1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Ever Steal Ideas

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I never steal dance moves, I interpret them though. I don't steal lyrics either because songs are very personal, plus I may not even understand the lyric. What about you?

2. the haunted

It really depends on the idea or situation. I try not to, but if I strongly feel the same way they do then I will. I don't call it stealing. I call it... collaborating. If it's costing me money or my job, you bet your ass I'm going to steal it. I don't make music or dance if those are the kinds of ideas you're referring to.

As for not understanding someone's lyrics, a lot of artists purposely have lyrics that can have several meanings depending on who is interpreting them. Art? Maybe. Or maybe they want to sell their shit to a large audience, so they make it very relate-able.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]
    Uh, I don't plagarize, I freestyle? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never steal ideas on purpose, but one is influenced by many different things.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

Yes i steal ideas, i thrive on stolen ideas, they live inside me, i make them my own!

6. AAASAS

I've made songs that were heavily influenced by others. Never stole a riff or melody, but the mood I definitely aimed for.

I also wouldn't have ever been able to make decent drum lines myself if I didn't base them off others because I don't have much of a background with drums.

I think when it comes to the arts, people need to be inspired sometimes by others.

Stealing something purely isn't right, but being influenced isn't and people could consider that stealing a sound, when they are merely just aiming for a similar atmosphere.

Sometimes when I'm listening to a song, I can imagine a new melody which would've never came into my head had I never been listening to that song.

Again plagiarism is wrong, but being influenced is alright.

My humour has also been heavily influenced by the programmes I watch. If I never watched South Park and Arrested Development when I was younger I wouldn't like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Archer, and half the shows I enjoy

#6 AAASAS, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No, I might be inspired, but I don't outright take things.

8. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I often take an idea from someone else and then distort it and twist it in order to make it more interesting and more Me.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take from one source, it's plagiarism. Take from many sources, it's research. :wink:

10. PICollins91

I'm always a bit too hard on myself as almost everything I write or put online I delete or toss away as I feel I feel like everything I write is boring and unoriginal compared to many peers, but I hear that's a common issue with lots of writers as it's that personal touch is what makes it yours and it's hard to detect that yourself. I admit to taking influence from loads of other artists but I want to take genres they work in and give it my personal touch. I might throw in a homage every now and then like giving someone a certain outfit or someone driving a same type of car in reference to a favorite movie or book which had an influence on me but I won't outright steal the whole story and call it my own. The final cut of whatever I'm writing needs to be in my signature so to speak otherwise I will toss it out.