1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagine | John Lennon

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mangotree, Aug 10, 2014.

1. mangotree

Imagine | John Lennon
    "Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace..."

What do you imagine this world would look like?
    What do you think would have to happen to make a world like this exist?

Also, do you like this song?
    And everyone seems to have an opinion about John Lennon himself, what's yours?

I know there are more verses to the song, but I think this one is the most mind blowing / profound / exciting. Plus, including the others would make the replies too long lol.

Peace! (*hug*)

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It'd be idealistic communism, I assume. You know, the on-paper kind, as opposed to what it typically becomes instead.

That said, I do like this song. As for Lennon, he's all right. I think, Yoko is where he gets a lot of his hate from.

3. Candace

I LOVE THIS SONG! And the Beatles in general.

Sincerely, a lifetime Beatles fan :grin:.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a beautiful piece of art, but as a political message, nah. I don't like his idea of a hippie utopia.

I love the Beatles as a group though.

5. mangotree

Me too :slight_smile:
    I think they'll always have fans in every generation.

6. Candace

Well it's because it's ridden of autotone, trashy and corny lyrics, something explicit, etc.

In other words, it's just really good music, with very relatable themes regardless of generation. Also it helps that my dad is a 60s/70s music junkie. That's all I listened to while growing up. :slight_smile:

7. Budweiser

One look through history tells us that Communism is one of the worst systems. Capitalism has been proven to work the best, even though yes some people do get left behind the world can't be perfect.

Communism would work out fine if we were all robots and had no human instincts or desires, but sadly, we are flesh and blood.. so a system like that could never work.

I obviously never met John Lennon, but going from what Iv'e heard about him he was someone who condoned dangerous ideas (such as Communism) and beat women. So... love The Beatles, wish I knew a little bit less about them.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to like him; I really do. But for someone who said "imagine no possession" he sure had a fuckload of money and possessions. I can't judge too harshly because he died before I was born and I have no idea how he really was. But I don't like the impression I get of him.

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the song imagine tells us how terrible John Lennon's imagination was. Instead of coming up with Lord of the Rings or Batman, all he imagined was religious intolerance

10. Budweiser

I know, right? But, if we disliked every celebrity just because they were horrible people, we wouldn't like any of them! (except for Ellen DeGeneres! Woo! and Tom Hanks! (never heard a bad thing about those two ^^ and Morgan Freemen :slight_smile: there are some good ones out there lol

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

^yes

11. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also find it rather hypocritical that he rallied for "no possessions" and had a massive fur coat collection. In terms of what he was capable of with his own songwriting I find this one in particular to be fairly lazy I mean compared to something like "A Day in the Life" it falls completely on it's face. It's the most beige song he ever recorded.

As for the man himself I also don't particularly like him, alienating his son and treating his wife terribly all with a horrible messiah complex.

That said I do like the Beatles, they used to be my favourite band and I was borderline obsessive over them, but then I just kinda moved on to other things still throw on something by them once in awhile. Especially because good ol' George is one of my favourite people ever.

12. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    The lack of religion does not equal religious intolerance.

Most of the world's major religions, are actually officially intolerant of each other. Yeah, you may be tolerant of other religions, as a person, but the official stance of the church is usually "the others are wrong".

All of today's major religions are extremely outdated and hypocritical. That's an undeniable fact.

Please realise I am not calling religion a bad thing, just most of today's organised religions.

13. Luchel

Luchel Guest

People say that this song has a too simple melody and boring harmony, but honestly, I don't care.

It's one of the most inspiring songs I've ever heard and it has a message that is so beautiful that I don't care about the melodies. I even like it, but it's the last important thing.

McCartney is my favorite beatle, but Lennon has this sensibility that can't compare.

14. BornAnew

An incredible song :slight_smile: . One of the best ever for sure.

Gosh this was the kind that could change the world :slight_smile:

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those people have a lousy taste in music. The song wasn't supposed to be dubstep; it was supposed to convey a message through the words and a state of mind with the notes. Those things it accomplished admirably.

Compare it to "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield. Similarly designed simple song, and equally as powerful.