1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dr Who :Spoilers (kinda)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SeaSalt, Aug 23, 2014.

1. SeaSalt

So im watching the new Dr Who and one of the first things I notice (After the bitchin new opening) was that they have imediately added a married lesbian couple. Even though one of them is a rather fine looking lizard woman I just thought that it was wonderful that the BBC is starting to add some strong LGBT characters who arent played by John Barrowman!

Bravo BBC! (!)

2. Minnie

They've been on the show for AGES!

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

They've been on the show a while, but they made it WAY more explicit in this one! Usually it's quite subtle or just one or two comments. Not only was there a lot of mentioning of the fact that they were married and flirting, but:

1. They had one of the couple posing with a bit of cleavage whilst her wife was supposedly painting her, and:

2. AN INTER-SPECIES LESBIAN KISS!

4. SeaSalt

I knew they have been on the show for ages but I didnt know they had mentioned the relationship between them before. and ccdd is right, they show alot more stuff than they have done before. Im just waiting for the exposing children bull shizzle.

5. Minnie

It's been known for a while that they are a couple.

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

And it wasn't exactly a kiss, rather a pre-passing-out mouth-to-mouth. BUT still probably enough to get the conservative parents p****ed off.

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Yeah, they had to 'disguise' the fact it was a lesbian kiss by making it (1) inter-species and (2) really about mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. But still, progress is progress! I'm just hoping that that isn't why it was on at the rather late time of 7:50pm - still pre-watershed, but not as early as it's on next week.

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Geez, as a transgender person, I could really identify with the themes of this episode. So many times have I wished people could see "me" instead of my face. So many times have I wished people wouldn't take me for the person they've constructed in their heads. I just wanted to give the Doctor a great big hug!

Also, the fact that the clockwork robots came back was amazing! Great episode, loving Capaldi and can't wait to see more of him and that mysterious woman at the end.

8. Ryujin

Vastra and Jenny have been some of my favourite characters in the whoverse for a while. I got excited when i saw that they were going to be in the episode :grin:

9. Dakeli27

Haven't seen the new episode, but I do love Jenny, Vastra and Strax. Hear they were considering doing a Torchwood-esque spinoff about them.

10. Ryujin

Really?
    I will watch it!
    Com on BBC, don't make me come down there!

11. 101DeadRoses

The new doctor is fine and all, but I will always see David Tennant and Matt Smith as my doctor who(s)

And I would pay cash money to see them make out. Or just a kiss. But seriously.

12. Dakeli27

^^
    But Matt Smith has committed an atrocity and cut his hair, so you'll have to wait a bit.

13. 101DeadRoses

Shh I know. But I don't care. I still have my money saved up.

14. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit the last season lost me completely, I love Matt Smith he might be my favourite but the writing was all over the place and I just got kinda sick of it. However Peter Capaldi is one of my favourite actors ever so I knew I'd be back for this series and he didn't disappoint at all. I think by the end of this series he'll easily be my favourite doctor great blend of his Malcolm Tucker traits mixed with the Doctors more well known personality. Plus I find him outrageously handsome which I know is weird but I can't help it.

The writing seems to have picked up a notch too (I've watched the leaked episodes, I'm awful I know.)

15. Black Swan

THEY KISSED AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND I THOUGHT THEY NEVER WOULD :').
    And I loved the flirting with Clara too. It was like, screw this, everyone's a lesbian. This episode had so much gay I wanted to cry tears of joy. Loving the new series :slight_smile:.

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Also: I have a thing for Clara. Well, for Jenna Coleman! A REALLY big thing! (I also really like red on a woman...). When she was first introduced I think that it was hinted at that her characted was bi... I SO hope this is true. That is some kissing I would LOVE to see! Let's hope they really lez it up!

17. SeaSalt

It was wonderful to see that they arent scared to show stuff like that anymore. I also loved all of the Scotland vs England pokes (Voice recognition not working cracked me up).
    To say the least the changes they have made have certainly brought me back to the series. Am I the only one who thinks Peter Capaldi is kinda hot?

18. Water lover

Water lover Guest

For one of the first episodes of dr who I watched it was pretty good. In all really I never thought about them kissing until now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . I didn't really like the new docter (he's old). The new show intruders after it was better I though. Anyway did the doctor just murder someone?

19. kem

kem

Capaldi is H O T. I mean like WOW. Not that I'd make out with him but if I was his age... I love the darker tone and the thematic elements, I hope they keep it up.
    I found a lot of similarities between Smith's and Capaldi's portrayals of the Doctor. It's not a bad thing exactly, but I was wishing for something radically different. I'm sure that as the series progresses, Capaldi's performance will go its own way.
    P.S: The Doctor's age is like 2000 something, of course he is old.

Loved the episode, especially the Jenny-Vastra synergy. And I especially liked how "normal" they portrayed them.

#19 kem, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Vastra and Jenny were first introduced in June 2011, and have now featured in 5 episodes (not including additional webisodes).

They were revealed to be married in their second appearance - the Christmas 2012 episode - so it's not a new thing! :slight_smile:

But I agree, I liked the way they played it up a little more in this episode. And the flirting with Clara got a big thumbs up from me, haha

I didn't like the new Doctor at all. I was never really a Matt Smith fan either but I would take him over Capaldi any day. I'm only watching this series for Jenna Coleman :icon_wink

#20 Pax, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014