1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by silentsound, Sep 1, 2008.

1. silentsound

I am running Firefox and I know how to clear my history, but how can I clear it guessing the website I want to type in. It used to be that EC just popped up when I typed www.e, now it comes up along with facebook and my blog and other sites I visit all the time when I type www., and I don't need my mom (who uses my computer from time to time) finding anything out that I don't need her to know. So...help?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The best thing would be to set up different user accounts in Windows for you and mum, and put a password on yours. Then remember to log out when you've finished, and set the screensaver to return to the login screen so it goes there automatically if the system isn't being used. That would protect your privacy with all software (such as MSN), not just Firefox.

If you just want to do it in Firefox, go to "Tools", "Options" then "Privacy". Untick all three boxes in the "History" section. Make sure "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" is ticked, then click "Settings..." and make sure "Browsing History" is ticked. It's probably best to tick all of them. Hopefully that will do it.

Those instructions are for Firefox 3. Firefox 2 may be slightly different but it's the same general area.

3. HalfInsane

Edit: Aww, I've been beaten.

#3 HalfInsane, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Corny

Corny Guest

extra hint:
    you can press ctrl+shift+delete while in firefox to quickly clear private data :slight_smile:

but i am not sure, if that is your problem since you said that you know how to clean the history.
    firefox 3 has a new "location" bar, which also guesses where you want to go when starting to enter an URL. for that it searches not only the history, but also bookmarks. maybe you have bookmarked EC in some folder and forgot about it? when it's showing a little yellow star at the right end of the location bar, the website is bookmarked.

5. -Michael-

if you want to select certain websites to delete from the address bar...

just scroll down to the one you want to delete and press delete...

same witht eh search bar.

6. smartguy

gah
    how did i not know that. thats really helpful for when friends use the computer

7. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Holy crap... that's genius!