might want to find a cool looking backpack, or bag or something.....anyways regardless of whether there was a uniform or not people still suspected me....

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

There is not much you can do, that's a very restrictive dress code. Dress codes are an attempt to crush your spirit and grind away at your individuality and creativity. To counter this try to create something fun at least twice a week. Write a poem or paint something.

13. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You people are saying that this sounds like a private school... Haha! This is a public school district with roughly half the people here on free or reduced lunch prices! They cooperate with the local walmart to stock our dress code. The only "brand name" thing I have is two Calvin Klein shirts. Rest are from either Old Navy or the Gap.

Think is, there was a Supreme Court case in the 60's regarding it because kids wore black wristbands to protest the war and schools wanted them to take them off. Well, everybody seems to have forgotten that ruling or they're creatively interpreting it by saying "You're free to wear what you want so long as it fits in our guidelines"

Well, our dress code has never been enforced to a T, especially at our highschool. People will wear colored jeans that look somewhat like slacks, people will wear T-shirts with a jacket over them, etc. I would love to say that it would be the same next year. But we're getting a few new assistant principals, one from the middle school (which is out of control) who is supposedly pretty strict... Our main principal mostly selectively enforces it though...

14. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you wear glasses? Not sunglasses, but glasses? If you do, maybe it's time to invest in a couple different pairs with different frames. Or maybe do colored contacts or summat. Also a few pairs of shoes in different multicolor designs. If they're multicolor you can change the laces to any of the accompanying colors. Just from what I've read. Your school's dress code is, terrible, I hope things work out!