1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam and Mitchell (Modern Family characters)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Carlgustav, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The characters of Cam and Mitchell on Modern Family seem to be over-the-top (no pun intended) stereotypical gay guys. Do you like the show? (I do) Do you think the portrayals of Cam and Mitchell are helpful to gay people or harmful or neither?

2. Ryujin

I like the character of Mitchell, I don't think he's too over the top and is often a voice of reason to Cam's insanity. I dislike Cam's character though, he just seems to over the top about everything, but that's just a personality trait and nothing to do with being gay.

Overall, I think having gay characters in a modern sitcom is a good and positive sign that society is becoming more accepting of them. It also shows that gay people can have proper families, contrary to what you might hear from some homophobes.

I think one of the best parts was reading of a homophobe using the Dunphy family on the front cover as an example of a proper family and why gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. Oh the irony was hilarious.

3. Candace

I LOVE MODERN FAMILY! I mean, I like them as a couple and it's good to see people like them presented in a positive way on a mainstream television station, ABC. It's a good sign that our society is moving in the right direction :slight_smile:.

4. 741852963

I think the real problem is that despite them being a couple no real intimacy is shown between the two, in contrast to the heterosexual couples on the show. The show is actually quite conservative in that regard, we don't see them cuddling, kissing, having sex - they are just treated more as roommates.

Now I am sure there are plenty of couples, gay and straight out there in similarly sexless arrangements - if the shows creators had that in mind when writing the characters fair enough. However it seems odd how the straight couples do express such intimacy.

5. xplodingpassion

I love Modern Family and i dont feel they're too stereotypical some elements of there characters do seem that way but especially with Mitchell I feel like they stayed away from the stereotypical gay character nicely, there's complexity to him

6. AAASAS

I'm sort of meh on them. They re just characters and it's good that the producers don't feel the need to avoid stereotypes. Stereotypical gay men are more comical anyway and better for ratings.