1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTV VMA's

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BeautifulStranger, Sep 8, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

Okay, so I just watched them because they air one day later in Germany...

First off, let me express how pissed I am that Tokio Hotel won best new artist. That award freaking should have gone to Katy Perry!! Has anyone besides me actually listened to her whole CD? Her songs like 'Thinking of You' and 'One of the Boys' are absolutely amazing. But no, they give it to those people. And even more ridiculous is the fact that they won for best new artist. They aren't new... They're new in the US, and they're only in the US because they're old news in Germany and everyone here hates them... It's only a matter of time until America feels the same about them.

Secondly, what the heck was with Kim Stolz acting like a heterosexual? Okay, so maybe MTV wanted her to tone down her sexuality as part of her contract. But everyone knows she was the fierce lesbian from season 5 of Top Model. C'mon Kim, I thought you had pride?

Thirdly, how come I had to sit through Lil'Wayne performing like 5 times, but I only got to see Katy Perry or The Ting Tings perform for like 5 seconds? That is crap.

MTV messed up big time this year. BIG time.

2. Étoile

The VMAs was a complete waste of time. Taylor Swift, Michael Phelps, that guy that was with Shia LeBeouf and Lindsey Lohan struggled with the teleprompter, even though I find Michael Phelps absolutely adorable. From what I saw, the performaces were awful; even one of my favorite artist ever Rihanna did bad. Everyone looked either bored, annoyed, or nervous. The 'Twilight' cast looked like they were forced to come or they'd be fired. I got so bored, I turned to Clean House. The host didn't mesh well at all and he seemed to make the audience so uncomfortable.

At least all the recent VMAs felt like a bad awards show. This just seemed like a horrible MTV special.

3. BeautifulStranger

I'm tired of people with hype getting focused on
    I like Lil'Wayne's music... I honestly do... but I don't think he has nearly as much talent as someone like Leona Lewis or Jordin Sparks.
    Music needs to be about talent again, not image. Where was my girl Jennifer Hudson? Now she has talent.
    The most exciting part of the evening was watching X-tina perform. She is a goddess.

4. sexyalex

first of all, Jorin Sparks won't be singing for a long time. She recently did surgry on her vocal cords cuz she bursed not one or 2 but 3 of them. PLUS, i think she is too much of a R&B screamer i mean what the heck is up with that. EVERYBODY knows only Mariah Carey can scream in her songs so Ms. Sparks need to have a back seat for now andd get some propper voice training and COME back again. Secondly, u are right about Leona Lweis and its sad i never saw her perform at the VMAs.

ANyhow, to comment to ur first statement; its not what u think or who u think should get the award, its who u hella vote for. I love Perry too but if u don't vote, and i mean vote! u can't complain.

sounds weird but did u know i sat for 4 hours one day and voted for Britney over and over and over again. Just kept erasing cookies and went back at it. Cuz i love britney like dat.

5. Malchik89

You really can't compare lil wayne with either of them though, its mtv they needed at least one solid rap performance. And i thought he did really well especially when TPain came out and they did "Got Money", Leonis Lewis annoys me, she's like an alycia keys wannabe. And i agree with you i so thought katy perry should have won, her album is amazing, i would say "Fingerprints" is my fav. But yeah i mean thought she didn't get a full performance she sounded amazing. I thought Rihanna did well, she just sounds different live than in studio (though few artists don't). I personally think Miley Cyrus and THe Jonas Brothers should stick with the kids choice awards. And of course there are teleprompter and other technical flaws, its the VMA's not the Grammy's. Though i voted for Chris Brown to win best dancing in the video, damn pussycat dolls.

6. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I LOVE TOKIO HOTEL THEYRE SO HOT AND CUTE AND THEY ROCK BIG TIME.

Britney's HACK was terrible. Ok one award. Two, meh ok. But THREE???.

Geez.
    I loved Christina's new look. She looks GORGEOUS with the very blond straight hair. I feel like she was able to put the best of her Stripped, B2B and Reflection looks.

I love kim. Yeah she was too calmed down. But heck I love her.

7. Corny

Corny Guest

What did you expect? It's main stream music business. If you love music - stay far away from it. It's not about the music :wink:

8. Andrew

Christina did look AMAZING. The awards sucked.. So badly this year. :frowning2:. Tokio Hotel shouldn't of won that award. The Ting Tings should of gotten it. I love their music and I am a HUGE fan of them. :slight_smile: Sadly, MTV throws this opportunity in the garbage..

The host was a little bit wild. I loved his accent, but like you guys said.. He didn't mix in very well. :/

-Luis

9. Jerr

This year's VMA's were ok because of the host.

the Little Wayne thing was awful to watch but completely worth it when the host kept making comments about him and masturbating on stage and all the others. It was amazing. I liked his comments about the J. Brothers as well... mainly because I've been saying the same things with those promise rings... haha

I was PISSED when Fanny Pak didn't perform... GAH!!! I mean come on! Fanny Pak is AMAZING (and honestly the only reason I watched the VMA's...)

Oh well.

I thought the whole Miley playing rock band was amusing. Pink's performance was pretty nifty. A few funny things...

The host made jokes that had me laughing at random points. (Helped cure the anger...)

All and all... meh, but I'm glad I watched it.

p.s. the host was on Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

10. BeautifulStranger

I know about Jordin Sparks' vocal stuff. I met her at the Hardrock Cafe in Berlin and we talked about it. And it's not screaming... it's called belting, and I think Jordin Sparks does a hella good job at belting.
    And Leona did perform... for about 20 seconds. Then we had to sit through 5 more minutes of more rappers saying things I can't understand.
    As for the voting comment, I did. I didn't sit for four hours but I voted multiple times a day.
    The only talent I really saw there was Xtina. Yeah, Rhianna has a great voice, but she really dropped the ball, and it made me really sad. P!nk was good, but I've seen her do better. And I really hate to say it, but Kanye could have and should have done 100x better than he actually did.
    As for the PCD's winning for best dance video... I love them. So much. They are so hot and super fierce, but c'mon. It was 'Buttons', which they won with last year, all over again. Take your clothes off and you win... It's predictable.

I'd just really like to see some talent get recognition.
    Like, how many of you know about Jennifer Hudson's song 'All Dressed Up in Love'? She recorded it for the 'Sex and the City' movie (which she did fabulous in) and that song reeks of talent. Plus, it's very catchy and cute, which is what the music industry likes nowadays.

11. Malchik89

Yeah i love the pussycat dolls too, i just have a bias in this cuz im kind of in love with Chris Brown lol however, i AM glad that they beat Danity Kane (uber PCD wannabes). It just surprises me cuz ive seen the buttons video so many times and the cheoreography is amazing and they do get like half naked obviously, but idk "When I Grow Up" didn't seem to have as much of their stuff has they usually do in their Music Vids. Oh yeah and on the topic of jordin sparks, i have her song "One Step at a Time" stuck in my head xD

12. BeautifulStranger

I haven't met any celebrities... only her actually... but she is sooo nice. I love Jordin Sparks.

13. lodiug

I found the host really terrible and damn annoying!
    Leona Lewis should've performed more then 20 seconds instead of that Lil' Wayne creep who performed twice which is way too much!
    The Jonas Brothers are so eww......just like Miley!
    I liked Rihanna's performance with T.I. but I think she totally murdered Disturbia.
    P!nk really rocks!!! I LOVE YOU!!!
    I also thought that Katy Perry would win best new artist instead of Tokio Hotel who's lead singer is creepy....

Hmmmm.....Cristina Aguilera was really sexy. You would've never guessed that she has a baby!
    Oh yeah and I'm happy that the Pussycat Dolls won best dance video.....damn their moves are so tight!!
    Kanye's song was so stupid!! As a matter of fact I can't stand him at all!!

14. Quitex

Quitex Guest

YAY a believer!!! *makes out*

15. lodiug

:kiss:

16. sexyalex

totally! I am gonna find that song on iTunes right now lol.

BTW I voted allot for PCD too. In fact if u check my PCD.com fan page ashley commented on it ^^. She is one of the few dolls who ever talk to her fans. My favourite doll is never on. Melody FTW.

Plus When I Grow Up is my theme song and everybody knows that xDD

17. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i waznt 2 happy bou tokio hotel getting best new artist either, i lyk dem bt katy pr the ting tings shud have won! bt i lyked the host, kinda, he had funny moments, i tnk danity kane shud have won best dance vid, luv pcd bt dk waz better!!! pinks pefromance waz absolutely amazing, shes my favorite artist, and luv evry tng she does!!! ive seen alot shows with rihanna performing live, and normally shes rly gr8, bt i didnt lyk wen she sang disturbia, and i luv tht song, bt it juz didnt wrk sumhw!!! and idk y evry ones hatin on weezy, i thot he did rly gud!!!!anyways, the best part of the night waz britney spears winning 3moonmen, although i wish she wud have performed!!!

oh and they shud have gave the jonas brothers the small performance, and given katy perry and the ting tings bigger ones! it pissed me off!!

18. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    christina waz amazing 2!!! i left tht out lol!!!

19. Andrew

Fanny Pack did perform.. But for the pre-show and once again they were AMAZING.

I love Fanny Pack. I am going to get tickets to see them on TOUR. Just for them <3 haha.

btw is it me or all 3 of the guys gay/bi?

-Luis

20. JayC

JayC Guest

MTVs VMAs

ok i watched the VMAs and i even recorded it. Did anyone else feel that Brittany Spears hould have performed. I mean she did get 3 VMAs and Piece of Me is a great song i know but i would have loved to seen her perform! Also, what do u all think of Katy Perry's dress? i personally thought it was cool bcuz it shows who she is she isnt one of the crowd she is her own person.