1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Office question?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 9, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

If i tried to install Microsoft Word 97 on a Mac, would it work? And if not, could i get a newer version of word for a mac?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Word 9x for Macintosh (NOT Word for Windows) might run on a PowerPC-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or earlier.

Go to the Apple menu and click on "About This Mac..."; if it says anything about the processor being a PowerPC, and the operating system identifies itself as Mac OS X v. 10.4.x or earlier, then it might run through the Classic Environment (which basically runs an older version of the Mac OS on top of the one you're using).

If your operating system identifies as "Mac OS X v. 10.5.x" and/or the dialog box says anything about the processor being "Intel", it won't run.

Still, it would be a wise idea to get a newer version of Microsoft Word, as even if it worked, it would be running in suboptimal conditions. The latest version for Mac is version 2008.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you wanted to run Word for Windows, you could try Darwine

Office 2004 and Office 2008 are available for Mac (and are comparable to Office 2003 and Office 2007 respectively for Windows). If you're a student you might be able to get student pricing somewhere.

4. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or you could try the latest version of OpenOffice, which is free.

5. Nitro

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or wait for a month or so and get OpenOffice 3.0 which is supposed to use a native toolkit.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which would be asking a lot if the OP were in school and wanted a word processor for school uses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. CrimsonThunder

I have the newest version of Office and it stuffs up all the time, I keep getting my files corrupted because it is a piece of shit. Hence why I am migrating to Open Office.

9. omgitssum1

omgitssum1 Guest

I use Apple's iWork; works great and I love it!

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You can get the latest beta version (pre-release test version) of OpenOffice 3.0 for Windows (it's beta 2) so I guess you can get it for the Mac too. I've been using beta 1 then beta 2 on Windows for a while, and while beta 1 had a few problems, beta 2 has been fine for everything I'm doing with it.

Oh, remember it's completely free for everyone! :thumbsup:

It opens Microsoft Office files in the 2007/2008 format too, and can save as Microsoft Office 2003/2004 format. So you can transfer files to/from friends and school using Microsoft Office with no problems.

It also has it's own open document format which (as normal with open-source software) is intended to be a completely open format that any other software can use if they wish.

11. Nitro

Without any additional software, no. Microsoft never made a version of MS word 97 for mac (it did however release office 98, 2001, v.X, 2004, and 2008). If you really want to run word 97 you can by running a full version of windows in a virtual machine such as Virtual PC (this solution may be your best bet if you are on a PowerPC architecture [Apple>About This Mac: "Processor"]). This solution will cost you in terms of money, stability, and speed. Qemu-darwine (again for PowerPC) would be free, but is not very stable from what I gather.

If, however, you are running on an intel architecture you can use either Darwine (free like freedom and like beer) or cross over mac ($$) to run windows programs without actually installing windows on your machine (hourray!). Last but not least, if you are using an intel machine you could instal a bona fide version of windows on your machine and use MS word 97.

None of these solutions seem very practical just to run one piece of archaic software. Solutions:

- use NeoOffice - it is stable, quite functional, opens just about anything, but is kind of slow
    - use OpenOffice using native toolkit - this thing is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread ... when it is ready to release to the public. Don't hold your breath and all, but these guys could be on to something.
    - use iWork - this will import most MS formats and can export to ".doc" ".xls" etc. Nothing says mac-like, like something made by apple.
    - use a newer version of MS Office for mac - it cuts, slices, and dices, and is what everyone else has to be compatible with ... does have a habit of making wallets lighter though