1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite books that you bet none of us have ever read.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wuggums47, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Hi, I know there have probably been a lot of threads asking for favorite books, but in this thread I'm looking for answers from books that most people haven't heard of.

My favorite uncommon book would be She Drove Without Stopping by Jaimy Gordon. The book is about a girl with an Electra complex, and an abusive father. It's not just about her childhood, but her whole life. I would definitely consider it a feminist book, Phillip Turner represents all of the opressive men out there in my opinion. The book was very disturbing, but it helped me work through some stuff and decide to stop talking to my father.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Men like gods by H.G.Wells.
    It's about a group of humans that somehow can enter another dimension. There the humans are like gods to them cause they're beautiful, peaceful and also got very advanced technology. So yea, the humans are very thrilled about them first but later on they are trying to force them to adopt human culture and behavior with somewhat brutal methods.
    So the book shows that humans won't ever change their brutal attitude and behavior although there are a few that are not. And also that peace is impossible when humans are existing. That's at least the way I understood it.

3. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've read a lot of strange books. One of the less read is the Apokolokyntosis by Seneca (I guess), is so funny. It speaks about the death of the Empereor Claudius and his adventures in the underworld, Seneca hated him and so got revenge by mocking him.

4. PICollins91

My favorite author is a pulp writer Jim Thompson who despite really turning the genre on it's ear giving it a sense of psychological depth and even a little horror (Stephen King has cited him as a favorite before) has fallen into obscurity in the United States. I would say this is not only my top three books by him but top three favorite books of all time.

"After Dark, My Sweet" (1955)
    An ex-boxer with mental problems gets caught up in a kidnapping scheme with an alcoholic widow and a manipulative ex-cop. Fairly breezy noir due to it's relatively short length and like most of Thompson's work does something new with the genre due to it having more of a psychological thriller approach to the genre.

"The Killer Inside Me" (1952)
    A first-person story set in a small Texas boom town about a Sheriff's deputy who leads a double life as a homicidal killer. Stanley Kubrick called it "Probably the most chilling and believable first-person story of a criminally warped mind I have ever encountered."

"The Getaway" (1957)
    While I'd say 80% of it is inferior to Sam Peckinpah's classic adaptation which added some heart to the main characters and the best shoot-out ever filmed (IMO) as a climax. The ending which was left of from the more upbeat and less nihilistic film version is the best I've ever read, a nightmarish turn of events that changes the book into a horror story with the main couple stranded in what they thought would be a safe haven but turns out be a sort of literal hell on Earth. Granted it's odd to pick a book I would say up until the last chapter minus a few exceptional ones I consider inferior to to the film adaptation but that ending is truly out-of-nowhere.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Piers Anthony~ Castle Roogna.

[​IMG]

He's pretty popular, but honestly I don't find a lot of Anthony fans. Plus this book was frickin' weird, really out-there pop fantasy. And it did involve a giant talking spider who was a good guy (pictured above).

Holy crap. In googling for that picture, I found out that the fantasy realm the castle is located in, Xanth, is almost a direct doppelganger of Florida.

#5 Argentwing, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. Daroga

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Love love love "The Phantom of The Opera"! I'm also a huge "Divergent" fan. I quite liked "The Hot Zone", but it's a bite gory and probably not for everyone! xD

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

[​IMG]

Basically, it's a novel set during the fall of the Han Dynasty, and the rise of the Three Kingdoms era in China. The three kingdoms are Shu, led by Liu Bei, Wu, led by the Sun family, and Wei, led by Cao Cao (or T'sao T'sao, for you purists). It is a romanticized account of the actual historical period; a few incidents are reassigned to others, some liberties are taken, and it has a slight bend towards Shu, as it was written by a pro-Shu individual.

The novel, despite all of this, is what introduced me to the Three Kingdoms era of China. All throughout the book, concepts such as brotherhood, marriage, loyalty and betrayal, strategy and psychology, politics and social realities, are explored and executed. It covers from the collapsing of the Han until the end of the Three Kingdoms. What makes this story all the more interesting is, just like in history, none of the Three Kingdoms actually won. A separatist movement, inside Wei, which would found the Jin Dynasty, were the victors. So, it ends on a somewhat realistic sad note. It still doesn't change the entertainment value of the book.

An easier crash course into this book, is to play the game series it spawned: Dynasty Warriors. It was this game series that got me into the book.

Who says video games can't teach you anything?

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

For when you want to spend so much time thinking about what being "self-aware" means that you end up a lot more confused than when you started.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You beat me to it. I was gonna say "Haven't read it, but know of it because of Dynasty Warriors" XD. I want to read it, but it's so daunting as to be inaccessible. The thing is like a mile long! I could never keep track of what's going on.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I had played the games, quite a bit, so I could put faces to some names. This makes it much, much easier. I don't know what I'd have done, if I dove in head first, with no prior preparation! Though, after about 50 pages, the names begin to die down, and everything settles. New characters are introduced, with a less intimidating scroll of text, so it eases up.

Honestly, though, unless you're up for the challenge, I'd suggest playing the games first. Get to know some of the names and faces, and apply it to the book. Dynasty Warriors 7 does a pretty fantastic job, of presenting the story, even if there are a few problems with the game itself. Nothing mechanics-wise, just content.

11. Candace

1. Great White Fathers by John Taliaferro-- the biography of Gutzum Borglum, the guy who carved Mt. Rushmore and Stone Mountain in Georgia.

2. The Laments by George Hagen :grin:

3. A Twist of Lemmon-- the biography of renown actor Jack Lemmon :slight_smile:

12. SomeLeviathan

Hegel's Philosophy of Right.

Not that I necessarily agree with Hegel, but he's interesting and that is one of the lesser known Hegel texts

13. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. I also like a lot of his other books too.

14. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I've watched the movie and I really liked it, I'm going to search for the book:icon_bigg​

15. OneProblem

Saskatchewan ____________________ eheh get it? ;D
    There is this book called Deadline by Chris Crutcher. I read it in grade 9 and fell in love with it but sadly my teacher wouldn't let me have it on the way out of the school so now I need to buy it online or find my own copy. Not a very well known book so that'll be pretty hard
    I'm guessing.

[​IMG]

16. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Call of Cthulu and other weird stories - H.P. Lovecraft

17. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Miss Peragrins Home For Peculiar Children.
    Basically, it's about a kid who's grandfather told him all about these kids who were "peculiar", everyone thought the grandfather was bat-shit-crazy for telling all those story's, later on in the book he finds the peculiar children and a lot of hard to explain stuff happens, very interesting book if you ask me.​

18. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I read it, I like Lovecraft, it's quite distressing but it's fantastic.

19. sammy1

"The brain that changes itself" by Dr. Robert doidge I believe and "the god delusion" by prof. Richard Dawkins are my 2 fav books, I love anything to do with science! :grin:

20. PortugueseNaya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

The Perks Of Being An Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The book is about a emotionally sensitive, 15-year-old boy named Charlie. He had two traumatic experiences from his past: the suicide of his only middle-school friend, Michael, a year before, as well as the death of his favorite aunt, Helen, during his early childhood.
    Later he starts two friendships: Patrick and Sam. Patrick is a gay tennager who has a case with a closeted football player, Brad, in secret. Sam is Patrick's step-sister and Charlie develop a crush on her.
    Later we found out that Charlies' aunt abused him during him childhood.

It's a great book,and i really can relate myself in this book.

In 2012 there was a film adaptation (wich is my favorite movie too) with Logan Lerman, Emma Watson (my celebraty crush) and Ezra Miller:
    [​IMG]