1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catfish: The TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LifeAsWeKnowIt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey so I've no idea if a thread has already been made about this but I couldn't find any so hey! Anyway, Catfish is easily one of my favourite TV shows, and I was just wondering if anyone else likes it, or to get your opinions anyway? Do you guys think it's all a set up? Also, I guess it's relevant here because I've noticed how a large percentage of the participants of the show are gay/queer. Do you think this is because queer kids find it much easier and are more comfortable communicating online/on the other side, do queer people catfish others because they're in denial or uncomfortable with themselves? Anyway, I'll shut up now, but I'd love to hear what you guys think!

(!)

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a couple of other threads that have been made about it, but nothing recently.

I used to watch it a little bit with my bf, but never followed it.
    The participant stories are real, but they have to sign a contract prior to the filming (I think), so they already know about it.

As far as the number of queer people go, I really don't think the show is representative of the general population. Maybe they get more LGBT applicants or something, but I know there are plenty of straight Catfishers out there. :wink:

An entertaining show I think. :slight_smile:

3. JustJJx

CATFISH! Wow, what a great show, i can relate to it too as i had a long distance relationship with a yank last year!
    It's better than most reality shows for LGBTQ representation, I've seen numerous episodes with gay men, lesbians and trans people on it...not enough but better than nothing!

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's an awesome show!! I usually forget to watch it, as I rarely watch television, but I always watch it when it's on. :icon_bigg

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a fan of Catfish as well, especially because I do a lot of online dating. I was actually surprised how many people were being catfished. Before the show existed, my brother was actually catfished, so I can understand how heartbreaking it is to find out you've been lied to.

So, the show helps me weed out the crazies online because I think it is really silly for someone to pretend to be someone else. I'm not the most confident person in the world, but I'd never pretend to be someone else :confused:

6. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I accidentally happened upon this show recently (they show the US version in the UK).

I find it's sort of both entertaining and cringeworthy at the same time. As in, I sometimes wonder if I'm a bad person for finding it entertaining, because usually it's obvious that the person is being lied to and manipulated and so it feels a little exploitative to use someone else's real-life misfortune and heartbreak as my personal entertainment. But, I guess they know what they're signing up for, so they can't really have any complaints...

It's nice when it all works out and there's a happy ending. :slight_smile: