1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any LGBTQ movie, TV show, book, or music suggestions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ThePrideInside4, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ThePrideInside4

I notice that books about LGBTQ are very rare in my area. I found 1 book. It's called Raising my Rainbow by Lori Duron. I recommend it. I really wish I could get more involved in the LGBTQ community. And watching movies and TV shows, reading books, and listening to music might help A LOT. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's 3 stickies for all that kind of entertainment in this board. :wink:

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dante and Aristotle Discover the Secrets of the Universe is a really cute book about two guys, although, there was one line I sort of... paused at.

If you go on goodreads.com, you can see more books. They have an entire category for LGBT books. : )

Jay Brannan is an artist who writes LGBT songs. My favorites are Rob Me Blind and The Spanglish song.

4. Candace

Priscilla Queen of the Desert is my favorite LGBTQ movie, to be honest. I've seen it 5-6 times. Nice interesting story line, a lot of action and stuff, and cool Aussie accents :grin:.

5. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

"Shelter" (2007 movie) is definitely my favourite LGBTQ movie. I've watched it several times. I'm sure you'll love it if you watch it. :icon_wink

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:00 AM ----------

There's also a singer called Eli Lieb who sings LGBTQ songs and makes covers. I recommend you listen to his last single: "Zeppelin". His video clips are awesome too.

6. tulipinacup

I always recommend Prayers for Bobby for a good-feel movie.

7. Minnie

I Love You Phillip Morris, Behind the Candelabra, Any Day Now.

8. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

A book you could read is "De profundis" by Oscar Wilde. It's an epistle to Lord Alfred Douglas (the presumed Wilde's lover). He wrote it while he was in prison.

9. xplodingpassion

Mysterious Skin, Milk, Behind the Candlelabra, I Love You Phillip Morris, Bad Education, Blue is the Warmest Color, TransAmerica, Chasing Amy, Dog Day Afternoon

10. flowerpot14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But I'm a Cheerleader is a lot of fun too.

11. dman89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Summerstorm is a good one. It's in German but there are English subtitles

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I second But I'm A Cheerleader; I always recommend that one because it's really funny and sweet

13. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

Yeah. That's a good movie. Very advisable.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

Another great German movie is Freier Fall. It was released in 2013. You can find it with English subtitles.

14. Tegan and Sara are twin sisters who are gay, and that can come through in their songs.

Julie Anne Peters has written several books about LGBT youth, most notably Luna, which is about a trans girl and her younger sister. Beautiful Music for Ugly People is about a trans boy that has his own radio station on the weekends.

As far as movies, I haven't seen too many (I don't think I've seen any at all, actually), but I've heard good things about Yes or No, an Asian film (I believe it's Thai) about two girls who fall in love. As others have said, But I'm a Cheerleader is pretty popular as well.

15. NDark

There's a book series called Soulless, by Gail Carriger, about a young woman living in an alternate Victorian England. It has lots of werewolves, actually vampiric vampires who act classy as heck, and other supernatural goings-on. I'll say it now – every single character is bisexual, or pansexual. There's no ifs or buts about it. One woman – okay, I lied, one of them's just a lesbian – dresses in men's clothing, and that causes a good amount of hubbub. It's like this:

Man: Oh, hello, ladies. Eating each others' faces, I see – what?! One of you is dressed as a man?! I say! How simply scandalous! It's dreadful! Keep making out, do, but HONESTLY SUITS ARE FOR MEN, WOMAN.

The series is chock-full of both gay and lesbian goodness; even though the main character gets together with a man, she admits that she would have otherwise wanted to marry another woman.

There's another writer named Malinda Lo who's very good at writing lesbian couples, but if you read her books, be prepared for some disappointment. Her couples don't always end up together – Huntress made me cry for an hour.

16. Abbra

If you like movies that are dumb but in a totally awesome way, I suggest Kaboom! if you want to see a gay comedy. It's completely ridiculous, but it's a ride from start to finish. It's also on Netflix.

17. lgbtqenjolras

The Birdcage is a really funny movie about a gay couple who own a night club in South Beach. They're son is marrying a conservative politician's daughter, and they try to act straight and conservative when they come over for dinner. It's funny, plus it has Robin Williams.

I am Jay is a young adult transgender novel

Shameless Us is really good

Read the destile fanfic Twist and Shout. Even if you don't watch Supernatural, it's just a great story.