1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AnnaK, Jul 15, 2014.

1. AnnaK

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The new series is set to air on August 23 (I believe). I'm not a big fan of Clara, but have high hopes for Capaldi. Also, the trailer included the humanoid Sherlock-type character, Madame Vastra, who happens to be married to her female human sidekick, a pair I'd love to see featured more in the series.

Any Whovians on here have thoughts/predictions on the direction of the show?

2. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would love to see Strax finally being able to throw grenades at people. :grin:

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Vastra, Jenny and Strax need their own show.

As for the trailer it looks promising, some old enemies and plenty of new ones. I can't wait to see what an "old" doctor brings to the revamped series.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't really like Clara either but I'm excited to see what 12 is like.

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read somewhere that Capaldi was going to be a "darker" doctor, and I really hope that's the case! Ecclestone was arguably my favourite doctor in terms of his character, as I loved the ambiguity of the doctor's moral decisions in the time war and his personality afterwards, especially in the episode "Dalek". It gave the doctor's character a really edgy and bittersweet feel, and I love the doctor to have a darker side which gets an airing every few episodes (not that Tennant and Smith didn't have that, but I think Ecclestone's doctor showed it most clearly). Now that they've kind of taken the sting out of the doctor's past in the 50th anniversary (it may be just me but I thought that ending was a little too hollywood), I'm hoping that they re-emphasise the fact that the doctor doesn't have a perfect record, and there've been decisions he's made he regrets and people out there he couldn't save. And from the trailer it seems like they might be going that route. So in short, I am interested to see what Capaldi can do with it.

However, I'm also not a Clara fan...

#5 sam the man, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  6. I hate Clara and I blame Moffat. The female characters in the show have been getting less and less in the way of personality and individuality over the last few seasons. The show's plot lines have been going downhill as well. I feel like after Tennant left the show, it became so much less. Though I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor, I just felt like he didn't have much to go on for a lot of it.

I have some hope for Capaldi, since he seems like a cool guy and also because he's older so it will be less likely to have weird sexual tension between the Doctor and the unfortunate Clara. Maybe Jenna Coleman will have better writing to work with in that case!

At any rate, I'm much less excited about the show than I used to be. But I'll still watch it to see if it goes back to how good it was.

7. newfish

I thought Clara was extremely boring until the last episode of Season 7, although she still followed a lot of Moffat's poor writing for female character. I would like to see Capaldi as the doctor, although it felt like Matt Smith was a good Doctor who was more poorly written than Eccleston or Tennant, so I hope the same thing doesn't happen with him. Overall I wasn't a Season 7 fan. I hated Crimson Horror, didn't like Rings of Akhaten or Cold War at all, and didn't like Name of the Doctor all that much. Doctor Who will always have some problems, but it seems like every episode has more of them with Moffat.

Also, I REALLY don't like Strax, Vastra, or Jenny after the episodes they were introduced in. I won't go into details because almost everyone else I've found disagrees with me.

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2014 at 02:11 AM ----------

Totally agree! Donna was my favorite companion, and part of it was the break from the obvious falls in love with the Doctor idea.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I can't stand Moffat's writing either. I feel like the quality of the show has gone down a lot since he took over. My favorite doctor was 10 but I liked 9 a lot too, and I liked Donna and Rose the best as companions. It seems to me like most of the female characters from Moffat's "reign" over the show have really similar personalities, and they're pretty one-dimensional characters. Hopefully that changes soon.

Also I'm really sick of every companion having feelings for the Doctor.

9. kem

kem

I'm tired of the romantic plotlines as well, but I like the writing in general. I'm not sure if Moffat just throws ideas everywhere and tries to tie them up later or if he really knew what he was going to do all along. In either case, it hasn't been bad by any means.

I've liked all the doctors since the relaunch, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all had their take on the doctor, and I'm really excited to see what Capaldi will be like.

10. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's good when sometimes one episode has all its trouble, the attack or something,, ended with something emotional. Like.... Well, the family of blood thing, for example. Or the god complex. I suck at examples :grin: But, please, every single companion falls in love with the Doctor?? Really?? Ugh. I mean, I understand that when he just drops out of - somewhere, tears the girl out of her miserable life and saves her, it becomes something meaningful for her. Yes. But they don't have to fall in love, do they... It was maybe cool with one or two, but with every single on of them(except Donna, which I find really cool)? No.

Gotta admit, though, it has brought some lines to the show that I can't help but remember and love.... Like that with River and Rory..... "Imagine what that does to a girl." "I don't really have to." It was such a sad moment to me, at least. The way everyone just knew what he was talking about.... Awww :frowning2:

11. Dented

I'll watch it just to see what Peter Capaldi's like, but after the last couple of series, I really don't have particularly high expectations for it at all.

12. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I totally agree, we need more of a Martha and Donna combined sort of character.

I really do hope it gets a bit darker in a way and Capaldi is not as childish as Matt Smith was.

13. Empress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've watched the leak. I won't spoil anything but I quite liked Capaldi. I think he's better than Matt Smith.

14. Candace

My cousins in South Florida are about the biggest fans of this show possible and are nudging me to watch it. I might now :slight_smile:.

15. whereamigoing

I think capaldi will be the start of a series of darker doctors. I'm not a huge fan of clara but she's. not absolutely horrid. I'm hoping to see more characters introduced and for a few old characters to make cameos (captain jack!) Also i want the eleventh doctors sonic. to break or get lost so i can buy a new peice of memorobilia. i also want a new darker tardis design. plus im hoping for the doctor to offer caramels to people in 4th doctor style.

16. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love the Doctor and I hope this new one will be worthy of the others doctors.
    Do you know that someone had solen the first episode of the season 8 and posted it on the Internet?
    Before pirate it, think that's uncomplete and balck and white :dry:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm upset that the new doctor isn't nearly as hot as the 9th, 10th, and 11th. David Tennant was the cutest of course, but I'd rather go out with 11, he's so much fun.

18. kem

kem

Haha, I might have a thing for older men, but Capaldi is so good-looking, I think he looks better than the 9th and 10th!

19. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like Clara / Jenna Coleman. I'm biased though, because I just can't help thinking she's kinda cute.

Not excited at all about Capaldi. I didn't like Matt Smith either, but I'd definitely prefer it to be someone younger so I was disappointed in the choice. Maybe he'll prove me wrong...I hope so, because I've always loved the rebooted Doctor Who and I want to continue in that mindset.

20. WearyWanderer

Weeeell, 10th is pushing it. :wink: But I agree, Capaldi is very good-looking.

So excited for the new series! :grin: