1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DBunny, Jul 26, 2014.

1. DBunny

A mild country rant.

Anyone hear the song "I'm still a guy"?
    Anyone else think that song has some of the most the most stereotypical bs they've ever heard?
    Maybe i'ts just me, but country music needs a little more diversity than what I've been hearing. I'm sure there's more out there than, super manly guy drools over super hot girl, beer, trucks and cheating.
    I'd really like to hear a country song that has a little more to it than that. Maybe the characters could be gay or a lesbian, maybe they could come from a different background, maybe they have different views on people and society, maybe they have a different religion, you hear a lot about Christianity but not much else.
    What do you think?

2. Kat 5

I heard that once, and it was on a karioke machine. I didn't make much note of it.

3. Sabot Kitty

Country consistently capitalizes on conservative culture, but it's capable of correction through courageous creators countering its confined contents.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Country music tends to follow a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Those who step outside the normal topics, tend to drift over into the Pop realm.

And Sabot, is that a tongue twister? I haven't seen that many C's, since my 4th grade report card! LOL!

5. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Check out the ladies in country music, they're doing better stuff... Or Hunter Hayes. Even country artists are sick of all the bro country on the radio lately. Sheryl Crow, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler and a few more artists who I can't think of right now have even spoken up about it.

ANYWAY... You should check out these three ladies:

Maddie and Tae - Check out their first single, "Girl In A Country Song". While they don't mention names, they make references to popular bro country songs so you know who they're talking about.
    [YOUTUBE]_MOavH-Eivw[/YOUTUBE]

Kacey Musgraves - She's just awesome. "Follow Your Arrow" mentions girls kissing girls and drugs, pretty cool and open-minded for country music~
    [YOUTUBE]kQ8xqyoZXCc[/YOUTUBE]

And there's Steve Grand and Chely Wright who are both openly gay, but neither are extremely popular...

6. surrah

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just like with a lot of popular music hits, it's a song that a lot of people like so it's broad and bland. Living in the south, it seems like country music becomes popular because it's catchy/fun to sing along with your friends while you're drinking, period. There are still a lot of great country musicians to look up to both currently and from the past. Just like with any genre of music, you've got a shallow end, a deep end and also everything in between!

7. Sabot Kitty

Haha, I decided to make my post alliterative when I realized how many hard-c sounds there was in my post by coincidence... =)

Also acciocarrie has some good recommendations! :3

8. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I love Kacey Musgraves! She is just what country needs! "Merry Go Round" is another great song.

9. Candace

I really hate that song too. I'm so glad that you brought it up. It kills me that that's all my mom listens to and I have to have it played every single day :bang:. I'd be happy if they produced one, just one country song where they said "and gays/lesbians are alright with us, because God loves all of his children" or something of that latter. :dry:.

On a side note, the only country star that I truly is Carrie Underwood, even more so when she said that she supported gays :grin: (!).

10. Midknight96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love Carrie Underwood. Her voice is beautiful. Though I tend to listen to Johnny Cash more.