1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Helen out with her music homework!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Helen, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

Basically, I have to listen to 10 pieces of classical music that I've never heard of before (preferably no more than about 5 minutes long >.<) and then write a paragraph about each. Thing is, most pieces of classical music that I hear are ones that I'm learning how to play, which isn't helpful. And I dunno, I just seem to find it really difficult to just THINK of pieces.

So could you recommend some lovely (but short :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) pieces of classical music, so I can seek them out on youtube and then write about them? ^_^

I'll love you all forever and ever if you do :slight_smile:

2. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which period of music are you wanting music from, or are you looking for music from the Classical Period?

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Yeah, my teacher is really nitpicky about that, preferably the Classical period, but I think I can get away with a few things from the romantic period as well.

4. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will try and give suggestions only for the Classical Period. Please take into consideration that I haven't studied music since I finished high school two years ago. I also don't know what you already know but here goes.

Dies Irae from Mozart's Requeim in D Minor (K626)
    2nd Movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 (assuming you can do an individual movement - it's way different to the first)
    Madamina from Don Giovanni (Act 1) by Mozart
    one of the movements from Haydn's Symphony No. 94 ("Surprise")

I can't really think of many more (it's been way too long since I did music). However, if you stick to Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, you should be fine with the Classical Period. You may (or may not) also get away with something by Franz Schubert (I think he is Romantic Period though - from memory he is a little later than Beethoven), in which case I would suggest something like Erlkönig, Die Forelle or the 4th movement of Piano Quintet in A Major ("Trout") (it is based on Die Forelle in theme and variations form).

Good luck!

5. Noah

Definitely try Haydn's surprise symphony, and Dies Irae is beautiful.....

6. Endlessnight500

Try Looking on 8notes.com Its got alot of music. Not only does it to listen to, but it also has the sheet music, and its Free.

7. Level N Human

Badinerie - Bach?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M[/YOUTUBE]

I'm at a less when it comes to classical music. I don't know if this is form the right era, but I like it a lot. :grin:...

8. Helen

Helen Guest

That's actually baroque, and I don't think it's allowed :frowning2: Also, I've heard it before, so I can't use it anyway.

Thanks anyway though ^_^